Mike Ryan/AD Update - 12/2

Advertisement
Miami had time to get things going in the background before firing Blake James. A search firm will surely already have loads of informations on candidates.

This is taking long because of Miami.

Also, the search firm was not hired immediately (or even in advance).

Advertisement
Can you paraphrase? This looks like it is behind a paywall.
maxresdefault.jpg

Synopsis from MK and SMD.

Paraphrase: "It's complicated." (that is a direct quote, don't sue me)

Again, I think this is fair use, it's only one sentence:

"There are some on the Board of Trustees who feel the more pressing concern is not replacing Diaz with a bigger-money coach, but rather hiring a business-savvy athletic director and allocating more resources to upgrading and modernizing the athletic department in the age of Name, Image, Likeness and the exploding transfer portal."

So Team Epstein Leakers are saying, let's pour 20-30 million into an Athletic Department, and then hand the keys of the Ferrari to Manny for another year.

Sure. Makes sense. Again, I pointed out the obvious logical flaw in that the complaint is about a "bigger-money coach", and not a "more-successful coach".

Advertisement
Paraphrase: "It's complicated." (that is a direct quote, don't sue me)

Again, I think this is fair use, it's only one sentence:

"There are some on the Board of Trustees who feel the more pressing concern is not replacing Diaz with a bigger-money coach, but rather hiring a business-savvy athletic director and allocating more resources to upgrading and modernizing the athletic department in the age of Name, Image, Likeness and the exploding transfer portal."

So Team Epstein Leakers are saying, let's pour 20-30 million into an Athletic Department, and then hand the keys of the Ferrari to Manny for another year.

Sure. Makes sense. Again, I pointed out the obvious logical flaw in that the complaint is about a "bigger-money coach", and not a "more-successful coach".
No Idea why anyone would think the two things would need to be mutually exclusive.

Yep. And Rudy was on Team Epstein three years ago. He's definitely the "political" one in the Echevarria-Fernandez pair.
I read somewhere that Fernandez is the political guy while Echevarria is the business guy. Anyway, did Fernandez ever publicly say he was backing Nuñez or is Navarro the person saying this? I suspect the latter, which would mean it's simply a horse**** claim.

Now let me paraphrase a paragraph.

Recruiting (an AD and a coach) is fluid. Initial thoughts were "AD first, then coach". New push (from "some") is hire a coach before all the coaches are hired and because of 12/15 Signing Day.

Advertisement
I read somewhere that Fernandez is the political guy while Echevarria is the business guy. Anyway, did Fernandez ever publicly say he was backing Nuñez or did that simply come from Navarro? I suspect the latter, which would mean it's simply a horse**** claim.

Navarro. To Rudy's credit, I don't think there is a single direct public quote from Rudy anywhere.

I think this is OK, since it's a direct public quote from Nunez:

“Miami is a wonderful institution and those opportunities that may potentially come in the future, if they do, wonderful,” he said. “But this is where I am. I am committed to the job at hand. I really appreciate them expressing interest.”

Yeah, but here's a trick for the future. If you use google chrome, copy the link, and then paste the link in an incognito browser, it usually circumvents the paywall.

Some of the BOT think securing an AD is the preeminent concern given the new name/image/likeness rules. These members think there's lots of untapped $$$ to be made from a savvy, business-minded AD. They also think perfecting a name/image/likeness pitch is key to winning over recruits.

Sticking on the AD search, different camps have formed around different candidates. Some of the BOT want a Miami guy like Torreta or Highsmith. Another part of the BOT thinks we need a more business-minded, experienced AD to lead us through this new age of CFB.

Other BOT think that the coaching decision is more important and have no problem making a coaching decision before hiring an AD. They think winning will net the university the most money over the long-term, as it will bring in better recruits, more boosters, and more fans.

Some positive news: nowhere in the article did it say Manny may be retained. It just seemed to be a debate about timing. AD first and then coach or coach first and then AD?

Last edited:
Advertisement
The timeline for athletic director is completely unacceptable if that's true. Mario is not going to come here without knowing who his boss will be. I was hoping for something by today or tomorrow. They need to pull the trigger already. I like Rudy Fernandez but if he was pushing Nunez then he lost credibility in my eyes. Thank God for turnkey overruling that. Turnkey is an excellent group actually. They concealed Lincoln Riley to USC perfectly. USC used them to land their whale. Let's hope the magic is here for us as well.
What if they want input from Mario about an AD and program structure?

How bout we hire a big time coach and pour more money into athletics????
I wonder if we don't have the money/resources to do both. The Herald update made it seem like there's a tension between the two. Hopefully it's just a timing debate and we'll actually do both.

Yeah, but here's a trick for the future. If you use google chrome, copy the link, and then paste the link in an incognito browser. It usually circumvents the paywall.

Some of the BOT think securing an AD is the preeminent concern given the new name/image/likeness rules. These members think there's lots of untapped $$$ to be made from a savvy, business-minded AD. They also think perfecting a name/image/likeness pitch is key to winning over recruits.

Stick on the AD search, different camps have formed around different candidates. Some of the BOT want a Miami guy like Torreta or Highsmith. Another part of the BOT thinks we need a more business-minded, experienced AD to lead us through this new age of CFB.

Other BOT think that the coaching decision is more important and have no problem making a coaching decision before hiring an AD. They think winning will net the university the most money over the long-term, as it will bring in better recruits, more boosters, and more fans.

Some positive news: nowhere in the article did it say Manny may be retained. It just seemed to be a debate about timing. AD first and then coach or coach first and then AD?
So if they want business minded that would be Gino since he's already run multiple. Just hire Gino, make ZO the man in charge of the football program, and hire Mario already. Do it now so we can try and sign some dudes during the early signing period.

Advertisement
Back