Mirrored Concepts

Roman Marciante

Sophomore
Premium
It is time to break the glass. Miami is running a TON of mirrored concepts and it is limiting some of the potential of this offense in my opinion. (Especially on third downs) A mirrored concept is when you have two receivers on one side of the field running the exact same thing as the other side. I am going to parallel two clips in which I will show you two teams from 2x2 sets. Both will go up against a blitz.

In Miami's instance you will see that the mirrored concept Miami runs really wasn't designed to beat the blitz. The routes were running longer then the quarterback had time to throw. Kosi was flushed from the pocket and looked to run. Honestly that was his only option. (Great blitz design by Pitt-Got Miami to set protection one way and Pitt came from the other side)

Now you will note Georgia in a 2x2 set. (tight) Essentially this is a play designed to attack more of the field and has good field spread with a natural blitz beater. (The drag) The design to have the opposite slot run across the field allowed a third receiver to come into view of the quarterback. This played dividends. If you mirrored this concept and the slot ran an out on the opposite side, he never comes into view and this play probably goes for a sack. (UGA runs a switch)

From the Perch this year highlighted how Miami needs to get better vs the blitz. Ultimately you do that by allowing the quarterback to survey the field and identify the blitzer instead of mandating the quarterback just wait for the snap while the offensive line sets the protections. Then you need to have routes that come into the field of view of the quarterback that are "hot" vs the blitz. You cannot really do that with mirrored concepts.

Time to have a more mature system and have the quarterback/OC tandem get to the level in which I saw last night. UGA did not run a single mirrored concept vs Alabama last night (I am not completely anti mirrored routes btw) But the UGA offense showed multiple formations, spread concepts, motions and it was one of the more brilliant game plans I saw this year. Very impressed. Just figured I would share a random thought.

Advertisement
Clemson's offense is a good example of running Mirrored Concepts right

Clemson does run mirrored concepts.Typically I have seen them throttle down to those calls when they have been comfortably ahead. But Clemson is a better example of an RPO based run team that is very good at horizontal pressuring you. Nothing wrong with mirrored concepts at all. Just cant be so overly reliant on them. Especially on certain downs and distances.

Advertisement
It is time to break the glass. Miami is running a TON of mirrored concepts and it is limiting some of the potential of this offense in my opinion. (Especially on third downs) A mirrored concept is when you have two receivers on one side of the field running the exact same thing as the other side. I am going to parallel two clips in which I will show you two teams from 2x2 sets. Both will go up against a blitz.

In Miami's instance you will see that the mirrored concept Miami runs really wasn't designed to beat the blitz. The routes were running longer then the quarterback had time to throw. Kosi was flushed from the pocket and looked to run. Honestly that was his only option. (Great blitz design by Pitt-Got Miami to set protection one way and Pitt came from the other side)

Now you will note Georgia in a 2x2 set. (tight) Essentially this is a play designed to attack more of the field and has good field spread with a natural blitz beater. (The drag) The design to have the opposite slot run across the field allowed a third receiver to come into view of the quarterback. This played dividends. If you mirrored this concept and the slot ran an out on the opposite side, he never comes into view and this play probably goes for a sack. (UGA runs a switch)

From the Perch this year highlighted how Miami needs to get better vs the blitz. Ultimately you do that by allowing the quarterback to survey the field and identify the blitzer instead of mandating the quarterback just wait for the snap while the offensive line sets the protections. Then you need to have routes that come into the field of view of the quarterback that are "hot" vs the blitz. You cannot really do that with mirrored concepts.

Time to have a more mature system and have the quarterback/OC tandem get to the level in which I saw last night. UGA did not run a single mirrored concept vs Alabama last night (I am not completely anti mirrored routes btw) But the UGA offense showed multiple formations, spread concepts, motions and it was one of the more brilliant game plans I saw this year. Very impressed. Just figured I would share a random thought.

@Zbrod95 @Earnest T. Bass @KrazyCane @Calvin @SigmundFriend

Last edited:
Clemson does run mirrored concepts.Typically I have seen them throttle down to those calls when they have been comfortably ahead. But Clemson is a better example of an RPO based run team that is very good at horizontal pressuring you. Nothing wrong with mirrored concepts at all. Just cant be so overly reliant on them. Especially on certain downs and distances.

They also have a significantly better QB. I’m just going by what I feel watching Perry but mirrored concepts already have him looking at basically one side of the field. I saw some throws early in the year he made that gave me optimism about progressions etc

I don’t think he has a problem with progressions and locking on to receivers but when we see mirrored concepts I see him make that mistake.

I don’t know, maybe I’m talking out of my *** but it doesn’t seem to help him.

Your theory has merit, but. Do not make the mistake of comparing Georgia’s talented players to our lousy to mediocre players. Our lack of talent on offense yields the crappy results we have seen all year. A change of offensive philosophy will result in very little improvement in our productivity.

Advertisement
They also have a significantly better QB. I’m just going by what I feel watching Perry but mirrored concepts already have him looking at basically one side of the field. I saw some throws early in the year he made that gave me optimism about progressions etc

I don’t think he has a problem with progressions and locking on to receivers but when we see mirrored concepts I see him make that mistake.

I don’t know, maybe I’m talking out of my *** but it doesn’t seem to help him.

Fromm played really well. Perry has a better arm and more mobile. I just think where Fromm excelled was that he was very comfortable with his offense and he knew exactly where the right read was. It was impressive considering that UGA threw multiple different formations, concepts etc and Fromm was extremely decisive.

When you say pro offense. To me? That is what a pro offense looks like. Multiple looks, Multiple formations. I am a spread guy preferentially, but what UGA did last night was impressive.

I think the fact we are seeing so many mirrored concepts is the alarm. Either the QB isn't reading it all right, or the staff is calling it that way for the sake of calling it. And I absolutely agree that these mirrored concepts are forcing him essentially to read one half of the field.

Last edited:
Your theory has merit, but. Do not make the mistake of comparing Georgia’s talented players to our lousy to mediocre players. Our lack of talent on offense yields the crappy results we have seen all year. A change of offensive philosophy will result in very little improvement in our productivity.

I knew this was coming. That is why I was strategic in posting a clip of both offensive lines being beaten by the blitz.

UGA has a better offensive line. I won't deny that. I could start a thread how they created mismatch in the run game using DUO blocks and spread concepts.
UGA has a very good smart QB.

But I wasn't blown away by UGA's wide receiver talent and I think our running backs are very comparable to theirs this year. (not last year) Also I think Brevin is a stud and bows down to no tight end. I really won't argue and say we have better talent than UGA although in certain areas I think we do.
But I asked an ESPN analyst specifically this question and he replied "Oh no, Miami definitely has the talent." (Sorry for the big league moment there :)

I think we can recruit better along the offensive line. I think we can get more out of our quarterbacks. I think our offensive system needs a complete overhaul. I am a mixture of everything.

Advertisement
like ****ing on a wasp nest LOL

Yeah. That happened during the FTP sight last week. I will admit. I kind of live in my CanesinSight film review thread bubble so when he posted more to the party I got excited. I got acclimated real quick to his intentions. Hey the good thing about these boards, people can disagree.

Advertisement
Every team mentioned have real offensive lines and running attacks that take over games against good opponents.

You can scheme your **** off and a poor offensive line will make the best offensive coordinator appear to be inept.

Mark Richt didn't suddenly become a bad offensive mind and coach as the Herd claims. He has been dogged over the last two years by an offensive line that wouldn't see even one player being good enough to qualify as a back-up for Alabama, Clemson, Georgia and a gaggle of other top 10 teams.

Fix the offensive line and just like how the Herd now worships Diaz, they will be claiming that all along they were telling everyone that Richt is an offensive genius, and start attacking Blake James for not giving him a longer contract extension.

Yup. Now you put the bulls eye right on me. LOL. My friend, when you played qb a little bit, and you do a film review all year long, you start to pick up where the blitz is coming from. You Sir, are showing blitz.
Lol, sorry friend. Obviously your QB experience and extensive film review FAR exceeds our QB corch. Damnit mane, no offense. I really appreciate your insight and breakdowns but the "everything is peachy mob" will make every excuse imaginable to justify it.

Every team mentioned have real offensive lines and running attacks that take over games against good opponents.

You can scheme your **** off and a poor offensive line will make the best offensive coordinator appear to be inept.

Mark Richt didn't suddenly become a bad offensive mind and coach as the Herd claims. He has been dogged over the last two years by an offensive line that wouldn't see even one player being good enough to qualify as a back-up for Alabama, Clemson, Georgia and a gaggle of other top 10 teams.

Fix the offensive line and just like how the Herd now worships Diaz, they will be claiming that all along they were telling everyone that Richt is an offensive genius, and start attacking Blake James for not giving him a longer contract extension.
LOL and there it is! Every Saturday we see teams with far less talent on the OL scheme and develop QBs at a highly successful level. I'm ready for the next excuse....

I think part of these huge Canes internal debates is when someone takes a hard line stance on one side of the street instead of seeing it in the middle. I see it this way.

Offensive line recruiting must definitely improve. We do not have the offensive line that Alabama or UGA has. But that didn't stop either of those two from being beaten a time or two.

But things like having an over reliance of Mirrored concepts, having the qb not set the protections and identify the blitz are coaching prerogatives.
So when you say they don't have the offensive line. I agree. But I don't think you can disagree that those coaching tactics are irrelevant to the offensive line you have.

Advertisement
Back