Mike Norvell @ FSU

Norvell will only be as good as what he acquires from the portal.

**** Memphis Mike, but we have the same problem that our coach is only going to be as good as…. (with an ultra stacked roster)

Meanwhile Norvell is doing just fine raiding the portal and sitting solidly in the top 5…

Seems to be improving his HS work too..

Stunning what wins can do…

Advertisement
Basically ALL their impact players.. Missing a ton more, Jordan travis, Trey benson, Johnny Wilson, Jaheim Bell, Fiske, Lovett, Tatum, Cypress, etc. Like 90% of their offense is transfers.. We plan on building thru recruiting, which after you get them you need to give them a couple years of seasoning so I dont think its gonna be comparable..
This is the exact point. That list is all skill players and a DT. Interior OL is not where you flex in the portal lmao. We have 2 freshmen logging PT. Not a lot of impact right away.

Basically ALL their impact players.. Missing a ton more, Jordan travis, Trey benson, Johnny Wilson, Jaheim Bell, Fiske, Lovett, Tatum, Cypress, etc. Like 90% of their offense is transfers.. We plan on building thru recruiting, which after you get them you need to give them a couple years of seasoning so I dont think its gonna be comparable..

Seasoning… like the big name HS TE that Mario snatched from Bama… is he in the crockpot, basting, getting a strong roux forming???

Mario’s secret recipe for year 5?

norvell runs that offense and turned jordan freaking travis into a great college QB. that's the primary reason why he turned FSU around. if mario somehow turns this program around it's gonna be for different reasons than norvell

tl;dr corrleation not causation bro

This is true and prison Mike had some really embarrassing loses in year two....but also it doesn't mean Mario will have the same turn around.
alos prison mike has developed travis into a good QB. Mario isnt developing the QB. travis development has been huge in their turnaround under norvell.

Advertisement
This is the exact point. That list is all skill players and a DT. Interior OL is not where you flex in the portal lmao. We have 2 freshmen logging PT. Not a lot of impact right away.
Mario has openly said he is not a portal guy and he wants to build with/thru recruiting, then remember when he was hired he didnt hire a staff and went on road by himself so we missed that first wave of portal guys (where Norvell was able to snatch guys like Johnny Wilson).. Plus unfortunately Norvell has offensive pedigree where he can show guys he will use them, we need more explosive guys, been saying it for awhile, we need more explosive speeeeeeeeed, I think miami fans see the value now with dolphins juxtaposed every weekend.. Hopefully it filters down but I get my fix so I wont emphasize as much anymore.. We got 10.2 on bench tho..

Advertisement
The hope would be that the Dawson develops a good QB...but I get your point.
I think the issue is if you find a coordinator that can some how turn miami around on offense or defense they are getting a HC job. Then we are back at ground zero hoping we hire the right coordinator. Similarly to Clemson. Seems like most top HC In the last 10 or so years know offense or defense.

Last edited:
Mario has openly said he is not a portal guy and he wants to build with/thru recruiting, then remember when he was hired he didnt hire a staff and went on road by himself so we missed that first wave of portal guys (where Norvell was able to snatch guys like Johnny Wilson).. Plus unfortunately Norvell has offensive pedigree where he can show guys he will use them, we need more explosive guys, been saying it for awhile, we need more explosive speeeeeeeeed, I think miami fans see the value now with dolphins juxtaposed every weekend.. Hopefully it filters down but I get my fix so I wont emphasize as much anymore.. We got 10.2 on bench tho..
He is a portal guy though. He's just not good at it. If he is putting all eggs in the recruiting basket, those young guys need to be learning on the job.

One Coach is an Offensive Guru who can make average QB’s look way better than they really are.

The other is a Super recruiter who can develop OL’s.

The difference is, one guy doesn’t have to depend on someone else to get the most important side of the ball situated, while the other will live & die with who he hires as his coordinators.

It’s not really comparative situations looking at it objectively.

But even if you wanna use the “it takes time” excuse, how much time exactly? When can we expect a winning season from Mario? I asked the same thing last year & was mostly met with vague ambiguous answers.

So when it is? Year 4, 5, 6, 7? When do the excuses stop? When does a supposed Elite Coach show that he’s Elite?

Advertisement
THOUGHT U COULDNT BUILD A ROSTER THROUGH THE PORTAL?.
You can but high school kids won't want to play for you. 👀
Season 7 Oops GIF by Workaholics

He is a portal guy though. He's just not good at it. If he is putting all eggs in the recruiting basket, those young guys need to be learning on the job.
Oh he does both, he isnt Dabo about portal, but he has said himself he wants to develop guys but will go grab in portal.. He needs to hit on some big time players and develop the offense that features more than #7 and his 17 targets with season on line..

Advertisement
Stop comparing coaches who know X’s and O’s whether it’s offense or defense, to Mario. He doesn’t know any of that. His success is directly tied into who he hires to do those things.

Norvell just needed time to develop his QB.

This is why he was like 3rd or 4th for me anytime we had a coaching search.

The worst part is he doesnt have to worry about alot of stuff ...yetttt still cant do simple in game stuff. (kneeling, timeouts)

Folks rave about oh Mario doesnt sleep recruiting..he i shere there going to this school, texting this recruit etc....well...Thats all he is good at lol

Oh he does both, he isnt Dabo about portal, but he has said himself he wants to develop guys but will go grab in portal.. He needs to hit on some big time players and develop the offense that features more than #7 and his 17 targets with season on line..
Just wish he was bringing in Day 1 and Day 2 guys vs UDFA.

This is why he was like 3rd or 4th for me anytime we had a coaching search.

The worst part is he doesnt have to worry about alot of stuff ...yetttt still cant do simple in game stuff. (kneeling, timeouts)

Folks rave about oh Mario doesnt sleep recruiting..he i shere there going to this school, texting this recruit etc....well...Thats all he is good at lol
I wasn’t joking last year when I said he should be in the recruiting section during the games.

One Coach is an Offensive Guru who can make average QB’s look way better than they really are.

The other is a Super recruiter who can develop OL’s.

The difference is, one guy doesn’t have to depend on someone else to get the most important side of the ball situated, while the other will live & die with who he hires as his coordinators.

It’s not really comparative situations looking at it objectively.

But even if you wanna use the “it takes time” excuse, how much time exactly? When can we expect a winning season from Mario? I asked the same thing last year & was mostly met with vague ambiguous answers.

So when it is? Year 4, 5, 6, 7? When do the excuses stop? When does a supposed Elite Coach show that he’s Elite?

Cristobal could have made elite coaching hires, but he's not good at that either. Dawson is here because Jason Candle turned down the job. Dan Mullen would have been a walk off grand slam
OC hire (even if just for a couple years to get as much out of the the roster as possible) , but there is zero chance Cristobal would be interested in his style of offense. Would he have turned it down? Maybe, but Cristobal should have refused to take no for an answer, even if he had to give up part of his own inflated salary to make it difficult for Mullen to say no.

Advertisement
Back