Coaching Michigan hires first-ever Power Five female assistant

Man, some of you are some crazy mofos.

If Mario had hired a woman that played basketball to help coach our QB’s, most of this board would have come after him with pitchforks and torches, and rightfully so.

This “woke” culture bullshyt is out of control. She has zero experience coaching QB’s, and doesn’t even come from a football background.

If you’re gonna hire a female, at least hire one that has played the game, and has a good understanding of how to make the players better.

We don't know her skill set or what she brings to the table. So none of us can make a judgement on whether or not she can contribute.

I'm sure we can all agree that there are many attributes that can improve an athletes on the field performance that also require no football experience...i.e. strength, speed, flexibility, footwork, psychology etc etc. So having football experience or a football background is pure BS as a requirement to contribute to a team.

I doubt anyone here would be complaining if any other team brought in a GA with no football experience ....because it happens a LOT with GA's all over CFB at any school!! This is an complete non issue. Stop trying to make it into something that it's not

Michigan can hire whoever they wish to assist their football program. There are no rigid rules out there for hiring GA's. Check around different programs and you'll see it for yourself.

Is it news? YES. Does it matter? NAH!!

I'm also sure that this is great publicity for Michigan, which is more than other GA's out there can ever hope to provide.

I've never known annually who Miami's GA's are...couldn't care less......I seriously doubt many here keep up with that.....there is absolutely no reason why suddenly now it would matter to me or should to anyone else who our GA's are.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I totally get your point, but we will never achieve true equality when everyone treats everything as special.
She is the first. By definition, her hiring is special. Honestly, it is a feel good story to get some clicks. The odds of her progressing in coaching are still unbelievably low.

When a former star player is hired as a GA it is reported, yet most other GA hires are not reported. I don't see the big difference here. It is a unique hire. The more often a woman is hired as a GA, the less often it will be treated as special.

Man, some of you are some crazy mofos.

If Mario had hired a woman that played basketball to help coach our QB’s, most of this board would have come after him with pitchforks and torches, and rightfully so.

This “woke” culture bullshyt is out of control. She has zero experience coaching QB’s, and doesn’t even come from a football background.

If you’re gonna hire a female, at least hire one that has played the game, and has a good understanding of how to make the players better.

This man is right. I would hate this hire, and not because it's a woman. She has no experience. It's weird.

Advertisement
Personal attacks
CIS is the perfect internet laboratory for toxicity.

Half of you are saying ignore diversity in hiring while the other half of you are joking about sandwiches and blow jobs.

If you don't see why this matters then just look around.
I’m looking around and see a bunch of normal dudes having fun on a sports forum and I see one woke soy boy white knighting as a male feminist. You must be a blast to hang out with.

I’m looking around and see a bunch of normal dudes having fun on a sports forum and I see one woke soy boy white knighting as a male feminist. You must be a blast to hang out with.
I don't like soy and I am a blast to hang out with. Women especially think so because I am not a condescending ******* to them.

Advertisement
We don't know her skill set or what she brings to the table. So none of us can make a judgement on whether or not she can contribute.

I'm sure we can all agree that there are many attributes that can improve an athletes on the field performance that also require no football experience...i.e. strength, speed, flexibility, footwork, psychology etc etc. So having football experience or a football background is pure BS as a requirement to contribute to a team.

I doubt anyone here would be complaining if any other team brought in a GA with no football experience ....because it happens a LOT with GA's all over CFB at any school!! This is an complete non issue. Stop trying to make it into something that it's not

Michigan can hire whoever they wish to assist their football program. There are no rigid rules out there for hiring GA's. Check around different programs and you'll see it for yourself.

Is it news? YES. Does it matter? NAH!!

I'm also sure that this is great publicity for Michigan, which is more than other GA's out there can ever hope to provide.

I've never known annually who Miami's GA's are...couldn't care less......I seriously doubt many here keep up with that.....there is absolutely no reason why suddenly now it would matter to me or should to anyone else.
The people saying that she has no experience in football are missing a fairly large point. How exactly would she have done that? There is no appreciable system of youth, HS and college football programs for her to have participated. There have been a few outliers over the years but the only opportunities for her to play competitively would have been to play on the boys team against enormous obstacles.

She could live and breath football but simply never had the ability to engage in that sport at a high level. Perhaps basketball was her fallback position that actually did offer her a pathway to a college education.

The point being is that if you put "must have played the game" in the job description, it will automatically exclude individuals that never had the opportunity to play the game.

Indeed, the only major venue where women have been allowed to participate in football is the Lingerie Football League. That is a pretty damning indication of where women stand in the football hierarchy.

The young lady deserves an opportunity to see if she has any aptitude for the sport in what is otherwise a very low level position that is not newsworthy.

Yes, women love guys they meet at a Hillary rally because they don't have to worry about getting hit on from a dude with no sack.
And there it is. "respect for women" = "lack of manliness" in your mind.

A real man doesn't feel the need to disrespect other people to make themselves feel better.

You can keep trying to insult me if you want but you are saying a lot more about yourself than you are about me. You may want to check the reactions to my original comment which are running about 9:1 against you. If your viewpoint is getting pounded like that on a sports forum you might want to check yourself about your attitudes.

The people saying that she has no experience in football are missing a fairly large point. How exactly would she have done that? There is no appreciable system of youth, HS and college football programs for her to have participated. There have been a few outliers over the years but the only opportunities for her to play competitively would have been to play on the boys team against enormous obstacles.

She could live and breath football but simply never had the ability to engage in that sport at a high level. Perhaps basketball was her fallback position that actually did offer her a pathway to a college education.

The point being is that if you put "must have played the game" in the job description, it will automatically exclude individuals that never had the opportunity to play the game.

Indeed, the only major venue where women have been allowed to participate in football is the Lingerie Football League. That is a pretty damning indication of where women stand in the football hierarchy.

The young lady deserves an opportunity to see if she has any aptitude for the sport in what is otherwise a very low level position that is not newsworthy.
High schools are usually in need of people that want to learn and are willing to coach JV. That's a common starting point for someone with high school playing experience or lower. She is going to be learning a lot about football, many things the players she is coaching learned in middle school, high school, and their time in college. A GA is supposed to know more than their players. It's also a career step above the analyst positions. An analyst position would be a more suitable position. The GAs are expected to coach during practice and run the scout teams, which is tougher than most realize. Harbaugh must have confidence in JJ McCarthy.

Advertisement

I think most people's point here is that she is starting on 3rd base by getting a college coaching position without starting in atleast a HS program (has anyone even confirmed this? lol).

There are women coaching HS ball right now and are certainly deserved of opportunities. She just happens to have a really good starting place and hope she kills it.

Wow!!

Suddenly the previously minor and completely insignificant job of being a GA on a football team now requires having encyclopedic football knowledge.

It NEVER has before ....and it still doesn't now.

Calm down people. It's only a GA position for Chrissakes

Advertisement
You know what they don't ever call the bottom graduate of medical school?

Surgeon (or any other sub-specialty).

You know what they do call them?

Family (general) practice.
What I was getting at is that you're helping perpetuate a stigma that's been attached to minorities for decades that enter traditionally white fields. ****, even the president of the united states caught some of that and he graduated from an ivy league like many of his colleagues, or was he there based on diversity and inclusivity acceptance policies as well? I'm sure he caught that at the time and it's an attitude that persists to this day.

So to imply that there’s going to be a drop-off in quality in an area because of increased diversity hiring practices is something that affects every hardworking minority in the given field, and any potential demographic shift in that field has already been loaded as a negative and throwing all these peoples hard work into question. All this because someone was hired as a GA in a field that is not known at all for being meritocratic as @AlphaMarshan pointed out.

I'm not trying to come at you sideways but the least I can do is offer a different perspective because it's something that you or anyone else might not have to deal with personally outside of hypotheticals of little Johhny on the operating room table.

It's only worth celebrating if she's indeed qualified for the job.
Hiring unqualified people just for the sake of "diversity" is not something to celebrate. That's called a "handout".

I'd be curious to know many men can obtain GA jobs without playing a lick of football in their life.
Has a (male) college basketball player ever been hired as a football GA?

My thoughts exactly. I doubt the point guard for the mens basketball would be taken seriously for the role, even if he “really wanted to learn football.” That said, I know nothing about her knowledge of football or lack thereof, and I wish her nothing but success.

What I was getting at is that you're helping perpetuate a stigma that's been attached to minorities for decades that enter traditionally white fields. ****, even the president of the united states caught some of that and he graduated from an ivy league like many of his colleagues, or was he there based on diversity and inclusivity acceptance policies as well? I'm sure he caught that at the time and it's an attitude that persists to this day.

So to imply that there’s going to be a drop-off in quality in an area because of increased diversity hiring practices is something that affects every hardworking minority in the given field, and any potential demographic shift in that field has already been loaded as a negative and throwing all these peoples hard work into question. All this because someone was hired as a GA in a field that is not known at all for being meritocratic as @AlphaMarshan pointed out.

I'm not trying to come at you sideways but the least I can do is offer a different perspective because it's something that you or anyone else might not have to deal with personally outside of hypotheticals of little Johhny on the operating room table.
Very strong and fair points...

But, unfortunately, the applications diversity and inclusion hires do degrade the overall performance selection. We just cant seem to get it right.

I'm a huge fan of take off names and pictures...review the resume, the body of work...

let the best fit overall move forward...

doesn't make me right of course...just my view...

Advertisement
Back