Michael Pinckney

What’s wrong with him staying four years?

Is there a reason folks are assuming he’ll go pro?

We’ve gotta get out of this funk where it’s pretty much an expectation for any decent/good player to go pro after their third year.

That made sense in the past when we had guys like Portis, Shockey, Buchanon, Beason, etc.

We forget that guys like Vilma, DJ Williams, William Joseph, and many others stayed four years.

56 can play. But he’s not a dude that should be thinking about leaving early, IMO.

Last edited:
Advertisement
What’s wrong with him staying four years?

Is there a reason folks are assuming he’ll go pro?

We’ve gotta get out of this funk where it’s pretty much an expectation for any decent/good player to go pro after their third year.

That made sense in the past when we had guys like Portis, Shockey, Buchanon, Beason, etc.

We forget that guys like Vilma, DJ Williams, William Joseph, and many other stayed four years.

56 can play. But he’s not a dude that should be thinking about leaving early, IMO.

Legit...NONE...absolutely ZERO of our players should even be thinking about the pro game right now.

Our top returning underclassmen in 2018 was only 2nd Team All-ACC (Homer and Shaq).

I think it goes without saying...RB and LB are two positions that slide down the board like crazy and become afterthoughts if they declare early, don't show out throughout the process, don't have ++ attributes to bring to the league, etc. Two very volatile positions, especially if you aren't really filled with skills the pro game requires of you...pass catching and blocking from a RB...ability to cover at an elite level as a LB...

Look at some of these monster collegiate LBs that just fell into the abyss...Josey Jewell, Shaq Griffin, Micah Kiser...we gotta be aware of what these guys bring to the table for the next level.

Don’t give a s*it what kind of shape he’s in as long as he continues to make plays. Some of you fall in love with body types.

Zach McCloud is an freak shows physically but he’s just not very good.

Pick is he best LB on the team IMO, just keep being a playmaker.
pinckney a beast but he isn't more impactful than Shaq. Every time shaq wasn't on the field it was felt.

Pinck might be an OLB in a 4-3 system but I think his best role is playing in a 3-4. He has the instincts to hit the gaps and be a TFL machine.

Legit...NONE...absolutely ZERO of our players should even be thinking about the pro game right now.

Our top returning underclassmen in 2018 was only 2nd Team All-ACC (Homer and Shaq).

I think it goes without saying...RB and LB are two positions that slide down the board like crazy and become afterthoughts if they declare early, don't show out throughout the process, don't have ++ attributes to bring to the league, etc. Two very volatile positions, especially if you aren't really filled with skills the pro game requires of you...pass catching and blocking from a RB...ability to cover at an elite level as a LB...

Look at some of these monster collegiate LBs that just fell into the abyss...Josey Jewell, Shaq Griffin, Micah Kiser...we gotta be aware of what these guys bring to the table for the next level.

Griffin really came on his senior year in a breakout season. I was very surprised to see Micah Kiser’s fall. His production was pretty astounding.

People should put all this first round talk to bed. Norton and McIntosh were 2nd round picks, claimed by many in this board. Y’all forget there are hundreds of other teams with players just as talented.

Advertisement
pinckney a beast but he isn't more impactful than Shaq. Every time shaq wasn't on the field it was felt.

When did that happen?

I’m not saying Shaq isn’t a good LB.

But I don’t remember holding my breath when M Smith was in.

Shaq also missed lots of tackles and took poor angles, and failed to shed blocks many times.

He’s nowhere near what we should consider to be an elite LB.

He’s solid. He’ll definitely improve these next two years and hopefully take that step to being an elite MIAMI linebacker.

Michael Pinckney has 1st round potential... he makes impact plays tha'ts what the 1st round is about. His NFL combine measurements and performance may keep him out of the 1st like it did w/ Denzel Perryman but I definitely want the Falcons to draft him when he comes out... HOPEFULLY after his Senior year

I don't think most LB's flash before their junior year.

Sean Spence was an exception and he still stayed for four years. Denzel Perryman was an excellent football player and I don't remember him being elite until his junior and senior seasons. Colin McCarthy was pretty good too and I don't think he started balling until his junior year. I don't think LB is an easy position.

I'm not sure where these expectations come from but Shaq and Pinckney have been above average to good their first two years. I remember when Spence was a senior and Perryman was a freshman, I imagined if they were both at their peak at the same time. We would've had a great defense.

I think we have a lot to look forward to with Shaq and Pinck beyond this season.

Michael Pinckney has 1st round potential... he makes impact plays tha'ts what the 1st round is about. His NFL combine measurements and performance may keep him out of the 1st like it did w/ Denzel Perryman but I definitely want the Falcons to draft him when he comes out... HOPEFULLY after his Senior year

Perryman is a great comparison, IMHO. Very similar style of instinctual play, without being freak-of-nature-elite athletically. Perryman would have gone 4th-5th round if he had left after his Junior year. He stayed and went first half of 2nd round. Pickney shouldn't even consider leaving early. AFTER the season, if he ends up an AA and the NFL advisor says he's day one, then sure. But don't pull a Kaaya or Norton and decide before the season is even played out, please.

Advertisement
Pinckney needs to realize that many on this board have decided that unless he has a six pack he won’t be considered a great LB.

I will be stunned if the LB play doesn’t slip this year. The line isn’t as good so these boys will have to shoulder a heavier load.

I will be stunned if the LB play doesn’t slip this year. The line isn’t as good so these boys will have to shoulder a heavier load.
Disagree, the dline last year in particular wasn’t discipline and would often run themselves out of plays which caused gaps in the defense. They wasn’t perfect at all. In addition to that Miami has multiple experienced players on the dline who have played a lot of ball

Last edited:
Advertisement
Here’s hoping that Shaq and Pinckney break the trend of our Jrs leaving early to be mid/late round picks...
Doubt it with Pinckney(not everyone likes the rigors of school and the first check could be appealing ), maybe so with shaq but if he’s projected as a top 2 round pick then he needs to declare period

Doubt it with Pinckney(not everyone likes the rigors of school and the first check could be appealing ), maybe so with shaq but if he’s projected as a top 2 round pick then he needs to declare period

Absolutely if they are projected as top 2 picks they should go. And by projected I mean by the NFL advisory board (not some scum bag agent..looking at you malkwai or however you spell it).

Disagree, the dline last year in particular wasn’t discipline and run themselves out of plays which caused gaps in the defense. They wasn’t perfect at all. In addition to that Miami has multiple experienced players on the dline who have played a lot of ball
You think the D Line will be better in 2018?

Advertisement
Has it really been that long since we’ve had an elite LB that you think Pinckney is an “impact” player?

He’s very good, and I love his attitude. But his play is average by Miami standards IMO (which is not a bad thing). I’m speaking just from results. I could give 2 ***** about his physique.

Think back to Vilma, DJ, Barrow, Armstead, Morgan, Beason, Lewis, **** even Rohan and Spence.

Pinckney is very good, but not on that level IMO (assuming it’s allowed to have an opinion here).

Last edited:
I for one can't wait for Pinckney to leave early due to the influence of Peter Ariz and his *** Agent TM boss only to be undrafted.

Has it really been that long since we’ve had an elite LB that you think Pinckney is an “impact” player?

He’s very good, and I love his attitude. But his play is average by Miami standards IMO (which is not a bad thing). I’m speaking just from results.

Think back to Vilma, DJ, Barrow, Armstead, Morgan, Beason, Lewis, **** even Rohan and Spence.

Pinckney is very good, but not on that level IMO (assuming it’s allowed to have an opinion here).

This

Advertisement
Back