Miami wants Jackson's Flowers at WR or S

One of the reason Flowers has been such a great quarterback his whole life is because he believes in himself. When you play a position for a decade and have major success, why should you listen to someone tell you that you can't do it?

Texas wanted RGIII as a receiver and Football as a corner. Penn State wanted Jim Kelly as a linebacker. LSU wanted Teddy Bridgewater as a receiver. Southern Miss earmarked Brett Favre as a safety and let him play quarterback as a courtesy.

You could go on and on. The NFL (a.k.a. the guys who cut the checks) told Warren Moon he was a receiver and told Rich Gannon he was a safety. The only reason those guys were able to have so much success in their careers is because they didn't believe what they were being told.

Do I think quarterback is Winky's best long-term position? No. I see him as an NFL safety. But he's had enough success and has enough skills (including a rocket right arm) that he deserves a shot at quarterback. If he's not as good as Kaaya or Rosier/Eduoard, move him. If he's better than those guys, keep him there. Maybe Rosier should be a safety. He certainly looked good there in his highlights. Bring in the most talented, most productive football players and let them compete. Flowers is one of the best football players in Florida, and he should be here.

in what interview has he said he's open to playing anything but QB? in everything i read he says other teams want him at other positions but he is a QB and that isn't changing. so what makes u think that if he plays QB for 2 years he would be open to switiching to safety if he doesn't start? sounds like he is more the type to transfer to continue playing QB. also if he isnt a qb he wasted 2 years practicing at a position that he wont contribute at and now has to learn how to play college safety with only 2 years left unless he hasn't already redshirted. I think this only works if u tell him he gets 1 year to prove he is in the top 2 or 3 QB's and if not he moves to DB full time and he agrees to it

Advertisement
in what interview has he said he's open to playing anything but QB? in everything i read he says other teams want him at other positions but he is a QB and that isn't changing. so what makes u think that if he plays QB for 2 years he would be open to switiching to safety if he doesn't start? sounds like he is more the type to transfer to continue playing QB. also if he isnt a qb he wasted 2 years practicing at a position that he wont contribute at and now has to learn how to play college safety with only 2 years left unless he hasn't already redshirted. I think this only works if u tell him he gets 1 year to prove he is in the top 2 or 3 QB's and if not he moves to DB full time and he agrees to it

A lot can change in a player's mind when he sees that someone is genuinely better than him. Right now, Kaaya and Rosier are names on a paper that never dominated Dade County like he did. But if he sees that one or both or those guys are better, his stance on playing quarterback may change a bit.

You see it all the time. A guy gets comfortable on a team and school and becomes more willing to change positions over time. Sam Shields was more eager to play cornerback as a college senior than he was as a blue-chip high schooler. And if Flowers eventually wants to transfer, so be it. The team was straight up with him and he got beat out. What does this cost you?

He doesn't deserve a shot at QB at Miami. If the coaches want to give him one, thats fine. But his high school accomplishments don't automatically qualify him for what amounts to a tryout before a potential switch.

A lot can change in a player's mind when he sees that someone is genuinely better than him. Right now, Kaaya and Rosier are names on a paper that never dominated Dade County like he did. But if he sees that one or both or those guys are better, his stance on playing quarterback may change a bit.

You see it all the time. A guy gets comfortable on a team and school and becomes more willing to change positions over time. Sam Shields was more eager to play cornerback as a college senior than he was as a blue-chip high schooler. And if Flowers eventually wants to transfer, so be it. The team was straight up with him and he got beat out. What does this cost you?

true a lot can change once he gets on campus but why take that chance if you dont have too. Miami already has 2 QB's committed its not as if its the end of the year and miami is desperate for QB's. and if he transfers it cost u a chance to develop qb depth or a potential starter with a player with a better chance for success it could also cause u depth a DB if the team used that scholarship on another safety since it seems the team feels that would be his best position, especially with the likely hood of reduced scholarships coming in the near future and for what? its not as if all the major schools in florida are offering him at QB and he can say what he wants about the Bama QB offer but nobody believes that. its a reason a team like Marshal a non BCS conference school is in his top 3

One of the reason Flowers has been such a great quarterback his whole life is because he believes in himself. When you play a position for a decade and have major success, why should you listen to someone tell you that you can't do it?

Texas wanted RGIII as a receiver and Johnny Football as a corner. Penn State wanted Jim Kelly as a linebacker. LSU wanted Teddy Bridgewater as a receiver. Southern Miss earmarked Brett Favre as a safety and let him play quarterback as a courtesy.

You could go on and on. The NFL (a.k.a. the guys who cut the checks) told Warren Moon he was a receiver and told Rich Gannon he was a safety. The only reason those guys were able to have so much success in their careers is because they didn't believe what they were being told.

Do I think quarterback is Winky's best long-term position? No. I see him as an NFL safety. But he's had enough success and has enough skills (including a rocket right arm) that he deserves a shot at quarterback. If he's not as good as Kaaya or Rosier/Eduoard, move him. If he's better than those guys, keep him there. Maybe Rosier should be a safety. He certainly looked good there in his highlights. Bring in the most talented, most productive football players and let them compete. Flowers is one of the best football players in Florida, and he should be here.

I know you've seen a lot more of Winky than I have, but I just dont see the same arm talent as you do. I see a clunky delivery and average arm strength. If his arm were as strong as you claim it is I'd think he'd be getting looks from more schools as a QB.

Most of the guys you listed above had the opportunity to play QB at a Major DI school, as of now the same cant be said for Winky.

Advertisement
I want the kid here because he's a winner. At the same time I don't want to take him if he's not at least willing to consider a position change if other QB's are better than he is.

I want the kid here because he's a winner. At the same time I don't want to take him if he's not at least willing to consider a position change if other QB's are better than he is.

He is a winner because he is a competitor. He wants a chance to compete. We don't know that he's not willing to switch positions if he gets beat out. He hasn't been beaten out. Until then, Kaaya and Rosier mean nothing to him.

Sign the most talented and competitive players. The downside with Winky is minimal and the upside is enormous. Let's stop losing South Florida studs for dumb reasons.

I know you've seen a lot more of Winky than I have, but I just dont see the same arm talent as you do. I see a clunky delivery and average arm strength. If his arm were as strong as you claim it is I'd think he'd be getting looks from more schools as a QB.

Agree on the clunky delivery but his arm strength is outstanding. That's his best attribute as a passer, along with big hands.

I think his future is at safety but I won't shut the door on him at QB because he's never been coached. Either way, he is one of the top five players I saw last year.

I just do not understand how some people continue to stick to this old dogma. Know who else has a weird throwing motion? Kaepernick. The guy who just took his team to the effing Super Bowl. That was drafted behind studs like Blaine Gabbert and Christian Ponder. I would sign Rosier and Kaaya and I would also sign Harris and Edouard and ESPECIALLY Winky, because the worst that happens is they can't play QB, we tell them that after a year and they transfer and we haven't lost anything. I for one want to at least give "the next Anquan Boldin" a shot, and if that means using his redshirt year early on letting him try QB so be it.

Advertisement
I just do not understand how some people continue to stick to this old dogma. Know who else has a weird throwing motion? Kaepernick. The guy who just took his team to the effing Super Bowl. That was drafted behind studs like Blaine Gabbert and Christian Ponder. I would sign Rosier and Kaaya and I would also sign Harris and Edouard and ESPECIALLY Winky, because the worst that happens is they can't play QB, we tell them that after a year and they transfer and we haven't lost anything. I for one want to at least give "the next Anquan Boldin" a shot, and if that means using his redshirt year early on letting him try QB so be it.

If Winky was 6'5 I would agree, but he's 5'10-5'11.

I guess D$ and I are going to have to agree to disagree because I don't see an elite arm there. It's not bad, but its not enough to make up for his other deficiencies.

I guess D$ and I are going to have to agree to disagree because I don't see an elite arm there. It's not bad, but its not enough to make up for his other deficiencies.

Russ Wilson is 5'10". It's about the individual. This kid is worth a shot.

Russ Wilson is 5'10". It's about the individual. This kid is worth a shot.

Not every 5'10 Black QB is Russell Wilson or Mike Vick. At the same age you can't even compare the arm Flowers' arm talent to Wilsons. That guy threw 17 Tds and 1 INT as a freshman. Kid threw 40 Tds as a High school senior.

Here is Russell Wilsons High school highlight tape. While he displays athleticism he also shows a much more compact delivery, stronger arm, and the ability to not only step up into the pocket but also keep his eyes down field. Enjoy:

[video=youtube;JH1d0m9nYRw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH1d0m9nYRw[/video]

Here is Flowers' tape:

[video=youtube;FSmS3lJchSs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSmS3lJchSs[/video]

Personally, I am confused as to how anybody can watch Flowers and not see a clone of Denard Robinson. Their Highlights are almost identical:

[video=youtube;jX_GMcHqjBs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX_GMcHqjBs[/video]

All of this being said, I think Flowers can play QB at the college level and be successful, but not in an offense like Miami's. IMO he could be a beast at Georgia Tech, or some sort of option based offense.

Just my .02.

Advertisement
If Oregon is running the same offense I'd say he should go there if he wants to be a great college QB.

I would give him his shot at Miami and see what happens.

Question for those who think he belongs at Safety. Why? I say reciever because he looks like he needs the ball in his hands.

My point was not to compare him to Wilson, but to say that being 5'10" does not disqualify you. Flowers is a bona fide playmaker with a strong arm. Tell him he gets a shot at QB, coach him up and see if the coaching takes. If it doesn't move him to safety or grant his release. What is wrong with this plan?

If Oregon is running the same offense I'd say he should go there if he wants to be a great college QB.

I would give him his shot at Miami and see what happens.

Question for those who think he belongs at Safety. Why? I say reciever because he looks like he needs the ball in his hands.
I dont think even they would want him because all of their qbs are mobile but 6'3 or around that

Advertisement
My point was not to compare him to Wilson, but to say that being 5'10" does not disqualify you. Flowers is a bona fide playmaker with a strong arm. Tell him he gets a shot at QB, coach him up and see if the coaching takes. If it doesn't move him to safety or grant his release. What is wrong with this plan?

Nothing.

If this kid goes to Bama and then balls out at another position I just don't know what I'm going to do.

you're right, 5'10" shouldn't disqualify one of the best arms in the country (wilson), or one of the best athletes in the country (vick) from getting a shot at a major program, or in the pros. but if he is neither of those, and he doesn't fit the QB mold Coley has in mind, the point is irrelevant.

the problem with that plan, is you are then throwing a scholarship and two years of development at a position of need (e.g. another DT) away. he is not a lock to play qb, and until he shows he is willing to change position, it is not something you use a scholarship on. if his outlook was that he would love to play QB but would play whatever was needed to make it at the next level, the conversation changes, but nothing so far points to that being his attitude.

moving him to safety, or granting him his release if he finds himself buried is exactly what we cannot afford, even more so if the NCAA feels the need to tack on a few scholarships lost when their ruling is made. at least not until golden gets cutthroat and oversigns every year with the intent of trimming the fat a la Bama.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Back