Miss this place.

Advertisement
Nothing like the old OB. I was at this crazy game and the video doesn’t justify how loud it got when Hester took it to the house.

I was at that game as well... Matter of fact, my first Hurricanes game ever. **** near same spot as the person recording.

Shalala baby!

Another "Fan" that doesn't know a thing. I want to hear how Dr. Shalala was responsible for the City of Miami ignoring a vote to renovate the OB, and going with a sketchy backroom deal, one that will ***** over Miami tax payers for DECADES. The City of Miami owned the OB, UMiami was not going to buy the facility, and the MOMENT the City decided they were going to give the land to the Marlins, it was a wrap. The program has done well since, they are now playing in a far better facility, a facility they will NEVER have to worry about renovations, because the Dolphins will never play in a dump. Don't let the fog of history distract you from noting what the historic OB had become by the end of its lifespan.

I was at the Louisville game OP discussed, it was my freshman year at The U. Fun night, especially once Devin hit that middle return.

Personal attacks
Shalala baby!

If you think it was Donna Shalala's fault there's no OB anymore, I have to assume you have the intelligence of a goldfish.

I was on the student committee evaluating stadium options. Here is a FACT for you. The city of Miami wanted the University of Miami to contribute $500 million to save the OB. At the time, the endowment for The U was roughly $700 million. It would have been an absolutely, beyond idiotic financial move, almost as dumb as this comment.

Maybe, just maybe, try educating yourself before having such an asinine opinion?

Advertisement
Another "Fan" that doesn't know a thing. I want to hear how Dr. Shalala was responsible for the City of Miami ignoring a vote to renovate the OB, and going with a sketchy backroom deal, one that will ***** over Miami tax payers for DECADES. The City of Miami owned the OB, UMiami was not going to buy the facility, and the MOMENT the City decided they were going to give the land to the Marlins, it was a wrap. The program has done well since, they are now playing in a far better facility, a facility they will NEVER have to worry about renovations, because the Dolphins will never play in a dump. Don't let the fog of history distract you from noting what the historic OB had become by the end of its lifespan.

I was at the Louisville game OP discussed, it was my freshman year at The U. Fun night, especially once Devin hit that middle return.

Our fanbase is a bunch of six year olds that want to eat a gallon of ice cream for dinner every day, then get mad at their parents when they have a stomach ache.

If you think it was Donna Shalala's fault there's no OB anymore, I have to assume you have the intelligence of a goldfish.

I was on the student committee evaluating stadium options. Here is a FACT for you. The city of Miami wanted the University of Miami to contribute $500 million to save the OB. At the time, the endowment for The U was roughly $700 million. It would have been an absolutely, beyond idiotic financial move, almost as dumb as this comment.

Maybe, just maybe, try educating yourself before having such an asinine opinion?
Post a link

I was in the west end zone when he ran that puppy back. Drinks were flying and I'm pretty sure small fragments of the upper deck fell down to the first level. It was absolute madness. I miss that **** stadium so much.

But for the record, Hester's run back versus UF was absolute bedlam. I've never seen a scene like that at any sporting event I've ever been to. When Gore capped off the comeback you could see UF fans running for the aisles and Cane fans just pummeling them with anything they could find. They deserved it to....for 2 quarters they were being about as obnoxious as any set of fans could be.

Advertisement
All Shalala had to do was pony up 25-30 mil to help with renovations. She refused. She could have partnered with FIU for the same amount. She refused. Now we sukk. Look it

Even if your story was true(Which it isn't) tell me where that 30 million dollars was coming from. Sure as **** wasn't coming from blowhards like yourself. I know it's shocking, you can't just pull funds from the endowment like you pull from your checking account.

The OB needed hundreds of millions of dollars in renovations, that number you quoted is a miniscule fraction of that. Why would they ask for such a small number? Oh that's right, because they never did.

‘83 TITLE GAME WAS MY FIRST AT A CANE GAME. I WENT TO PHINS GAME ALL THE TIME BEFORE THAT…MY DAD WAS A GENERAL CONTRACTOR IN SOUTH FLORIDA AND DROPPED 5 TICKETS TO THE WEST END ZONE DOWN ON THE DINNER TABLE THE NIGHT BEFORE…WELL, ALL I CAN SAY IS AN ALL OUT BRAWL BROKE OUT IN THE WEST END ZONE AND SOMEONE FIRED OFF A ROUND TO BREAK IT UP…AND IT DID…PEOPLE SCATTERED LIKE ROACHES….END RESULT, I FOUND MY NEW HOME AND HAVE BEEN GUT-HOOKED EVER SINCE….

Advertisement
A Saturday night prime time national televised, Jimmy Johnson famous pregame speech took 2.5 seconds as the roof above the locker room was shaking, stomping beyond explanation when as follows.

JJ walk in locker room became dead quite he flipped the ball to the team and said

“ DO WHAT YOU DO BEST” and walked out, the fuse was lit 🔥 for ignition for MAX Q afterburner.

OB never again will my eyes witness anything close to it , I was Blessed

GOCANES

The city had multiple chances to upgrade and repair the stadium over the years and decided to just let it fall apart. I’m pretty positive that it was nowhere near up to code by the time UM played it’s final games there. It would have ended up like that condo in Sunny Isles except a thousand times worse.

The city had multiple chances to upgrade and repair the stadium over the years and decided to just let it fall apart. I’m pretty positive that it was nowhere near up to code by the time UM played it’s final games there. It would have ended up like that condo in Sunny Isles except a thousand times worse.
Absolutely Shameful....UM had a 89% Winning percentage at the OB from 1980 till 2007....By far the Best home field advantage in all of CFB...

Advertisement
I’ve mentioned a couple of times on here that my father was the OB Stadium Manager from 1960 to 1979. Started as a janitor in 1955 and worked his way up. It was a constant battle with the city to get even the bare necessities.

When the Phins came to town in ‘66, they changed the dynamic of the budget quite a bit. However, Joe Robbie was in my fathers office at least twice a week bytching about one thing or another. My father would sit back in his chair and listen to his rants and when he was finished, utter the same response “You’re in the wrong office. Go see the City Manager”. Robbie would storm out of the office without even a 🖕.

They did build the new “upper press box” and renovated the locker rooms, but Robbie had to fork over about half the cost. Robbie finally got to his breaking point and told the city if you don’t do some major renovations, I’m going to build my own stadium. Thus Joe Robbie - now Hard Rock Stadium.

When the Phins left the OB, that obviously left a huge hole in the budget - one the U was not capable of filling. As heartbroken as my father and I were when the grand old lady was torn down, it was somewhat of a blessing as well. Brand new stadium with. NFL amenities funded privately without the politics of city ownership.

I’ve mentioned a couple of times on here that my father was the OB Stadium Manager from 1960 to 1979. Started as a janitor in 1955 and worked his way up. It was a constant battle with the city to get even the bare necessities.

When the Phins came to town in ‘66, they changed the dynamic of the budget quite a bit. However, Joe Robbie was in my fathers office at least twice a week bytching about one thing or another. My father would sit back in his chair and listen to his rants and when he was finished, utter the same response “You’re in the wrong office. Go see the City Manager”. Robbie would storm out of the office without even a 🖕.

They did build the new “upper press box” and renovated the locker rooms, but Robbie had to fork over about half the cost. Robbie finally got to his breaking point and told the city if you don’t do some major renovations, I’m going to build my own stadium. Thus Joe Robbie - now Hard Rock Stadium.

When the Phins left the OB, that obviously left a huge hole in the budget - one the U was not capable of filling. As heartbroken as my father and I were when the grand old lady was torn down, it was somewhat of a blessing as well. Brand new stadium with. NFL amenities funded privately without the politics of city ownership.
I also remember the county turned down approving a budget to improve the OB and of course Fins we’re gone so the commissioner’s couldn’t get there alleged kick backs to the level they were accustom to they would only allow painting .

Does any of you old folks remember concrete pieces falling I do and the dripping water pipes wondering if it was a urine pipe.

Now there’s BILLION dollar stadium waisted site for 1500 baseball fans .

Sad

GOCANES

What did CashMohnaay get banned for?

I also remember the county turned down approving a budget to improve the OB and of course Fins we’re gone so the commissioner’s couldn’t get there alleged kick backs to the level they were accustom to they would only allow painting .

Does any of you old folks remember concrete pieces falling I do and the dripping water pipes wondering if it was a urine pipe.

Now there’s BILLION dollar stadium waisted site for 1500 baseball fans .

Sad

GOCANES
Don’t even get me started on that waste of concrete that is the Marlins stadium. What an absolute joke

Advertisement
Back