Miami vs Florida game #2

Advertisement
All this whining needs to stop. We were 1 pitch away from a win. This is just the rub of the game and doesn't define the season.

The reason tha UF and UM play this game so early in the season is to find out about themselves against a quality apponent.

A national championship is won or lost in February.
I get that it’s a pitch here or there but it’s the bigger picture that makes this really frustrating. At some point that pitch or that hit has to happen

The strength coach left before Fall practice and we ended up promoting the trainer
I get coaching changes and stuff...and trainers/coaches having a certain training plan for guys on the team...

...but none of those aforementioned guys couldn't figure out for themselves that they needed to pick up something more than plyo-bands, and maybe follow Gabe Rivera to the gym and lift actual weights with him a few times a week? I'm using some hyperbole here, sure...but still.

If so, that's mindblowingly **** poor on their parts. A guy like Lala or Vilar ought to know that it's better for him to get stronger so he can swing the bat instead of the bat swinging him.

I get coaching changes and stuff...and trainers/coaches having a certain training plan for guys on the team...

...but none of those aforementioned guys couldn't figure out for themselves that they needed to pick up something more than plyo-bands, and maybe follow Gabe Rivera to the gym and lift actual weights with him a few times a week? I'm using some hyperbole here, sure...but still.

If so, that's mindblowingly **** poor on their parts. A guy like Lala or Vilar ought to know that it's better for him to get stronger so he can swing the bat instead of the bat swinging him.
I don’t disagree, but I remember reading your original post and thinking about the detrimental effect that might have had.

For whatever its worth the last two times we've beaten them in 09 and 14 we missed Omaha and the our only Omaha team to beat them in a series with Sullivan as their coach was the 08 team his first year at Florida. Our last two Omaha teams lost the Florida series. Very strange stat if nothing else

Advertisement
Only thing I can hope to take (of course with a face saving win on Sunday) is that this resettles the team that they need to keep working and getting better....

Seasons not shot but If you want to do some big things later in the season you need to reach a new level

We didn't make the plays to win.both games we had the chance that's all you can ask for.instead of blaming everything why can't this fan base say good try guys get em next time.it's a long season our team needs the fans to show some appreciation.

I get that it’s a pitch here or there but it’s the bigger picture that makes this really frustrating. At some point that pitch or that hit has to happen
Yes. The team and the fans are making much bigger than what it is. This is why mistakes are made throughout the game. There was too much emotion. That works for football, but not baseball. It doesn't help you field better, hit better, or pitch better. It actually has the opposite effect which makes it harder to win.

If the team cared less about the opponent, they'd play better. That's extremely hard to do against an instat
You are right. We have found out about ourselves against a quality opponent.
Yah. 2 extra inning games against a. Top 5 program. Could have gone our way both games ,but it didn't. Time to move on and salvage game 3 Sunday. Florida isn't going to feel sorry for us. They're going to try to put their cleats on our necks.

The season is less than 2 weeks old and everyone is acting like the sky is falling.

Let's get to Omaha and seek our revenge there.. A rematch for the title would be epic.

Advertisement
Our starting pitching was excellent Friday and Saturday. Our bats sans Del Castillo and our bullpen let us down. It sucks. I hate UF

Advertisement
Yes. The team and the fans are making much bigger than what it is. This is why mistakes are made throughout the game. There was too much emotion. That works for football, but not baseball. It doesn't help you field better, hit better, or pitch better. It actually has the opposite effect which makes it harder to win.

If the team cared less about the opponent, they'd play better. That's extremely hard to do against an instat

Yah. 2 extra inning games against a. Top 5 program. Could have gone our way both games ,but it didn't. Time to move on and salvage game 3 Sunday. Florida isn't going to feel sorry for us. They're going to try to put their cleats on our necks.

The season is less than 2 weeks old and everyone is acting like the sky is falling.

Let's get to Omaha and seek our revenge there.. A rematch for the title would be epic.

If caring less about the opponent makes you play better, then UF clearly couldn't care any less when they play us.

We didn't make the plays to win.both games we had the chance that's all you can ask for.instead of blaming everything why can't this fan base say good try guys get em next time.it's a long season our team needs the fans to show some appreciation.

Because we never "get them next time."

Advertisement
All this whining needs to stop. We were 1 pitch away from a win and all this nonsense calling for Gino's head would have been praised. This is just the rub of the game and doesn't define the season.

The reason that UF and UM play this game so early in the season is to find out about themselves against a quality apponent.

A national championship isn't won or lost in February.

What we found out about ourselves is we don't have a closer, against top tier pitching the lineup has many holes, and the defense and base running (per usual) are atrocious.

If caring less about the opponent makes you play better, then UF clearly couldn't care any less when they play us.
The thing is that because UM has lost to them so much, everyone wants it really bad and tries too hard to win. So, the players and fans put way too much pressure on the situation. The players need to play freely.

When I played college baseball back in the day, our coach did a mock infield warmup against our conference rival. He didn't tell us he was going to do it. He pretended to hit invisible groundballs to each infielder. We pretended to field them and throw the ball. Pretended to throw the ball around the horn. At first, it was embarrassing. But, then everyone just had a good laugh about it. Our team played its best game of the season scoring double didn't runs. I had my best game as I hit for the cycle going 4/4. That silly mock warmup freed up our team to play loose and carefree. That's how Miami needs to play.

What we found out about ourselves is we don't have a closer, against top tier pitching the lineup has many holes, and the defense and base running (per usual) are atrocious.
A lot of what you said is true. They might want to try Keiser as the closer, but I doubt Gino wants to break Federman's already fragile confidence.

We also found out that the pitching is way ahead of the offense which is to be expected.

UM just played what will now be the #1 team in the nation. They know where they need to improve.

Without Zamora our defense is much less athletic. Gil and Toral have limited range at the corners. Villar is playing out of position, so expect a few more errors and less range than Zamora.

What we learned is that this team must hit well to make up for the defense that is going to give up a run or two because of an error or limited range.

We also learned that our starting pitching is elite.

Federman has good stuff. He is issue is that he gets too emotional and loses control of his pitches. When he had that 0-2 and 1-2 count in the top of the 9th with 2 outs, he lost control. Del Castillo was set up inside and outside, but Federman's pitches started running over the middle of the plate. If he can't correct it, then I think Keiser becomes the closer.

This team has to improve on defense, bring the bats every night, and finish out games both offensively and defensively.

Our pitching is going to keep us in a lot of games. The bats and fielding will determine how far we go.

The thing that drives me crazy is our guys watching a right down the middle pitch for strike two and then either watching strike three or being forced to swing at a pitchers pitch for strike three. It's just not good batting. It's like they've made up their mind they aren't gonna swing before the ball is even thrown. I just can't stand watching good pitches and then swinging at crap because you had to.

Advertisement
Back