Miles Wilson

Picked to finish 10th in the ACC. Last time I think we were picked that low, we finished 7th and got into the NCAAT. At least, that's what I'm recalling. Could be wrong. As others have said, Coach L seems to always do better with less expectations.

Advertisement
I may be a little bit obsessed...but I check the Team Rankings page every day (one of the more accurate sites IMO) and they are giving this team a 66-69% chance of making the Tourney with the most likely seeds being a #2 or 3.

This team could very well get off to another start like last year...11/12-0. Rutgers is most likely the toughest opponent before league play starts. Win the games that they should win and everything will be fine.

Picked to finish 10th in the ACC. Last time I think we were picked that low, we finished 7th and got into the NCAAT. At least, that's what I'm recalling. Could be wrong. As others have said, Coach L seems to always do better with less expectations.
Hope your site is spot on. That being said, there are 7 ACC teams (not UM) ranked Top 25 pre-season, then comes "close to be ranked" Louisville and Notre Dame. Being 10th ACC sorta seems realistic and would seem like a 5-6 seed. . We have some limitations, but if Coach L can work some of his fine magic, we can be a bit better than that.

Strong ACC expected, what a surprise.

10th in the ACC is likely a "bubble watch" team at best. Most publications have us as an NIT team. We better make a boatload of threes every game or this could be a tough year.

10th in the ACC is likely a "bubble watch" team at best. Most publications have us as an NIT team. We better make a boatload of threes every game or this could be a tough year.

We're making the tournament. It's just a matter of what seed.

Advertisement
This team is talented enough to finish in the top half of the ACC. In fact, I enjoy these types of seasons more because there isn't pressure to be a juggernaut, unlike last year and this year in football.

Advertisement
Will be interesting how the Losses from top ACC teams knocking off other ACC teams in conference play late season will affect the rankings. I'm assuming if you are in AP Top 25 you are considered way above the bubble...

...right now AP ranks the 7th "best" ACC team in Top 25, and 2 others near misses. If that pans out all season long, seems 7-8th in ACC should be well-enough if the non-conference wins are there at the start.

It is wayyyyy too early to know how good this team is. Wouldnt shock me if we made the NCAA tourney but wouldnt surprise me either if we ended up in the NIT.

Will be interesting how the Losses from top ACC teams knocking off other ACC teams in conference play late season will affect the rankings. I'm assuming if you are in AP Top 25 you are considered way above the bubble...

...right now AP ranks the 7th "best" ACC team in Top 25, and 2 others near misses. If that pans out all season long, seems 7-8th in ACC should be well-enough if the non-conference wins are there at the start.

If my memory serves me correctly...didn't SMU miss the Tourney a few years ago and they were in the top 25? The committee can be filthy if they have an ax to grind.

If my memory serves me correctly...didn't SMU miss the Tourney a few years ago and they were in the top 25? The committee can be filthy if they have an ax to grind.
I think you mean 2014-15 when they were decent, but ineligible. Top 25 is pretty decent in a field of 64, if not barred by sanctions.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Just found this in USA Today achives...3/16/14

"The NCAA Tournament bracket is set, and there’s one snub that stands out above the rest. The Southern Methodist Mustangs, ranked 23rd in the nation in the USA TODAY coaches poll and 25th in the AP poll last week (in this week’s poll, they unsurprisingly dropped out), was one of the first four out of the field of 68. Larry Brown’s Mustangs will have to settle for the NIT."

Just found this in USA Today achives...3/16/14

"The NCAA Tournament bracket is set, and there’s one snub that stands out above the rest. The Southern Methodist Mustangs, ranked 23rd in the nation in the USA TODAY coaches poll and 25th in the AP poll last week (in this week’s poll, they unsurprisingly dropped out), was one of the first four out of the field of 68. Larry Brown’s Mustangs will have to settle for the NIT."
Wow, 27-10 that year. Checked a few polls, and there have been 12-loss and 13-loss team records ranked Top25 recently. Good spot!

Advertisement
Back