Michael McClaughlin SR highlights

Advertisement
Trying to think of a developmental kid that has developed recently
I do my best to not give the staff too much or too little credit. Especially on defense. But I’ll give them Greg Rousseau. I mean the guy was playing safety and receiver. So there’s one. Zion in one year with justice has taken a step. But the misses are aplenty

And I was absolutely crucified by the white knight fans when I said he wasn’t Miami Caliber & he was weak af. Lol.
Same thing happened to me with Tommy Kennedy. Was told I wasn’t a real canes fan then we got word Nesta was eating his lunch at practice and he never saw the field.

I’ll never forget the first picture I seen of him after he signed that kid looked like a freshman. Legs like twigs 😂😂😂😂

Advertisement
Same thing happened to me with Tommy Kennedy. Was told I wasn’t a real canes fan then we got word Nesta was eating his lunch at practice and he never saw the field.

I’ll never forget the first picture I seen of him after he signed that kid looked like a freshman. Legs like twigs 😂😂😂😂

Straight off the end of the tree branch, bro. Lol.

Man; we’ve had some tragedies! Lol.

I realized he wasn’t good when we were told he was to be our starting left tackle and he opened up spring as our third string center

Advertisement
@HighSeas

Your thoughts?

Just from looking at his highlights he looks very raw both from a technique and bulk perspective. So we're probably looking at 2 years of development before he's competing to start. He needs to bulk up and work on his stance, footwork and hand placement.

On the other hand, I can't think of any OTs with that combination of frame and movement who didn't develop into starters. Even the ones who have very limited football experience typically end up getting to an All-Conference level by the their 4th year. And he doesn't have any deficiencies as far as flexibility or weight distribution or motor/toughness. So I'm comfortable betting on his traits and I believe in Feeley and Justice to help him reach his ceiling.

Rodriguez is a technician and Big Baby is just a scrappy competitor so I think they'll see the field sooner even though they're more limited athletically. It wouldn't surprise me if they're both better than Gaynor/Clark by the end of year 1.

Rivals camp from 10 months ago and a lot lighter, he looked good. He won 1 of 2 reps against Sapp. The other 2 DL I don't recognize the guys, but he won both.

Bingo.

Feldman had an article with a bunch of quotes from OL coaches. They're hoping to hit 50% at best. The strategy is to find enough guys with the uncoachables (frame, movement, aggression) and hope some pan out.

I don't love McClaughlin's movement and flexibility in those clips, but I suspect he's still getting used to the new weight and position. He moved better in his basketball clips.

He reminds me of Nelson lumbering around after putting on the pounds last season.

Advertisement
The only problem I have w/ developmental kids, lately, is our development of kids.
Yeah but we've juggled line coaches and offensive systems like there's no tomorrow. Finally they'll have some stability with the same coach and system. Gotta give justice some time to hopefully develop these guys.

Yeah but we've juggled line coaches and offensive systems like there's no tomorrow. Finally they'll have some stability with the same coach and system. Gotta give justice some time to hopefully develop these guys.

I feel u, but bro; u forget we had stability w/ both Golden’s & Richt’s staff prior to the musical chairs of Manny’s staff. Recall, we were crucifying Searels, and now he looks like the 2nd coming of Brent Key in Chapel Hill.

Advertisement
That has nothing to do with the players now. Yeah we have a bad track record developing oline lately but we need to see what justice can do. If we look like *** next year I'll change my tune

I look at all recruits from a points basis. Coaching, scheme and training should make a recruit 2 points better. McLaughlin at minimum is, say a 7. In my belief of what program should do for kids, is make them noticeably better from a performance basis. The way I see it, the scheme, coaching and training should make McLaughlin a 9 level performer, making him a solid OL starter. Same with Rivers, Williams, Big Baby, Rodriquez and others. Otherwise the OL coach and and associated program actions should be changed.
Same with all of them? A 7 growing into a 9 you say? Sure, why not.

Advertisement
Back