Miles Wilson

Obviously we will need to see how much Izundu has developed and whether he can control the fouling but I would like to see more of the following:

PG: Lykes
SG: Johnson
SF: Amp
PF: Huell
C: Izundu

Exactly my thoughts.

DJ is way better coming off the bench. Mack has the height, hopefully his D is sound.

Gak needs to be ready; Miller is definitely not an option.

Advertisement
No chance Johnson is coming off the bench. And Waardenburg is definitely not a 3.
Are you saying you think Sam is a stretch 4? To me, he can't defend that position; so, like it or not, he's gotta play the 3. I base this on the Waardenburg we saw last season; if his body or physical play has significantly changed, that may cast a new light on things.

Exactly my thoughts.

DJ is way better coming off the bench. Mack has the height, hopefully his D is sound.

Gak needs to be ready; Miller is definitely not an option.

I'd like to see Waardenburg come off the bench first at the 4/5.

Are you saying you think Sam is a stretch 4? To me, he can't defend that position; so, like it or not, he's gotta play the 3. I base this on the Waardenburg we saw last season; if his body or physical play has significantly changed, that may cast a new light on things.

He's 100% a stretch 4. You really think he can guard a wing?

Advertisement
The team is still 10 deep. Granted unproven but potentially 10 deep. My projected starters are Chris Lyes and DJ Vasiljevic in the backcourt with Anthony Lawrence, Dewan Huell and Ebuka Izundu in the front court. The reserves are Zach Johnson and Anthony Mack in the backcourt with Sam Wardenburg, Deng Gak and Rodney Miller in the frontcourt.

That starting lineup doesn't scare anyone in the ACC. Looking like a down year for our ball club. Hopefully we hit some homers in recruiting via transfers again or HS kids.

Advertisement
I've always thought Zach Johnson is the key for us this season. We need him to continue being the scoring threat/shooter he was at FGCU. Did I read in a recent Barry Jackson column that he has some sort of knee issue? Or was I dreaming?

With Chris Lyes and DJ Vasiljevic in the backcourt with Anthony Lawrence, Dewan Huell and Ebuka Izundu in the front court, that group will play more inside out, high low basketball. Once Huell (Now Hernandez) and Izundu establish themselves as low post scorers, the perimeter guys will get plenty of wide open three point shots with the proper ball movement. Remember Huell and Izundu dominated Notre Dame last year when they played together extended minutes.
I am sure they will still use the ball screen offense with the smaller lineups like Lykes and Johnson in the back court with Mack, Lawrence or Wardenburg and Hernandez or Gak on the court.
The roster is very flexible.

Always interesting to see if this version of the Canes can, and will, run. Regardless of who our coach has been since 1985, 95% (or more) of our teams have slowed it down and were content to play offense in a half-court set. Back in the 60s, it was a Paul Westhead type flow with the Canes often scoring well over 100 points a game (and this was with no 3 point shot in existence).

No way. Great lineup.

You really think so? Honestly, where is the offensive production going to come from? Lykes should definitely see an increase in his shots and scoring average, but outside of him, AMP is what he is and can't be counted on to be a consistent scorer. Vasi the Aussie is a streaky outside scorer. We don't have a dominant big man at the 4 or 5 unless Hernandez (WTF?) makes a huge leap in his game. What am I missing here? Please enlighten me.

Advertisement
You really think so? Honestly, where is the offensive production going to come from? Lykes should definitely see an increase in his shots and scoring average, but outside of him, AMP is what he is and can't be counted on to be a consistent scorer. Vasi the Aussie is a streaky outside scorer. We don't have a dominant big man at the 4 or 5 unless Hernandez (WTF?) makes a huge leap in his game. What am I missing here? Please enlighten me.

Johnson & Huell are great players. I think we’re gonna have a nice season. Very unselfish team.

Do you know we got Zach Johnson?

Advertisement
didn't realize actually...he's pretty good then?

Yup. Here is what he did last year...

Named to All-ASUN First Team, District 3 Second Team and ASUN All-Tournament Team … earned ASUN Player of the Week honors on Jan. 29 … became just ninth member of FGCU’s 1,000-point club on Dec. 31 and third to do so as junior … finished fourth on program’s all-time scoring list with 1,344 … tied program’s single-game scoring record with 37 points in ASUN Tournament Final against Lipscomb (most ever versus a D-I opponent), including nine 3-pointers – the most in D-I program history … ranked sixth in ASUN in scoring, 11th in assists and first in total steals (70) … the 70 steals were tied for 17th-most in the nation and fifth-most in single-season program history … in ASUN contests, he ranked first in steals (2.1), eighth in scoring (16.9), ninth in field-goal percentage (.522) and 10th in assists (3.1) … his 564 points were sixth-most in single-season program history … led FGCU with 69 3-pointers … in four postseason games (three ASUN Tournament, one NIT), he averaged 25.8 points … led FGCU in scoring 12 times and had at least 14 points in all but one conference game … opened season with a then-career-high 27 points against Illinois State (Nov. 11) … career-high seven rebounds versus North Florida (Jan. 29) … only player on the roster to start all 35 games.

I have no clue how well this team will do this year. On paper, it is Coach L's least talented team except for the 13/14 team which might have been his best coaching job as we finished over .500.

Advertisement
Back