MLS stadium

Mr. Crabs Cane

Recruit
I saw articles today about the new MLS stadium being 25,000 ppl without parking in Overtown. Seems like it will be a mess. I know UM discussed working with the Beckham ppl a couple of years ago, and that's a dead issue. I don't live in Miami's anymore so I was just curious what the local politics are actually like from some of the local Miami ppl. Is this actually happening or more fake new?

Advertisement
Advertisement
What could possibly go wrong with thousands of people getting lost in Overtown looking for a place to park for a match.
Oh, wait let me guess they'll take public transportation.

We've got one of the best stadiums in college football now. Let's go play is a POS soccer stadium.

Advertisement
We've got one of the best stadiums in college football now. Let's go play is a POS soccer stadium.

Come for the Metrorail ride into the hood. Stay for the scoreless tie.

I was all about trying to throw in on this and capitalize on the local politicians apparent slurping of Beckham but you're absolutely right- Hard Kock is more than adequate and this futbol deal will be lucky to even be adequate for its intended purpose. This isn't and will never be a region prone to public transportation use.

Wonder how many families could be displace because of this.

Not many. It's a preexisting parcel of vacant land owned by the county. Let's be honest too, eminent domain is like hitting the lottery if you live in a dilapidated area. It's not very "American" but the displaced people *usually get wayyyyy more than their real value of their homes/land.

The only people who care/d about the Beckham stadium deal are people who live way out in southwest dade that complain about driving to Hard Rock. You know, the same people who claimed they'd go to Marlins games if they moved the team closer to them.

Advertisement
I am in St. Pete and we too are trying to land an MLS team. The last I read, both Miami and St. Pete have zero chance. Apparently, the league is very happy with O city and does not want to do anything to potentially hurt it....................as usual, late to the party and no ride home.

I am in St. Pete and we too are trying to land an MLS team. The last I read, both Miami and St. Pete have zero chance. Apparently, the league is very happy with O city and does not want to do anything to potentially hurt it....................as usual, late to the party and no ride home.

MLS has already granted Beckham the franchise, if it doesn't happen it's because of Miami politics not the MLS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not many soccer stadiums have parking

And this is also misleading Beckham BS.

The Orlando City stadium has a ton of PUBLIC parking and other private parking alternatives nearby. The stadium is a couple of blocks from the Arena, as well as a dozen municipal parking lots. In addition, the Magic will be building a mixed use entertainment/dining facility which will also have parking. Also, lots of smaller streets are closed down around game times, though nothing as significant as 12th or 8th Avenues.

There's nowhere near the same number of parking spots within a comparable radius when you analyze the Miami MLS site. Even if you parked everyone at the Orange Bowl (go ahead, call it a baseball stadium, if you must), it would still involve a significant trek across the Miami River, which is not exactly a great route for 25,000 pedestrians to travel while the normal traffic whizzes by.

I just don't understand the Miami site plan, without building at least ONE of the garages that the Marlins have.

Advertisement

That's not really true.

It's unlikely that BOTH Miami and Tampa/St. Pete would get teams, but one might. Orlando City would enjoy having a nearby rival, right now our biggest "rival" is NYC FC because we came into the league at the same time.

Tampa Bay won't know its chances until MLS and Beckham resolve their issues. Tampa could be "right time/right place" if Beckham blows it.

The only people who care/d about the Beckham stadium deal are people who live way out in southwest dade that complain about driving to Hard Rock. You know, the same people who claimed they'd go to Marlins games if they moved the team closer to them.

Yeah because the trip from deep SW Dade is so quick to Downtown Miami.

not many soccer stadiums have parking

And this is also misleading Beckham BS.

The Orlando City stadium has a ton of PUBLIC parking and other private parking alternatives nearby. The stadium is a couple of blocks from the Arena, as well as a dozen municipal parking lots. In addition, the Magic will be building a mixed use entertainment/dining facility which will also have parking. Also, lots of smaller streets are closed down around game times, though nothing as significant as 12th or 8th Avenues.

There's nowhere near the same number of parking spots within a comparable radius when you analyze the Miami MLS site. Even if you parked everyone at the Orange Bowl (go ahead, call it a baseball stadium, if you must), it would still involve a significant trek across the Miami River, which is not exactly a great route for 25,000 pedestrians to travel while the normal traffic whizzes by.

I just don't understand the Miami site plan, without building at least ONE of the garages that the Marlins have.

Exactly. They're taking a major gamble with the parking and it'll likely be their eventual ruination. They cite cities where public transportation/walking was already embraced/accepted or the desire to create a European style city wide convergence/party on foot to the games. The later is just pie in the sky and the former isn't going to start as a result of soccer "fever". Half of South Florida lives with earshot of Publix or Walgreens and still chooses to arrive at them by vehicle. Not to mention that the Metrofail just announced that it was cutting back weekend service due to lack of riders.

If they couldn't have landed an overwhelmingly aesthetically pleasing site like the parcel next to the Science Center and Perez Art Museum they should've just went with somewhere with highway access and space for parking.

Last edited:

Yeah because the trip from deep SW Dade is so quick to Downtown Miami.

It's still closer than Hard Rock. Nobody else gives a crap about UM playing anywhere besides Hard Rock. They like to use the "students need games closer to campus" excuse but they just don't want to have to drive all the way to Miami Gardens from Kendal.

Advertisement
Back