MLS stadium

The only people who care/d about the Beckham stadium deal are people who live way out in southwest dade that complain about driving to Hard Rock. You know, the same people who claimed they'd go to Marlins games if they moved the team closer to them.

Yeah because the trip from deep SW Dade is so quick to Downtown Miami.

It's still closer than Hard Rock. Nobody else gives a crap about UM playing anywhere besides Hard Rock. They like to use the "students need games closer to campus" excuse but they just don't want to have to drive all the way to Miami Gardens from Kendal.

It might be closer, but the time it takes to get there is probably about the same.

Advertisement
The only people who care/d about the Beckham stadium deal are people who live way out in southwest dade that complain about driving to Hard Rock. You know, the same people who claimed they'd go to Marlins games if they moved the team closer to them.

It's still closer than Hard Rock. Nobody else gives a crap about UM playing anywhere besides Hard Rock. They like to use the "students need games closer to campus" excuse but they just don't want to have to drive all the way to Miami Gardens from Kendal.

It might be closer, but the time it takes to get there is probably about the same.

I hate when people use the Marlin's situation as an example for future failures of another franchise in a different sport.

Yes, the Miami fan is full of excuses, but not all excuses are BS... when the Marlins were playing in Sunlife stadium, the stadium was the worst baseball and football stadium in all of America. That sun hitting those orange seats in the summer made going to a 1pm Marlins weekday game impossible. Even a weekend one was highly a no go. Same for the canes and Dolphins

They won't go now even if it's closer because people simply hate Loria and Samson for the way they went about the stadium deal,and threatened to leave. I wish Ft Lauderdale would have build them a stadium near downtown las olas and kept the, as the Florida Marlins. I hate that this city tore down the OB for those 2 greedy fcks...plus baseball overall just isn't too exciting.

I see MLS coming here and eventually failing. This isn't Portland where a bunch of hipsters live near the urban core and refuse to turn on their cars (if they even have one) unless the drive is further than 15 miles. Way different culture out there, and weather which allows for walking and biking to the stadium. If Beckham wanted MLS to succeeed out here, he would have bought land near Doral and Westchester...no one except a handful of dorks will attend games in Over Town.

At least we will have a backup plan for a stadium once the lease runs out in 15 years and MLS has flopped in Miami.

The Marlins example is a poor one. The Marlins situation isn't black and white but you're delusional if you think the Marlins aren't in a better position now in Miami than they were at SLS. It's not even close. The Marlins have a lot of baggage that have infuriated not only the fans but the tax payers in Miami. It is a very complex situation. That being said, i think once this POS owner sells and the Marlins put a good product on the field they will draw respectable crowds and have a stronger following. We already saw signs of that before Loria did his last fire sale after promising not to. It's obvious you're from Broward and sound bitter. Don't worry, the Canes aren't leaving the Hard Rock (and they shouldn't) now especially after the renovations but don't pretend the location to the stadium isn't a major fail for this program.

Last edited:

I ran out of up votes to give this.

Also.. these mfers really about to put a stadium right in the hood with no parking? oookaaayyy.
Setting up a lot of people to get rob or their cars to get took.. then after a couple matches in and fans will start to make excuses as to why they don't go to the game.. I can see a bunch here.. "No parking", "dangerous neighborhood, don't want my kids going near there", or the mighty excuse "It hot" yet they always gloating to other states about our weather etc..

Anyways, this has fail all over it.. I hope this get rejected.. Their our only shot at a Stadium of our own that could basically be our after MLS fails in Miami. We need them to get this right so Miami can seriously consider moving into their stadium if the stadium is respectable of course..

I hate when people use the Marlin's situation as an example for future failures of another franchise in a different sport.

Yes, the Miami fan is full of excuses, but not all excuses are BS... when the Marlins were playing in Sunlife stadium, the stadium was the worst baseball and football stadium in all of America. That sun hitting those orange seats in the summer made going to a 1pm Marlins weekday game impossible. Even a weekend one was highly a no go. Same for the canes and Dolphins

They won't go now even if it's closer because people simply hate Loria and Samson for the way they went about the stadium deal,and threatened to leave. I wish Ft Lauderdale would have build them a stadium near downtown las olas and kept the, as the Florida Marlins. I hate that this city tore down the OB for those 2 greedy fcks...plus baseball overall just isn't too exciting.

I see MLS coming here and eventually failing. This isn't Portland where a bunch of hipsters live near the urban core and refuse to turn on their cars (if they even have one) unless the drive is further than 15 miles. Way different culture out there, and weather which allows for walking and biking to the stadium. If Beckham wanted MLS to succeeed out here, he would have bought land near Doral and Westchester...no one except a handful of dorks will attend games in Over Town.

At least we will have a backup plan for a stadium once the lease runs out in 15 years and MLS has flopped in Miami.

The Canes aren't moving into a MLS stadium especially in Overtown. If Miami ever leaves the Hard Rock it will be to its own venue. I hated SLS more than anyone but with the new renovations it doesn't make sense for Miami to leave. For once, the venue has more pro's than con's. The home field advantage and shade being a major reason to stay.

Advertisement
SLS is in the perfect location IMO. I will never understand the hate towards this stadium. The only draw back is the distance from campus. Aside from that, the highway access from both North , South, and West coupled with available parking make the location ideal. Now with the renovations completed, it is **** near perfect.

Beckham would be smart to find a similar location, where Broward and west palm fans can share in the sport and where there is a vast amount of parking available in order to appeal to the most fans as possible.

Assuming this hypothetical: that a bare bones 25K MLS stadium gets approved and built somewhere in South Florida, with plenty of parking, in an upscale easy-to-get-to location.

Now let's assume the franchise fails and leaves town.

Some of you were making it sound that could be our possible future home.

Not a chance in a billion, even if it has plenty of parking and is in a great location.

We are approaching somewhere to approximately 45 to 47,000 season tickets this coming year.

Even if somehow you could magically expand the stadium to 50,000, you would still have a basic, bare-bones, high school type stadium for one of the premier P5 programs in the nation. No thanks. Donors and ticket holders would not have it.

Anyway it won't happen.

Get this through your tiny little pin heads, unless we find a benefactor willing to kick in upwards of $400 million, you will never see anything other than what we have now in your lifetime. Our current stadium, for the vast majority of people that attend games, the season-ticket holders, is perfect. We can't do better than what we have now.

People that actually attend the games are the ones that count, and they don't want any of those bullshīt solutions. What we have is perfect, based on our situation.

End of story.

SLS is in the perfect location IMO. I will never understand the hate towards this stadium. The only draw back is the distance from campus. Aside from that, the highway access from both North , South, and West coupled with available parking make the location ideal. Now with the renovations completed, it is **** near perfect.

Beckham would be smart to find a similar location, where Broward and west palm fans can share in the sport and where there is a vast amount of parking available in order to appeal to the most fans as possible.

Except the Dolphins, Marlins and Canes have exposed that Miami/Broward/WPB theory to be not true. That stadium has a strong history of poor attendance. Easy access with the highways yes, but the location is horrific for Miami and Broward fans. The attendance to the events speak for themselves.

MLS belongs in Downtown Miami but the Banana Republic ruined it for everyone.

Except the Dolphins, Marlins and Canes have exposed that Miami/Broward/WPB theory to be not true. That stadium has a strong history of poor attendance. Easy access with the highways yes, but the location is horrific for Miami and Broward fans. The attendance to the events speak for themselves.

Uhhh the OB had as bad if not worse attendance than SLS has. The new upgrades and roof have made the stadium great and will only get better when the latest rounds of renovation are complete in late July early August.

Advertisement

Wrong.

You do know that average attendance since we have been at SLS has been higher than ANY year in the OB, don't you.

I've been to both venues, many as a kid and adult in the OB.

More butts in seats on average now. That's just a fact.

And I don't speak for the Fins, but their attendance is proportional to on field performance. How have they performed at SLS? There's your answer.

SLS is absolutely in the perfect location.

And if you would actually go to games there, you would know how centrally located it is, but also how easy it is to get in and out of there.

Last edited:

Wrong.

You do know that average attendance since we have been at SLS has been higher than ANY year in the OB, don't you.

And I don't speak for the Fins, but their attendance is proportional to on field performance. How have they performed at SLS? There's your answer.

And if you would actually go to games there, you would know how centrally located it is, but also how easy it is to get in and out of there.

That's not accurate.

In 2002, we averaged 65k at the OB. At least, that's what averaged in ticket sales. Lol at the notion more fans attend games at SLS. I been a season ticket holder for both venues and couldn't disagree more.

Uhhh the OB had as bad if not worse attendance than SLS has. The new upgrades and roof have made the stadium great and will only get better when the latest rounds of renovation are complete in late July early August.

Not arguing about renovations. I agree with you there. I'm not saying we should leave HR either. However, i am arguing the location is ******* terrible. It is what it is and rightfully so it's not changing anytime soon.

Wrong about attendance but i see other posters have already addressed that. You must be forgetting the south Florida sports fan only comes out when teams are winning.

As far a the location being "horrific for Miami and broward fans" , how so? You literally have a DIRECT exit dedicated to the stadium off the highway. You can get there through a myriad other routes as well. Have you even been to other stadiums? Try leaving a packed heat game and compare that to SLS.

Your comment about "MLS belongs in downtown Miami" is also disagreeable. MLS will fail down here , there's already too much competition. Sorry soccer lovers but MLS is better off sticking to cities like Orlando, where there's isn't 4 professional teams and the most badass college football team to ever exist already occupying the area.

Advertisement

That's not accurate.

In 2002, we averaged 65k at the OB. At least, that's what averaged in ticket sales. Lol at the notion more fans attend games at SLS. I been a season ticket holder for both venues and couldn't disagree more.

I was off on the "ANY" comment, that's on me. But I've got the numbers and they are mind blowing. Just don't have time to post it this second. Later will post. You'll see and you will be shocked.

You can't really compare attendance figure from before about 2005 and after. Attendance used to be just that - attendance. The NCAA now allows creative attendance figure that many times do not reflect reality

Advertisement
You can't really compare attendance figure from before about 2005 and after. Attendance used to be just that - attendance. The NCAA now allows creative attendance figure that many times do not reflect reality

You can only go with numbers that are published. While those numbers may not reflect no-shows, they are more accurate as far as actual tickets sold. Not perfect, but it's the only published data available.

not many soccer stadiums have parking

? I'm guessing you just pulled that out of your ***

He did.
But he's right.....as far as many south American and European countries are concerned (see England with
the London teams).
But cities in other countries have different cultures and infrastructures than what we have here, which is
more of a car culture.

Oh, and LOL at the Beckham group proposing a 25K stadium in Overtown with no parking.
According to a Miami Herald reporter who was on the Sirius Soccer Channel, the Beckham folks were asked
about the lack of parking at a hearing in Miami, and they said something about folks jumping on ferries on
the Miami River to get to the stadium.
Is this real life?
LOL.
Pro soccer in Miami will fail immensely.
Folks who think it will succeed because of the latin Americans in the area
don't understand those cultures.

The Strikers had a good following during the 1970s, but Broward has changed
considerably the last 40 years, so not sure if that is a sure thing either.

Assuming this hypothetical: that a bare bones 25K MLS stadium gets approved and built somewhere in South Florida, with plenty of parking, in an upscale easy-to-get-to location.

Now let's assume the franchise fails and leaves town.

Some of you were making it sound that could be our possible future home.

Not a chance in a billion, even if it has plenty of parking and is in a great location.

We are approaching somewhere to approximately 45 to 47,000 season tickets this coming year.

Even if somehow you could magically expand the stadium to 50,000, you would still have a basic, bare-bones, high school type stadium for one of the premier P5 programs in the nation. No thanks. Donors and ticket holders would not have it.

Anyway it won't happen.

Get this through your tiny little pin heads, unless we find a benefactor willing to kick in upwards of $400 million, you will never see anything other than what we have now in your lifetime. Our current stadium, for the vast majority of people that attend games, the season-ticket holders, is perfect. We can't do better than what we have now.

People that actually attend the games are the ones that count, and they don't want any of those bullsh&#2 99;t solutions. What we have is perfect, based on our situation.

End of story.

uhh what? who are these people attending the game are you talking about? You understand no one would talk about the location or this entire subject in general on whether Miami need find a way move closer to campus if these people you're talking about actually fill the stadium at least 3/4 on Saturdays (plural - Not just FSU, big name) in the NINE YEARS (Plural - Not just THIS or 2 seasons) we been at HRS...

At the end of the day, people want it closer to the campus because #1 more students can make the games bumping up attendance a bit and #2 when Miami was playing at the OB in Lil' Havana .. Miami didn't have as bad of a reputation when Canes football became relevant in the 80s. Not saying we were packing the OB but we would at the very least have about 40k for P5 like opponents (very respectable) but the OB was pushing like 73k.. I mean we had #6 Clemson in our stadium in '15 and u would of swore we were playing Kent State by the amount of people that was out there.. even with Golden as our HC, if that Clemson game been in the OB we would of at least had 40-45k.

Advertisement
Back