Coaching Michigan hires first-ever Power Five female assistant

I think there's a misunderstanding here about GA positions. GA positions are basically stepping stones for people to enter into the coaching field. They are largely unpaid, or there is a "stipend" which is very small. Like, not enough to pay your bills small.

Part of being a GA is that you are actually enrolled in the university with your tuition waived while you pursue a graduate degree. This is how the university gets around actually paying you. You can actually read through the NCAA Graduate Assistant Openings on the NCAA Job Market if you don't believe me.

"Who the **** would want to spend 1-2 years working full time while ALSO going to school full time and not even being paid?" Apparently lots of people because they know the connections they'll make are worth it, in addition to being able to put "Graduate Assistant, QBs - University of Michigan" on your resume. That's what gets you your next GA role, or your first position coaching gig as you try and move up the ladder.

"Who can afford to work full time as a GA but not be paid, or not be paid well enough to afford housing?" I was offered a position like this at the University of Arizona (shocker, I knew the Director of S&C) and I asked the same question. How do I work full time but make $10,000/year?

I never got a straight answer beyond, "Have you tried not being poor?" This is another way that GAs and the "good ol' boy network" systemically reduces opportunities for lower-class individuals: these jobs not only require you to know people but to be in a position where you don't have to worry about money anyway since your dad is Mike Shanahan.

Advertisement
Captain Kosi would have crushed it under her.
FBE39DC7-7D5E-48A5-B7C1-42451D182334.jpeg

Man, some of you are some crazy mofos.

If Mario had hired a woman that played basketball to help coach our QB’s, most of this board would have come after him with pitchforks and torches, and rightfully so.

This “woke” culture bullshyt is out of control. She has zero experience coaching QB’s, and doesn’t even come from a football background.

If you’re gonna hire a female, at least hire one that has played the game, and has a good understanding of how to make the players better.
Facts.

Advertisement
I'm just saying. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I don't care if it's a transgender, if they're purple, a midget, whatever. As long as people EARN their positions.

Handouts for the sake of inclusivity and diversity aren't good for anybody.

Maybe next draft the Los Angeles Lakers can sign a midget. You know... for inclusivity... to diversify the roster.

And while I'm beating this drum, the NFL needs more white Cornerbacks.

It's all fun and games for this foolish push of "diversity and inclusivity" until their kid is on an operating room table clinging to life. All of a sudden its an insult and tragedy that the best of the best isn't saving little Johhny.

Only muppets place this nonsense over the common sense of individual character and performance.

#GiveMeMyParticipationTrophy

It's all fun and games for this foolish push of "diversity and inclusivity" until their kid is on an operating room table clinging to life. All of a sudden its an insult and tragedy that the best of the best isn't saving little Johhny.

Only muppets place this nonsense over the common sense of individual character and performance.

#GiveMeMyParticipationTrophy
Because the only people you should be comfortable with performing surgery are white or else you're at risk of being under the knife of a diversity and inclusivity hire.

CIS almost got me to respond to this thread with my honest opinion. Instead, I'll just be using it for profiling purposes. The maude way. Almost got me...

Advertisement
Because the only people you should be comfortable with performing surgery are white or else you're at risk of being under the knife of a diversity and inclusivity hire.
Kinda insulting to every surgical staff member who isn't white don't you think? Especially those that focused and achieved their goal through hard work and talent.

What a concept.

Advertisement
Do you know what they call the guy that finishes last in his medical school class?

Doctor 😂

The president of the United States finished 76th out of 85 in his law school class. He’s the leader of the free world. No one cares about little Johnny. 😂

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think there's a misunderstanding here about GA positions. GA positions are basically stepping stones for people to enter into the coaching field. They are largely unpaid, or there is a "stipend" which is very small. Like, not enough to pay your bills small.

Part of being a GA is that you are actually enrolled in the university with your tuition waived while you pursue a graduate degree. This is how the university gets around actually paying you. You can actually read through the NCAA Graduate Assistant Openings on the NCAA Job Market if you don't believe me.

"Who the **** would want to spend 1-2 years working full time while ALSO going to school full time and not even being paid?" Apparently lots of people because they know the connections they'll make are worth it, in addition to being able to put "Graduate Assistant, QBs - University of Michigan" on your resume. That's what gets you your next GA role, or your first position coaching gig as you try and move up the ladder.

"Who can afford to work full time as a GA but not be paid, or not be paid well enough to afford housing?" I was offered a position like this at the University of Arizona (shocker, I knew the Director of S&C) and I asked the same question. How do I work full time but make $10,000/year?

I never got a straight answer beyond, "Have you tried not being poor?" This is another way that GAs and the "good ol' boy network" systemically reduces opportunities for lower-class individuals: these jobs not only require you to know people but to be in a position where you don't have to worry about money anyway since your dad is Mike Shanahan.
Did you give up on your dream?

Do you know what they call the guy that finishes last in his medical school class?

Doctor 😂

The president of the United States finished 76th out of 85 in his law school class. He’s the leader of the free world. No one cares about little Johnny. 😂
You know what they don't ever call the bottom graduate of medical school?

Surgeon (or any other sub-specialty).

You know what they do call them?

Family (general) practice.

It's only worth celebrating if she's indeed qualified for the job.
Hiring unqualified people just for the sake of "diversity" is not something to celebrate. That's called a "handout".

I'd be curious to know many men can obtain GA jobs without playing a lick of football in their life.
Has a (male) college basketball player ever been hired as a football GA?
Manny Diaz managed to pull it off.

The list of men who became good coaches but never played a down of HS or college football is pretty long.

She's a GA. Hired to grind and learn. What makes someone unqualified to be a GA?

If Mario hired a random dude we've never heard of who never played as a GA nobody would give a ****. Why? Because its a GA
Being a woman. Lock the thread.

Advertisement
Back