Miami on Miami Crime: put future opponents on notice

Advertisement
They sucked with Gabbert at QB too. I said it earlier, he's better than the backup but that doesn't mean he's good.

Yes, we should be able to run on Miami of Ohio and win this matchup.

Yes, we should be able to control the game with our OL and control TOP.

Yes, TVD's finger is supposedly healing and we really need him the following week, so limiting his exposure would seem sensical.

Yes, we have a critical game the following week and TAMU might "see" some of what we have, so perhaps consider "saving it."

No, I don't think we should do most of that. Please hear me out.

While I am *not* saying we should spend the entire game slinging the ball around and TVD taking 7-step drops from under center, I *am* saying we absolutely need to challenge teams vertically this season. For many, many reasons - some even beyond Ws and Ls.

To do that effectively, it usually requires some timing and rhythm in the deep passing game. Throw the ball downfield early and often. Last year, we saw almost immediate struggle and glimpses of what was to come. I agree we could and should save a few wrinkles for TAMU. Those are wrinkles; not concepts.

I hope we put TAMU and others on notice: we can and will stretch the field vertically this year. I believe it'll help the team and the running game, to boot.

Sir, I believe you are forgetting UMs long established strategery of h[BGCOLOR=initial]iding the full playbook until the last 1/3 of the season.[/BGCOLOR]

This isn’t the 2001 team. We can’t save anything for other games, because we don’t have anything to save. We’re not anywhere near being there yet.

With that in mind, other than holding back a few wrinkles, it would make no sense for the coaching staff to save anything for ATM, and I would bet big money that they feel the same way. I’m sure they’re hoping for a huge lead and then pull the starters, but whether we are “that team” yet or not remains to be seen.
Absolutely correct. Not to mention we need confidence going forward. Beating a team, any team, badly creates confidence. And if we have leaders it creates real confidence, not fake confidence from beating Central Connecticut State or whomever that was last season.

Yes, we should be able to run on Miami of Ohio and win this matchup.

Yes, we should be able to control the game with our OL and control TOP.

Yes, TVD's finger is supposedly healing and we really need him the following week, so limiting his exposure would seem sensical.

Yes, we have a critical game the following week and TAMU might "see" some of what we have, so perhaps consider "saving it."

No, I don't think we should do most of that. Please hear me out.

While I am *not* saying we should spend the entire game slinging the ball around and TVD taking 7-step drops from under center, I *am* saying we absolutely need to challenge teams vertically this season. For many, many reasons - some even beyond Ws and Ls.

To do that effectively, it usually requires some timing and rhythm in the deep passing game. Throw the ball downfield early and often. Last year, we saw almost immediate struggle and glimpses of what was to come. I agree we could and should save a few wrinkles for TAMU. Those are wrinkles; not concepts.

I hope we put TAMU and others on notice: we can and will stretch the field vertically this year. I believe it'll help the team and the running game, to boot.
Sir, this is a Dairy Queen. Did you want sprinkles?

With that said, ton of pressure on Miami (FL) in all phases of game.

The OL better DOMINATE.

TVD better be ACCURATE.

WRs better CATCH.

Defense better STOP the run.

Defense better PREVENT long pass plays.

Big Manny better not call a time out 3 mins into 1Q or 3Q

Advertisement
Absolutely correct. Not to mention we need confidence going forward. Beating a team, any team, badly creates confidence. And if we have leaders it creates real confidence, not fake confidence from beating Central Connecticut State or whomever that was last season.
As wrong as it might sound, I want to see how the team responds to adversity. Too many times we’ve come out looking strong only to have something go wrong, as happens in almost every game, and the team withered. May have to save this for Texas A&M.

As wrong as it might sound, I want to see how the team responds to adversity. Too many times we’ve come out looking strong only to have something go wrong, as happens in almost every game, and the team withered. May have to save this for Texas A&M.
I can understand. The 60-0 blowouts really don’t do much because half-way thru the 1st quarter everyone realizes the game is a joke. But I’d like to see us win by 20-30 points. Miami of Ohio should be reasonable competition. Not great, but at least a reasonable tune up.

My last point on this..This also isnt a "Just win, baby" game for me either. Barely beating these guys is not a good sign at all for whats to come. Im not saying we need to beat them 63-0. But it needs to be seen that these guys are not in the same league as us. That the "MTSU loss" days are over at UM. We are AT LEAST at the point where we will soundly beat teams that we have more talent then and that will be a non-issue moving forward for this program. That is absolutely a step in the right direction in my eyes.

Advertisement
Got to blow the **** brakes off a team like Oxford (OH) Redhawks. Not the kind of performances we had versus Toledo.

Returning 122th ranked offense (117th in YPP) and 61st ranked defense (55th in YPP)? We should be finding blown out tires on the turnpike after we drive home Friday night with what happens to these jabrones.

BoxingRobes on the Palmetto

mario kart GIF

Advertisement
Scared money don't make money. We "HID" (sarcasm) the playbook last year and it looked like we didn't practice offense. This whole concept was created by cowards. If we run a vanilla offense tomorrow im convinced nothing has changed and we will be 7-5.

Last edited:
Scared money don't make money. We "hid" the playbook last year and it looked like we didn't practice offense. This whole concept was created by cowards. If we run a vanilla offense tomorrow im convinced nothing has changed and we will be 7-5.

You listened to CIS, who told you we hid the playbook. We didn’t hide anything. We ran a flea flicker against Southern Miss. That was our playbook. It was just awful, and dreadfully executed by kids who weren’t very good. You’ll see the offense tomorrow night, for better or worse. Will there be wrinkles we run against A&M that we don’t show tomorrow? Of course. But Dawson isn’t gonna run 5 plays over and over. He wants to showcase what he can do, he wants to showcase what the kids can do, and he understands the only way you get better is live reps. He’ll be in several different formations last night and run a bunch of different plays out of them.

Advertisement
You listened to CIS, who told you we hid the playbook. We didn’t hide anything. We ran a flea flicker against Southern Miss. That was our playbook. It was just awful, and dreadfully executed by kids who weren’t very good. You’ll see the offense tomorrow night, for better or worse. Will there be wrinkles we run against A&M that we don’t show tomorrow? Of course. But Dawson isn’t gonna run 5 plays over and over. He wants to showcase what he can do, he wants to showcase what the kids can do, and he understands the only way you get better is live reps. He’ll be in several different formations last night and run a bunch of different plays out of them.

I love the narrative (not your narrative) of hiding the playbook with no context. Lets be honest. Our offenses have just sucked.

People saying "I know what to expect" when we have 41 new players and new coordinators should not be listened to ever. Excited to simply be a fan tomorrow and go into the stadium with ZERO expectations. No stress at all. Show me time......

That was supposed to be sarcasm aimed at CIS. We didn't hide anything because their was nothing else. Offense is about rhythm and setting up the defense. I'm looking to be the predator not the prey. We've been perennial sheep looking to hang on and sneak out wins vs going in and dominating.

I love the narrative (not your narrative) of hiding the playbook with no context. Lets be honest. Our offenses have just sucked.

People saying "I know what to expect" when we have 41 new players and new coordinators should not be listened to ever. Excited to simply be a fan tomorrow and go into the stadium with ZERO expectations. No stress at all. Show me time......
Thats the point tho, when people called out that the offense sucked, the rebuttal was always they probably open up the playbook when they play ***.. Its a cope that became a meme.. Its hilarious.. and its not even from last season its like something built into bro style philosophy at this point..

Thats the point tho, when people called out that the offense sucked, the rebuttal was always they probably open up the playbook when they play ***.. Its a cope that became a meme.. Its hilarious.. and its not even from last season its like something built into bro style philosophy at this point..
Yep

I will say this...it might be boring but if we run right at teams and they have no response. It is what it is.

"Taking Souls" - David Goggins

Advertisement
Back