Coaching Michigan hires first-ever Power Five female assistant

Advertisement
She's a grad assistant. That's where you get experience.
This sounds nice on paper until you realize how competitive GA positions are, particularly in P5 schools. An open GA position at UMichigan easily had over 200 qualified applicants. Many of these applicants likely already had paying jobs.

But they don't know anyone on the inside.

This sounds nice on paper until you realize how competitive GA positions are, particularly in P5 schools. An open GA position at UMichigan easily had over 200 qualified applicants. Many of these applicants likely already had paying jobs.

But they don't know anyone on the inside.
I don't doubt that at all. I also don't doubt that Harbaugh was looking for some good press. But none of that's her fault and even if that opened the door, she's still got to do the work.

Advertisement
Of course she is.

This is what everyone misses about collegiate and pro sports: there's always nepotism. Always. It sounds like a breakthrough hire until you look under the hood and realize someone is always related to a player, former player, coach, or administrator. There's always a connection. You cannot get your foot in the door unless you know someone.

She has no better qualifications to coach QBs than Jon Richt did, but we celebrate it as a breakthrough hire without realizing the underlying systemic "good ol' boys club" is the problem.

"It's a big club, and you ain't in it." - George Carlin
Very accurate statement. The problem is that way too many people like the good lo’ boys club and prefer that no one challenge it.

(Watch me derail this post, lol) I know some of y’all on here thinking we should hire Joy Taylor to be a Grad Assistant for OL or LB coach.

I kid, I kid! I’m a JT fan! 😂

Their are many women working in football programs all over these days. We will probably see more after these bio science hires we made, besides Jen. A female coach in college is new, but shouldn't be surprising. I wish her well.

Advertisement
Good for her. Some woman had to be the first. She will be the third, maybe the fourth/fifth, qb coach. Harbaugh, Weiss, her, and the other GAs. Weiss was a punter at Vanderbilt and never coached qbs until he got to Ann Arbor.

Dude misapplying a George Carlin quote because Harbaugh hired a black woman for mid 5 figures job. The world will keep on spinning folks.

These coaches walk into the homes of these kids and say they will look at for their families. Well, Harbaugh did just that. I highly doubt a Georgetown student athlete’s only work option was a GA job. Like Ed O said it is basketball on grass out there.

Last edited:
Of course she is.

This is what everyone misses about collegiate and pro sports: there's always nepotism. Always. It sounds like a breakthrough hire until you look under the hood and realize someone is always related to a player, former player, coach, or administrator. There's always a connection. You cannot get your foot in the door unless you know someone.

She has no better qualifications to coach QBs than Jon Richt did, but we celebrate it as a breakthrough hire without realizing the underlying systemic "good ol' boys club" is the problem.

"It's a big club, and you ain't in it." - George Carlin
Life is a contact sport, something we should all make sure our kids understand before heading out into the world.

The list of men who became good coaches but never played a down of HS or college football is pretty long.

She's a GA. Hired to grind and learn. What makes someone unqualified to be a GA?

If Mario hired a random dude we've never heard of who never played as a GA nobody would give a ****. Why? Because its a GA
Exactly! It’s not like he hired the woman to be his QB coach. She’s a GA. It’s an experiment… on both ends. If women wanna get in the game, they gotta start somewhere. I wouldn’t have any issue at all, if Mario hired a woman as a GA. Some of y’all muhfuccas in here acting like he hired her to be his **** OC. This is not like Wake putting that female kicker on the field, just to say, “we were the first to put a woman on the field, in a D1 game.” Even though they had a more qualified man on the sideline. That’s not what this is.

I wish her well in her future career.

Serious question: why QB’s?

What specific skill does she bring to this coaching role. Is it an actual on field role? I’m saying this as someone that actually hires women and thinks them equal to men in terms of the business world. (Actually women are generally better than men in some skills in the business world, This may be thought of as sexist or not, but they’re generally more empathetic and better communicators).
Women tend to be far more advanced than us knuckle dragging men.

With that said, she better make me a cot damned sanmmich.

😭😭😭😭😭😭

Advertisement
It's only worth celebrating if she's indeed qualified for the job.
Hiring unqualified people just for the sake of "diversity" is not something to celebrate. That's called a "handout".

I'd be curious to know many men can obtain GA jobs without playing a lick of football in their life.
Has a (male) college basketball player ever been hired as a football GA?

Advertisement
It's only worth celebrating if she's indeed qualified for the job.
Hiring unqualified people just for the sake of "diversity" is not something to celebrate. That's called a "handout".

I'd be curious to know many men can obtain GA jobs without playing a lick of football in their life.
Has a (male) college basketball player ever been hired as a football GA?
Spurrier hired Jedd Fisch as a GA and the guy played tennis growing up. P5 head coach at the moment.

This girl has a brother on the roster so a fade is a mere outburst away lol. Wish her well but she’s doing grunt work. She’s going to be throwing footballs in trash cans during practice and cutting up practice clips at 5am.

Spurrier hired Jedd Fisch as a GA and the guy played tennis growing up. P5 head coach at the moment.

This girl has a brother on the roster so a fade is a mere outburst away lol. Wish her well but she’s doing grunt work. She’s going to be throwing footballs in trash cans during practice and cutting up practice clips at 5am.
I'm just saying. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I don't care if it's a transgender, if they're purple, a midget, whatever. As long as people EARN their positions.

Handouts for the sake of inclusivity and diversity aren't good for anybody.

Maybe next draft the Los Angeles Lakers can sign a midget. You know... for inclusivity... to diversify the roster.

And while I'm beating this drum, the NFL needs more white Cornerbacks.

I'm just saying. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I don't care if it's a transgender, if they're purple, a midget, whatever. As long as people EARN their positions.

Handouts for the sake of inclusivity and diversity aren't good for anybody.

Maybe next draft the Los Angeles Lakers can sign a midget. You know... for inclusivity... to diversify the roster.

And while I'm beating this drum, the NFL needs more white Cornerbacks.
Who’s gonna follow in the legacy of the great Jason Seahorn!!

Advertisement
Back