Mitchell Agude (DE transfer) puts UM in his Top 4 (COMMITS)

We have on paper a great staff.

But let’s not kid ourselves, our defensive front seven is a HUGE problem.

It’s incredibly thin, both talent wise and depth wise. So much so, that it will contribute to losses next year. Mark my word.

We need a talent infusion like nobody’s business.

It’s going be almost next to impossible to make up for it in the portal, but we at least have to do the best we can.

Take the sunshine glasses off and look at our talent base realistically.
The whole defense is paper thin except for Safety and that is if Balom is back healthy.

Advertisement
Hadn’t heard his name before, but looks like Miami is working him to commit. Very interesting take by the staff. Just watched his highlights… he’s fast!! And relentless. Kinda remind me of the kid we missed out on that transferred to fsu instead.

Ok.

So his head says Volunteers.

His heart says Washington.

His crank says Oergon.

His right nipple says Miami.

Oh he com'n. Cane lock.

The Portal is a blessing. You are getting guys who are physically developed, experienced and hungry. The key is just making sure you aren't bringing any bad apples into the program.

I expect significantly more Portal additions. 8-9 would not surprise me.
Bring ‘em all.

Let’s win

I'm not sure I agree with the assessment that we have holes all over the defense. Scheme, development and playing favorites were issues under the previous regime. We may not have rabid 4/5 stars who are foamng at the mouth at every position, but there's some talent to work with with 4/5 stars sprinkled on like salt bae. There's a lot we don't yet know about Elijah Roberts, Chase Smith and other highly regarded talents who sat behind the Jon Fords and Amari Carters in clown world from 2019-2021.

Advertisement
When did Chantz become a pencilled in starter?

He hasn’t even flashed as being a good player, Harvey as at least shown some potential, but Chantz has been an overrated speed rusher since HS & hasn’t been good at all IMO.

Take this kid or any other DE that’s wants in, immediately.

This is why some of yall are gonna be in for a rude awakening once the season starts, I think a lot of our fans are really underestimating how poorly structured this roster is & how many holes we have on Defense.

Yes we have the greatest coaching staff ever, but even Bill Walsh & Bill Belichick couldn’t turn this roster into an ACC champion overnight. This will be a 2-3 year rebuild if we’re really being honest, we need Portal help at literally every level except for QB, RB & TE.
Agree, I never understood the takes of 10 wins being the floor. A 9-3 year 1 for Mario Cristobal would be a great start to me. Really everything outside of Safety on defense is a question mark. Yes we got some DE recruit's coming but Moss and Kelly are going to need to time to develop.

Harvey and Chantz are the starters, obviously.

But do you want this guy to get burn over the freshman? Mind you, Njalik and Cyrus are not normal freshman & Moss is an EE.

I'm not hating on the guy. Mario has apparently offered him and that carries weight. I just don't want to see a one year rental player get more burn than a more talented freshman.
I want however is best to play. All i know about moss is that he will hopefully be good one day but he will be light as **** all of next year. The idea he is going to be play meaningfully is far-fetched to me.

I took heat last year when I looked at the defensive depth chart and called them the JAG bridage. We need help at D man, there are probably four of our starters who would start at a decent power five school. Our front seven depth is terrible and only safety is in a good spot. I think Mario will fix this **** with some portal studS though.

Advertisement
Now do we have the talent to win the coastal, we do, with some good coaching and a little luck, but this roster is not without its holes, and I keep repeating, the defensive front seven is thin, both talent wise and depth wise. We get hit with the injury bug and all bets are off.

We have to be clear eyed about the talent situation that Manny Diaz left us with on defense. Having said that, I think a strong fundamental defensive coach likes Steele is going to make a difference and that’s what gives me some hope. Adding experience like Strong just adds more juice to the mix. Those guys on defense are gonna need all the leadership they can get. Because the talent is not world class.

That's the point. We not only need good coaching, we need (more than) a little luck to win the Coastal. Other than TVD, we're no better than Pitt, North Carolina and Virginia. At least we haven't proven to be.

Our overall Blue Chip ratio suggests we're a talented and deep team. But anyone looking at the 2021 and past performances of the players knows we're not differentiated, our blue chippers have not performed at blue chip level by and large.

Which means multiple games are going to be toss ups ... again. And we're going to be anywhere from 7-5 to 9-3 ... again.

Unless we crush the portal AND/OR this new staff breathes life into Harvey, Blades, Frierson, Roberts, Chantz Williams, Sam Brooks, Scaife, Isaiah Walker, Chaney, Mallory et al, guys who we all believed would carry us on their backs into the ACCCG.

That's the point. We not only need good coaching, we need (more than) a little luck to win the Coastal. Other than TVD, we're no better than Pitt, North Carolina and Virginia. At least we haven't proven to be.

Our overall Blue Chip ratio suggests we're a talented and deep team. But anyone looking at the 2021 and past performances of the players knows we're not differentiated, our blue chippers have not performed at blue chip level by and large.

Which means multiple games are going to be toss ups ... again. And we're going to be anywhere from 7-5 to 9-3 ... again.

Unless we crush the portal AND/OR this new staff breathes life into Harvey, Blades, Frierson, Roberts, Chantz Williams, Sam Brooks, Scaife, Isaiah Walker, Chaney, Mallory et al, guys who we all believed would carry us on their backs into the ACCCG.
I am hoping that the new strength program will make our players stronger/ have more stamina and that Mirabal can improve offensive line play. If that happens I can see a 9 win season.

Advertisement
Are we talking 8 or 9 more portal additions or 8-9 counting what we already have? Would be surprised seeing 8-9 additional.

get this kid, dorlus, mikel jones, porter, and maybe another 1 or 2. realistically could use another corner lb de and thats just def additions!
^^^ This first part of this kid, dorlus, M.jones, porter... then give me a legit starting RT

Agree, I never understood the takes of 10 wins being the floor. A 9-3 year 1 for Mario Cristobal would be a great start to me. Really everything outside of Safety on defense is a question mark. Yes we got some DE recruit's coming but Moss and Kelly are going to need to time to develop.

Agreed. Just hoping 9 wins somehow wins the coastal. That unfortunately is still the goal. Win the coastal and get to the ACC championship game for publicity

Advertisement
Agreed. Just hoping 9 wins somehow wins the coastal. That unfortunately is still the goal. Win the coastal and get to the ACC championship game for publicity
Yeah I sure hope so, on offense it's possible we take a step back as well due to the new scheme change. I'm not sure if we're really going to turn into a run first power spread team but if so, we could see some bumps in Year 1 and 2 until Mario gets his guys on the OL. If we can 8-9 Wins in year 1 and then 9-10 in year 2, it would be an amazing start to the Mario Cristobal era. It's going to take time for Mario to build his culture

I couldn't find much, but would he really start over Njalik or Cyrus Moss? If anything, would be a great depth piece on passing downs.

Every year people are enamored about the incoming freshman and forget about who's already on the roster. There are players with experience others waiting to get on the field that were blue chips recruits.

Are you just projecting for 2022 or 2023? I don't see how you the Kelly or Moss have a chance to start next season. They will need to beat out the following players at their position to make the 2-deep rotation.

DT
Harrison-Hunte
Taylor
Miller
Roberts

DE
Williams
Harvey
Ishmael
Davis

Advertisement
Back