Monday Recruiting Chatter - 1/21

View as article
Advertisement
I've been to Westwood. My son applied to USC. I told him it hugs Compton. I said if you want to go to school in LA, then you apply to UCLA because Westwood is beautiful. The Gables does have comparable. You just cannot walk from Hecht across the street unless you want to go to the Shake Shack. The Shoppes at Merrick Park are maybe 2 miles tops.

Classic fear. It is hilarious how popular fear has become. I am a USC alum. Not 1% of one day was ever devoted to thinking about Compton. It was nothing but awesome camaraderie on a great scenic tranquil campus.

Parents should not play a role in decisions like that. They know the old stereotypes but not much else. My dad was terrific in understanding as much. When I was considering colleges he said to me, "Anything I would tell you would be from the '50s."

The best post in this thread was from someone who described the changes in Westwood from the '80s to today. As he indicated, still a nice area but no longer the trendy spot for 18-35 night life. When I was at 'SC we frequently went to movies, eateries and clubs in Westwood. Standing in line alongside Bruins. Night after night.

In fact, Westwood is at least 100x more a part of the typical USC student's life than Compton. That's how absurd the parental stereotypes can be.

I have never confused Westwood and Coral Gables. But I guess in relation to other areas where college campuses are located, a UCLA transfer would consider Coral Gables more equivalent than just about anywhere else.

Classic fear. It is hilarious how popular fear has become. I am a USC alum. Not 1% of one day was ever devoted to thinking about Compton. It was nothing but awesome camaraderie on a great scenic tranquil campus.

Parents should not play a role in decisions like that. They know the old stereotypes but not much else. My dad was terrific in understanding as much. When I was considering colleges he said to me, "Anything I would tell you would be from the '50s."

The best post in this thread was from someone who described the changes in Westwood from the '80s to today. As he indicated, still a nice area but no longer the trendy spot for 18-35 night life. When I was at 'SC we frequently went to movies, eateries and clubs in Westwood. Standing in line alongside Bruins. Night after night.

In fact, Westwood is at least 100x more a part of the typical USC student's life than Compton. That's how absurd the parental stereotypes can be.

I have never confused Westwood and Coral Gables. But I guess in relation to other areas where college campuses are located, a UCLA transfer would consider Coral Gables more equivalent than just about anywhere else.

LoL. Spoken like a true Trojan. I was half kidding with my son. I told him if he gets accepted that we would take a visit to LA and it is his decision. I traveled to LA a lot to do work at LA Air Station so I know the area fairly well. He applied to Stanford, USC, Maryland, USAFA and Miami. He got into 4 of 5 (not Stanford). He flat out said if I get into Stanford I'm going because their aero program is top notch. But he was set on USAFA or Miami after Stanford turned him down so we visited both in April before he had to make his decision. I also told him he didn't have to follow my decision. He asked me and I said he should go to the Zoo. He decided on Miami. I would have supported whatever his decision. The kid wants to fly the F-22 so he is not exactly a hamster. And who the **** I am I to worry since I flew gunships, which is somewhat of an occupational hazard. LoL

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back