Miami's defensive staff vs the competition (Recruiting).

Advertisement
I think the truth is some where in da middle. I live in Atlanta. UGA is benefiting from having a better talent base in state, playing in the CFP title game and they def are playing the bag game I work with some of their boosters. For Example I will give you the fact that Kirby can sell being the Alabama DC and getting DB’s and defensive recruits. But somebody explain how in the **** they are getting the type of offensive recruits they are . Let’s pull up their offensive staff. If we are going to criticize our staff’s track record explain what would warrant them getting the types of QBs, WRs, TEs and Oline lets examine their offensive coaches resumes. Our staff may make some mistakes but UGA isnt the staff to compare them too.

You literally had Nevin Shapiro come out while trying to burn down UM that as much as he was paying recruits/players, it was nowhere compared to what happened in the SEC.
He actually said he never paid recruits. He said he wasn't getting involved with that because he couldn't pay what the sec paid.

Advertisement
We had James Coley on our staff did he just magically learn how to recruit. let’s get real
not going to knock coley. he offered a kid i knew and wanted to offer another but golden veto'd it. golden was a control freak. Coley was very open to talk to about kids.

Wasn't Mel Tucker a NFL defensive coordinator?

He was. Here's the problem:

We knock Rumph/Banda for the players they've sent to the league so far - Carter, Jenkins, Colbert (who looks like he's going to be a starter this upcoming season).

Yet, we don't knock Tucker at all for the blatant blemishes on his resume - turned a dominant Chicago Bears defense into swiss cheese.

Being green is one thing. But it looks like Banda/Rumph are developing kids which wasn't done with the previous staff.

I work in the IT field. I'm fully aware they're different, but I've seen guys in the field for 2-3 years that lap guys that have been in the field for over 10 years. Tenure in one's field doesn't measure effectiveness. It's a short-sighted and foolish way to measure one's acumen in any profession solely off tenure.

Again, are Rumph/Banda free of any criticism as it relates to recruiting? No. But to completely dismiss that incentives are not in play is probably the most pathetically naive BS I've seen on this forum.

Sam Pittman is the Oline Coach he was at Arkansas and North Carolina. Some how his recruiting ability has drastically changed at UGA. Can anybody tell me who he sent to the league recently?? Somehow he assembled the best oline class. His track record wasnt an issue.

Advertisement
He actually said he never paid recruits. He said he wasn't getting involved with that because he couldn't pay what the sec paid.

That's basically what I'm getting at. On a side note, he was apparently hosting parties and such for recruits, but I'm not going deeper on that topic.

OP's saying that it's irrelevant. I'm saying it's something to consider.

Calling our coaches "green *** coaches" on this, or any forum for that matter, will surely help in our recruiting. (sarcasm) What other coaches were available at the time? What other coaches should CMR have pursued? Of any of these, what coaches would have come to the U with the train wreck CMR inherited?

All new HC's are faced with the same challenges when hiring a new staff. New coaches to a new staff are poached from other programs to the same position (OC to OC, etc.) or coaches from other programs are promoted when brought in to a new staff. Turnover in coaching also presents it's challenges. Look at Sabag. He's had a coaching change **** near every year. Where does he get replacements? Usually with in. A lower level coach gets promoted. Or he poaches a coach from another program. Happen all the time.

Advertisement
So how come we're only having this conversation about defensive recruits? Do you guys really want me to believe that the bagmen only pay for defensive recruits? Or maybe our bagmen only pay for offensive recruits because our offensive staff doesn't seem to be having any problems recruiting top players.

And as I said before...

WTF does 2 years mean?!

KIRBY IS GOING TO PITCH HIS ENTIRE RESUME!!!!!

LOL @ Ephram Banda walking into a kid's living room and saying "I know Coach Smart has a bunch of players in the NFL and has won NC's, but the last 2 years I've done a better job of coaching."

It's even more laughable when you consider the fact that he's fresh off an NC appearance and Banda's DB's are fresh off an a$$ whooping from some True Freshman WR at Wisconsin.
Just like Tuckers DB's are fresh off an a$$ whooping from a true freshman qb and 3 true freshman wrs....

At what point do we stop blaming "The Bag Man" and just admit that we got out recruited?

Believe it or not, some staffs can actually recruit really well.

At the point where I can see a guy like Coley not do crap here and then all of a sudden become a savage at Georgia. At the point where Richt was consistently bringing in 5 star players and top 10 classes at Georgia and is struggling to keep top players here. Maybe the LOCATION makes a difference. At UGA, OSU, BAMA Clemson the game is played differently . It’s not like we are losing recruits to Texas or OU or even Penn Stateon a consistent basis.

Advertisement
So how come we're only having this conversation about defensive recruits? Do you guys really want me to believe that the bagmen only pay for defensive recruits? Or maybe our bagmen only pay for offensive recruits because our offensive staff doesn't seem to be having any problems recruiting top players.

I'm not sure about this cycle, but they have in the past.

Sony Michel
Max Jean Giles
The receiver/return man from Heritage a few years back. Can't remember his name.

That's just Georgia.

Baga comes down and purchases whatever receiver they want from South Florida as well.

I'm not sure about this cycle, but they have in the past.

Sony Michel
Max Jean Giles
The receiver/return man from Heritage a few years back. Can't remember his name.

That's just Georgia.

Baga comes down and purchases whatever receiver they want from South Florida as well.

I mean with our staff now. We get a offensive staff that knows how to recruit and all of a sudden the offensive bag men magically disappear

I think we recruited well enough to land Josh Jobe and TS.

Those guys aren't canes because they got bought. Plain and simple.

Tyson Campbell and Surtain never wanted to come here

Advertisement
Back