Miami on Miami Crime: put future opponents on notice

Yes, we should be able to run on Miami of Ohio and win this matchup.

Yes, we should be able to control the game with our OL and control TOP.

Yes, TVD's finger is supposedly healing and we really need him the following week, so limiting his exposure would seem sensical.

Yes, we have a critical game the following week and TAMU might "see" some of what we have, so perhaps consider "saving it."

No, I don't think we should do most of that. Please hear me out.

While I am *not* saying we should spend the entire game slinging the ball around and TVD taking 7-step drops from under center, I *am* saying we absolutely need to challenge teams vertically this season. For many, many reasons - some even beyond Ws and Ls.

To do that effectively, it usually requires some timing and rhythm in the deep passing game. Throw the ball downfield early and often. Last year, we saw almost immediate struggle and glimpses of what was to come. I agree we could and should save a few wrinkles for TAMU. Those are wrinkles; not concepts.

I hope we put TAMU and others on notice: we can and will stretch the field vertically this year. I believe it'll help the team and the running game, to boot.
Yeah, I’m still waiting for Manny to open up the playbook.

Advertisement
Scared money don't make money. We "hid" the playbook last year and it looked like we didn't practice offense. This whole concept was created by cowards. If we run a vanilla offense tomorrow im convinced nothing has changed and we will be 7-5.

Au contraire, we didn’t hide the playbook last year, that was the playbook last year.

My response was in the same vein, unless you think I go around saying “au contraire” when I’m being serious.
Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

Advertisement
Keep it simple early, get the offense in a rhythm and then let it rip. Run the score up and dominate for 60 mf minutes. All gas, no brakes. It’s about sending a message to our own team as much as sending a message to everybody else and these recruits.

I can understand. The 60-0 blowouts really don’t do much because half-way thru the 1st quarter everyone realizes the game is a joke. But I’d like to see us win by 20-30 points. Miami of Ohio should be reasonable competition. Not great, but at least a reasonable tune up.
Oh, I agree. And I would like to see the Canes win by 4-5 touchdowns. I just wouldn’t mind Miami of Ohio making a few plays early and see how the Canes respond.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The mission was mostly accomplished on the scoreboard, and yet I keep thinking about this post.

Unfortunately I don’t think Dawson “held back” as a gamesmanship strategy. I think he ran what he felt gave us the best chance of winning and protecting and moving the ball. And that does worry me a bit because we are unlikely to simply be able to impose our will against the better teams on our schedule.

The mission was mostly accomplished on the scoreboard, and yet I keep thinking about this post.

Unfortunately I don’t think Dawson “held back” as a gamesmanship strategy. I think he ran what he felt gave us the best chance of winning and protecting and moving the ball. And that does worry me a bit because we are unlikely to simply be able to impose our will against the better teams on our schedule.
You nailed it - We aren’t good enough to “open up the playbook” against good teams. Last night was a wasted opportunity to get reps against a live opponent, unless this is just the offense we’ll be running.

Lol we put up 500 yards of offense. Win the game going away. Tyler had 5 seconds in the pocket at times and people are crying.

Good lord

Next week is the season but jesus this site is hilarious.

winning football is taking advantage of what a defense gives you. We've had decades of coordinators trying to impose their will and scheme instead of what we saw last night. Critical thinking is the most important component to calling a game. Doing what makes sense = winning

Advertisement

The only thing I’ll note is that they (Miami, OH) decided to play their Safeties back, their CBs 12 miles off the line, and their boxes extremely light. They essentially told Dawson to run it.

My response to a few who asked after the game was that we still missed a few opportunities to practice situations. For example, 4th and 8 from the 41: sure, great, our defense was playing well and we pinned them. But, we’ll be in some critical 3rd and 8 type scenarios against TAMU. And, we’ll need to throw the ball vertically.

All in all, we may have this stuff in our bag, but we didn’t see it last night.

Naw he held back. Last night was about as simple as you can get. I put money on it. We use more tight ends next week. That was basic play calling. Establish the run n go from there. Short to intermediate throws to get tvd to going. Some of you all are ridiculous on this board. My lawd it was only the first game. Let's wait n see. Next week will tell me something. My money is on Miami n them young cats he brought in. They look hungry. That's all I heard all night is freshmen here freshmen there. I don't know about you guys. But I love hearing it. So your analysis is dead wrong

The only thing I’ll note is that they (Miami, OH) decided to play their Safeties back, their CBs 12 miles off the line, and their boxes extremely light. They essentially told Dawson to run it.

My response to a few who asked after the game was that we still missed a few opportunities to practice situations. For example, 4th and 8 from the 41: sure, great, our defense was playing well and we pinned them. But, we’ll be in some critical 3rd and 8 type scenarios against TAMU. And, we’ll need to throw the ball vertically.

All in all, we may have this stuff in our bag, but we didn’t see it last night.

We did what we should do against an overmatched, but not awful, team. That is something we haven’t seen a lot of recently.

I get and said that Dawson ran what he thought gave us the best chance to win… But I don’t know how last night’s game can make anyone feel good or confident about our downfield passing attack.

Like you said in your original post I don’t think it’s a switch that can just be flipped on command… and last night didn’t do too much to build chemistry, confidence, timing, etc…

Advertisement
We did what we should do against an overmatched, but not awful, team. That is something we haven’t seen a lot of recently.

I get and said that Dawson ran what he thought gave us the best chance to win… But I don’t know how last night’s game can make anyone feel good or confident about our downfield passing attack.

Like you said in your original post I don’t think it’s a switch that can just be flipped on command… and last night didn’t do too much to build chemistry, confidence, timing, etc…
I would have at least liked to us win some 50/50 balls downfield just to instill tvd with a little confidence in his receivers. We will have to go have a downfield passing game to beat A&M.

our vertical passing game is something i am concerned about. Last night has not allayed those concerns but i am feeling good about so many other aspects of our team on both sides of the ball and in our staff and entire program.

This isn’t the 2001 team. We can’t save anything for other games, because we don’t have anything to save. We’re not anywhere near being there yet.

With that in mind, other than holding back a few wrinkles, it would make no sense for the coaching staff to save anything for ATM, and I would bet big money that they feel the same way. I’m sure they’re hoping for a huge lead and then pull the starters, but whether we are “that team” yet or not remains to be seen.

This.

The concept of “saving the playbook for next week’s opponent” is irrelevant with the teams we’ve fielded. We aren’t good enough (yet) to do that. If we want to challenge teams vertically, I’d like to see us execute us against lesser teams to get some real game reps rather than “save them” for an opponent.

I don’t think our gameplan will be very different against ATM, tbh. We are what we are and that’s a team that wants to dominate the LOS, employ the TE in the passing game and get the ball to our playmakers in space. Deep passes hwre and there are part of it, sure, but what you saw last night - I’d wager - is what you’re going to see most of the season.

Advertisement
Back