Michael McClaughlin SR highlights

Advertisement
Advertisement
Hope you’re wrong. But have a feeling you are right.
I'm not saying he won't be the next Mt. McKinnie. But when you watch that you see him fall on a guy 5'10 185 that's "playing DE." He's not exactly going up against equal raw talent there. Same stuff you saw from Navaughn Donaldson. Leaning and falling on some little punk (as a former little punk Ian Scott fell all over for tape) =/= highlights to me. But without camps you can't be certain and even there it's no pads, no scheme, just 1on1's... it's the hardest pos to Croot by far.

Ehhh we'll see, hard to predict OL.
I'm just finding this coaching squad is in love with what they look like coming off the bus more often then not.

Not much of a knee bender (hard to teach), not particularly explosive off the line of scrimmage (i.e., feet aren't too fast, again hard to teach that), I see at times his hand placement is good with arm lockout, but other times not so much (this can be coached easily), the size and length are there.

He's at minimum not going to see the field for minimum 2 or 3 years, 100% developmental prospect, with descent traits to be a potential starter or back-up swing tackle at P5 level.

Hardest part of recruiting OL, this is a tape of him bullying a JV kid all night who is going to college in something other than sports.
Bingo.

Feldman had an article with a bunch of quotes from OL coaches. They're hoping to hit 50% at best. The strategy is to find enough guys with the uncoachables (frame, movement, aggression) and hope some pan out.

I don't love McClaughlin's movement and flexibility in those clips, but I suspect he's still getting used to the new weight and position. He moved better in his basketball clips.

Advertisement
He needs a couple years to develop. He has some odd habits. On some plays he does a hop-step coming out of his stance. On other plays he lumbers and leans out over his toes before making contact with the DE. He'll get destroyed by high-level DEs right now so he needs time.

The sooner he gets on campus the better. He has a lot of technique issues that need to be cleaned up first starting with his stance and initial movements off the ball.

He also looks like he added too much weight too quickly. It may have cost him some of his athleticism and bend. I would have preferred he come in at 255 and have our S&C staff supervise his weight gain rather than doing it himself.

Hand placement, hand placement, hand placement. He catches everything in his body. That’s not about technique, it’s about aggressiveness. I don’t like to bash kids, I just don’t see it with him.

I look at all recruits from a points basis. Coaching, scheme and training should make a recruit 2 points better. McLaughlin at minimum is, say a 7. In my belief of what program should do for kids, is make them noticeably better from a performance basis. The way I see it, the scheme, coaching and training should make McLaughlin a 9 level performer, making him a solid OL starter. Same with Rivers, Williams, Big Baby, Rodriquez and others. Otherwise the OL coach and and associated program actions should be changed.

Advertisement
OL Recruiting is all about coaching and development.. just a year ago McLaughlin was 6'5 220LBs. He's now 6'7 290 LBs and still adjusting with his size and new position. He should spend two full years of development with Feeley and by then he should be 6'7 330LBs and have a true Power 5 OL build. He will still have 3 years of eligibility to be a starter. The problem is we are always trying to rush our OL recruits to play immediately, but now we don't have to anymore and can actually develop them instead of throwing them to the Wolves as babies like we did with Zion.

Bingo.

Feldman had an article with a bunch of quotes from OL coaches. They're hoping to hit 50% at best. The strategy is to find enough guys with the uncoachables (frame, movement, aggression) and hope some pan out.

I don't love McClaughlin's movement and flexibility in those clips, but I suspect he's still getting used to the new weight and position. He moved better in his basketball clips.
I love a basketball guy. Too many "trainers" want to add 1RM strength and 'bad weight' vs power, speed, COD/Agility and good weight. I prefer lean over fat. Power/explosion over strength. Would be nice to funnel players to a trainer before they arrive. I'm assuming that's a violation?

has dmoney ever said anything bad about a recruit that signed with us
or that they arent miami caliber and were just reaching to fill numbers
based on his comments about all our recruits are either cant miss prospects or hidden gems

Advertisement
I'm not saying he won't be the next Mt. McKinnie. But when you watch that you see him fall on a guy 5'10 185 that's "playing DE." He's not exactly going up against equal raw talent there. Same stuff you saw from Navaughn Donaldson. Leaning and falling on some little punk (as a former little punk Ian Scott fell all over for tape) =/= highlights to me. But without camps you can't be certain and even there it's no pads, no scheme, just 1on1's... it's the hardest pos to Croot by far.
Navaughn Donaldson played against div 1 talent week in week out. His issue is conditioning and mental...his playing ability obviously is there.

Don’t need him for a while (hopefully) with Walker and Washington.

Will say he definitely needs coaching (most do) and needs to adapt to his frame. Still plays pretty goofy and out of control. S&C will go a long way

Navaughn Donaldson played against div 1 talent week in week out. His issue is conditioning and mental...his playing ability obviously is there.
You should go back and look at his tape, and who he made contact with on every play. He's a large man, but they were insanely smaller players. Most of his tape was him wrapping or working 2nd level against HS LB'ers. He leaned and tackled.

Not quite having to lock up with a P5 DL every week. I missed how it's obvious his potential ever became production.

Advertisement
Back