Monday Recruiting Chatter - 1/21

We had such a weak-*** close last season it's hard to know how things will play out this time around. Richt was in charge, but Diaz was DC. And I'm not sure we closed on anyone who wasn't already committed, and almost lost Nesta in the end. We did pick up Odenigbo and Boulware, and they were critical transfers. But overall, the close was a whimper.

This year certainly feels different We have momentum with Bolden and Martell, as well as all the LBs and Thomas coming back. This year, recruits' calculus isn't a good-ole-boy HC running an anemic offense with a Top 20 defense. It's a relentless HC with an elite OC and a Top 5 defense that he personally built. Our close rate should reflect that massive improvement. But I don't think it will be 100% either. We'll win some and lose some.

Biggest hole is still QB until Martell gets his waiver, if he does. After that, I'd put OT, DE and DT as priorities 1, 2 and 3. I'll take the CB and the LB if they come. But we need another QB and help on both sides of the line above all else.

Advertisement
Is it just me or is anyone concerned the staff continues to pursue all positions except OL, a glaring deficiency at this time? I get it that it’s kind of late in the game pursuing OLs at this time, but I see a lot of flip candidates at the other positions, why not OL? Just thinking.

Currently, Miami has 10 offensive lineman on scholarship and have four spots for commitments (Kennedy, Clark, Nelson, El Gammel).

Unfortunately, Miami has several players on the OL that are unusable roster players (you know most of the names at this point), but the total number of scholarship players is right around where it should be. It seems Miami is going to go a little heavy on DL this cycle if the finish hits, which limit the number of scholarships for 2019 OL.

I would expect some serious roster attrition on the OL through next off-season. Lots of dudes who will not play here. We're already starting to see some of it...Boulware left early (I thought he was serviceable FWIW), Mahoney and Milo have been shown the door. Would expect numerous others to be shown the door in the next calendar year...including but not limited to Brown, Herbert, Dykstra and have a large OL class in 2020.

We had such a weak-*** close last season it's hard to know how things will play out this time around. Richt was in charge, but Diaz was DC. And I'm not sure we closed on anyone who wasn't already committed, and almost lost Nesta in the end. We did pick up Odenigbo and Boulware, and they were critical transfers. But overall, the close was a whimper.

This year certainly feels different We have momentum with Bolden and Martell, as well as all the LBs and Thomas coming back. This year, recruits' calculus isn't a good-ole-boy HC running an anemic offense with a Top 20 defense. It's a relentless HC with an elite OC and a Top 5 defense that he personally built. Our close rate should reflect that massive improvement. But I don't think it will be 100% either. We'll win some and lose some.

Biggest hole is still QB until Martell gets his waiver, if he does. After that, I'd put OT, DE and DT as priorities 1, 2 and 3. I'll take the CB and the LB if they come. But we need another QB and help on both sides of the line above all else.

Name the last year we DIDN'T have a "weak *** close"

LOL. Fair point, and I know you said it for dramatic effect. But we had a good close in 2012 (Bush, McCord, Howard) and a decent close in 2017 (JT, Herbert). I'm hoping for something at least like 2012.

Advertisement
LOL. Fair point, and I know you said it for dramatic effect. But we had a good close in 2012 (Bush, McCord, Howard) and a decent close in 2017 (JT, Herbert). I'm hoping for something at least like 2012.

Will probably have to wait a year for that.
This is still a transition class. We finished 7-6.
Hopefully we show these kids something ON the field next year, and Diaz gets that 2nd year bump/hype.

Currently, Miami has 10 offensive lineman on scholarship and have four spots for commitments (Kennedy, Clark, Nelson, El Gammel).

Unfortunately, Miami has several players on the OL that are unusable roster players (you know most of the names at this point), but the total number of scholarship players is right around where it should be. It seems Miami is going to go a little heavy on DL this cycle if the finish hits, which limit the number of scholarships for 2019 OL.

I would expect some serious roster attrition on the OL through next off-season. Lots of dudes who will not play here. We're already starting to see some of it...Boulware left early (I thought he was serviceable FWIW), Mahoney and Milo have been shown the door. Would expect numerous others to be shown the door in the next calendar year...including but not limited to Brown, Herbert, Dykstra and have a large OL class in 2020.

Agree, I will add that Brown is going to be a redshirt senior next year and will be gone regardless. However, would be nice if he hits the portal after spring ball.

Isnt there somewhere else you can talk about politics?

Blows my mind that people come on a recruiting board to trash one side or the other

I'm not trashing anyone.... I just presented a facts based approach to a statement made earlier about the economy in California... People can disagree that's fine, but at the end of the day The State/ local officials in California are responsible for the quality of living in that state.

Advertisement
Agree, I will add that Brown is going to be a redshirt senior next year and will be gone regardless. However, would be nice if he hits the portal after spring ball.

He should have been shown the door with Mahoney and Milo, IMO.

LSU players put this dude on blast once he transferred and they were not wrong.

I was just in Westwood just a couple months ago.

What I meant was in proximity to the Downtown area, Westwood to DTLA is very similar to Coral Gables to Downtown Miami.
Fvck no it's not... to get to downtown Miami from campus is like 5 minutes. From UCLA to downtown la is an hr easy

Actually Compton is a little further south and 2 the East.

Real talk, being that I’m from there, much rather be in the BPT than So Central LA. So Central, especially around SC is tricky. If ur not familiar w the area, u can easily find yourself on the wrong side of town b/c the street boards change in the blink of an eye and it’s heavilu densed w fiends, d boys, and gangs

Advertisement
Fvck no it's not... to get to downtown Miami from campus is like 5 minutes. From UCLA to downtown la is an hr easy

Do you live here?

You ain't getting from your home to a main road in five minutes in Miami traffic.

UM to downtown is a little under 10 miles. You're looking at 25-30m with mild traffic up US1.

A quick Google Maps Search tells me from UCLA to downtown LA right now is 35m in 16 miles.

Do you live here?

You ain't getting from your home to a main road in five minutes in Miami traffic.

UM to downtown is a little under 10 miles. You're looking at 25-30m with mild traffic up US1.

A quick Google Maps Search tells me from UCLA to downtown LA right now is 35m in 16 miles.

Yeah, good luck with that 5 minute ride. Must be using Saban's helicopter.

Advertisement
The close was weak but boy last year's class and the one before it were the best in 15 years so who cares how the close was. It is the overall work that matters. Richt did 1 great thing for UM - he brought the talent level up to 2003-2005 levels again. Now it is Diaz's job to get it back to 99-2002 levels.

Advertisement
Back