Miami on Miami Crime: put future opponents on notice

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
Yes, we should be able to run on Miami of Ohio and win this matchup.

Yes, we should be able to control the game with our OL and control TOP.

Yes, TVD's finger is supposedly healing and we really need him the following week, so limiting his exposure would seem sensical.

Yes, we have a critical game the following week and TAMU might "see" some of what we have, so perhaps consider "saving it."

No, I don't think we should do most of that. Please hear me out.

While I am *not* saying we should spend the entire game slinging the ball around and TVD taking 7-step drops from under center, I *am* saying we absolutely need to challenge teams vertically this season. For many, many reasons - some even beyond Ws and Ls.

To do that effectively, it usually requires some timing and rhythm in the deep passing game. Throw the ball downfield early and often. Last year, we saw almost immediate struggle and glimpses of what was to come. I agree we could and should save a few wrinkles for TAMU. Those are wrinkles; not concepts.

I hope we put TAMU and others on notice: we can and will stretch the field vertically this year. I believe it'll help the team and the running game, to boot.

Advertisement

Yes, TVD's finger is supposedly healing and we really need him the following week, so limiting his exposure would seem sensical.

Yes, we have a critical game the following week and TAMU might "see" some of what we have, so perhaps consider "saving it."

While I am *not* saying we should spend the entire game slinging the ball around and TVD taking 7-step drops from under center, I *am* saying we absolutely need to challenge teams vertically this season. For many, many reasons - some even beyond Ws and Ls.

To do that effectively, it usually requires some timing and rhythm in the deep passing game. Throw the ball downfield early and often. Last year, we saw almost immediate struggle and glimpses of what was to come. I agree we could and should save a few wrinkles for TAMU. Those are wrinkles; not concepts.

I hope we put TAMU and others on notice: we can and will stretch the field vertically this year. I believe it'll help the team and the running game, to boot.
Run the ball a lot. Quick passes. Playaction vertical passes. That'd be my gameplan.

This isn’t the 2001 team. We can’t save anything for other games, because we don’t have anything to save. We’re not anywhere near being there yet.

With that in mind, other than holding back a few wrinkles, it would make no sense for the coaching staff to save anything for ATM, and I would bet big money that they feel the same way. I’m sure they’re hoping for a huge lead and then pull the starters, but whether we are “that team” yet or not remains to be seen.

Advertisement

Miami should be able to keep it vanilla as **** on offense, and still win by 21+ on Friday. Hoping for Mario ball to be in full effect by the 3rd Q and we just run the ball 40+ on them.

I'd rather open things up vs ATM instead of Ohio.

if you hold things back, odds are the game will be closer than it needs to be.

don't empty the clip, but get the passing game in a rhythm. it's harder to get the passing game going than the running game. get TVD comfortable with multiple WRs, and take shots vertically when the situation presents itself.

late in the game, we can lean on the run and run them out of the stadium.

Just be who we are. Not even certain we know what that is yet. Game play is where we find out. Play to win the game. This is an extremely important game for our program.

Advertisement
If Dawson simply runs his base offense, you'll see us stretch the field vertically from the outset. From my various dives into film, his passing scheme looks high to low, with some designated screens and sideline passes thrown in. But Dawson's passing game seems to run through the deep post.

Run the ball a lot. Quick passes. Playaction vertical passes. That'd be my gameplan.
Yeah we have to establish the deep threat

If we can get someone to become a threat vertically (Colbie, Harrell, RayRay etc) I expect to see X do some damage underneath. I think that’s @LuCane point with what he’s saying. Forget trying to trick them thinking we have no deep threat, we need to give them something to think about ahead of time

Last year defenses didn’t need to bother. I think Mallory may have been our most dangerous vertical threat (joking but maybe not)

We will have to show we can beat A&M, FSU, Clemson deep

I want to see some aggressive ****

Advertisement
Yeah we have to establish the deep threat

If we can get someone to become a threat vertically (Colbie, Harrell, RayRay etc) I expect to see X do some damage underneath. I think that’s @LuCane point with what he’s saying. Forget trying to trick them thinking we have no deep threat, we need to give them something to think about ahead of time

Last year defenses didn’t need to bother. I think Mallory may have been our most dangerous vertical threat (joking but maybe not)

We will have to show we can beat A&M, FSU, Clemson deep

I want to see some aggressive ****
And we need to be good at it. Show it. Do it. Then do it again. Harrell should be on Friday's film running minimum 10-12 vertical routes out of his presumed less than 20 snaps. Get Ray Ray or Smith in the slot and send them down the hash mark with a "hey, TAMU" sign on their backs.

And we need to be good at it. Show it. Do it. Then do it again. Harrell should be on Friday's film running minimum 10-12 vertical routes out of his presumed less than 20 snaps. Get Ray Ray or Smith in the slot and send them down the hash mark with a "hey, TAMU" sign on their backs.
Travis Benjamin had 29 catches for 500 yards and 4 touchdowns as a sophomore

I’d like to see something similar from Harrell this year

Advertisement
We talked about this yesterday a bit @skyman

There’s nothing to save. It’s almost an entirely new team. Guys need to step up and assume roles for the rest of the season
Yea "air raid" guys light up scoreboards and are aggressive EVERYTIME they step on field.. In Dawson recent interview he talked about first thing putting a certain MINDSET in these guys, if you hear the WR talk now you hear them talk about going vertical. Before that you go watch spring clips and Coach Beard was emphasizing WE ARE GOING VERTICAL.. Now the true belief starts in THESE types of games so we can perform in bigger games. Most guys with air raid dna keep relatively simple playbooks, might carry 25 plays into a game. They dont care to "save the playbook" because next week will be a new defense where they will have to scheme up new gameplan..

With regards to ohio, they bring back alot on defense, I think 9 returning starters and they were solid last year on defense (Their O sucked because their QB went down, we might know something about that). It should be a good challenge for the offense to see how we fair against a veteran defense, and they arent undersized either upfront. They gave up 22.6 points a game (35 nationally), they were 61th on yards a game and 55th yards per play. They were worse than us against the pass. They caused turnovers tho, think they were top 10 in turnover margin, every game I skimmed thru they forced a fumble. they avg a fumble a game. Their QB was solid in '21, gabbert kid was 26-6 td-int ratio and he will take off and run if he doesnt see what he likes. I hope they gear up to stop the run, TVD will light them up.. Expect to see us cook, anything less would be uncivilized.

Agreed, reps and practice are more meaningful than saving plays

Here’s to hoping we run it up and the backups get burn in 2H….. like the old days

Advertisement
Back