JUCO 2024 Miami Offers 6'5 JUCO WR Leland Smith

I think one of the insiders here stated he was offered 375k but asked for 500k. I imagine that’s way more than JUCO transfer minimum.
I heard on Caneville that they didn’t negotiate with him, they just showed him the door….. Even if he asked for 500k, we see that as a lot of money. Compare it to Jordan Addison the Wr that went to USC from Pitt a few years back, it was reported he got like 1.2mil. He was Dawg! How much do you think we are going to pay for Colby Young replacement in the portal that we don’t even know, to play with our Prize Qb?

Advertisement
I heard on Caneville that they didn’t negotiate with him, they just showed him the door….. Even if he asked for 500k, we see that as a lot of money. Compare it to Jordan Addison the Wr that went to USC from Pitt a few years back, it was reported he got like 1.2mil. He was Dawg! How much do you think we are going to pay for Colby Young replacement in the portal that we don’t even know, to play with our Prize Qb?
Addison was and is legit. Ask NFL DBs.

Colbie though underutilized by our QB/OC left a bit to be desired with work ethic/route running.

He didn’t get more than offered here and will catch a Lott less balls in that UGA offense. Bet!

Yeah, thanks. Unfortunate injury, but not sure how anyone can say Golden somehow screwed him.
Golden screwed him for his own personal gain. 2014 offense was loaded and Williams would’ve performed better, Golden knew if he started Williams and we weren’t good he would’ve got canned, so he went with true freshman to use as a scapegoat, the ole “yes we weren’t good but look at the future” got fired next year anyway.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Golden screwed him for his own personal gain. 2014 offense was loaded and Williams would’ve performed better, Golden knew if he started Williams and we weren’t good he would’ve got canned, so he went with true freshman to use as a scapegoat, the ole “yes we weren’t good but look at the future” got fired next year anyway.
If so…how short sighted ! Going 6-7 in 2014 with Kayaa versus 8 or 9 wins with Williams could have made a huge difference in recruiting and his long term tenure.

If so…how short sighted ! Going 6-7 in 2014 with Kayaa versus 8 or 9 wins with Williams could have made a huge difference in recruiting and his long term tenure.
Eh not so sure, think 8 wins with Williams and he’s canned. James didn’t hire him so there was no investment there. Golden rolled out the true freshman with a better option on the bench in order to lobby him as the future. It worked he got an extra season, just turned out Kaaya just wasn’t that guy & he couldn’t fix all the blunders elsewhere.

Not surprised they moved on. I believe this offer went out before Ward u-turned back and signed with us. Have to land an established WR1 in the spring cycle.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Addison was and is legit. Ask NFL DBs.

Colbie though underutilized by our QB/OC left a bit to be desired with work ethic/route running.

He didn’t get more than offered here and will catch a Lott less balls in that UGA offense. Bet!
Addison is ABSOLUTELY a DOG!

I don’t think Colbie has to catch 80 passes at UGA, which he wasn’t going to catch here anyway. He probably wouldn’t have caught 60 next season. If he catches 35-40 balls in that offense he will be okay. Pickens didn’t catch a lot of passes and was a second round pick a few years ago. A good player to watch this draft is Marcus Rosemy, he didn’t catch a lot of passes either this year. All he has to do is make plays when his number is called, they are the favorite to win it next year, all eyes will be on UGA.

Either way there is still Value in continuity and it would have been nice to see Colbie in year three in the program. He did make strides in his development during his time here, their is no reason to believe that wouldn’t have continued. Now we’re talking about a guy we developed on another 6’5 JUCO hopeful thread when we just bought in a potential program changing Qb…..

That's probably true in many cases, but there is also the "I got beat out by another player for starter reps so I'm leaving" discount bargain shopping.
With all of the coaching changes we have to hope a legit WR is just really displeased with their new coach/WR coach and knows targets/touches is going to drop off.

Are there any Michigan/Alabama/Washington WRs who were legit and didn’t already portal?

Addison is ABSOLUTELY a DOG!

I don’t think Colbie has to catch 80 passes at UGA, which he wasn’t going to catch here anyway. He probably wouldn’t have caught 60 next season. If he catches 35-40 balls in that offense he will be okay. Pickens didn’t catch a lot of passes and was a second round pick a few years ago. A good player to watch this draft is Marcus Rosemy, he didn’t catch a lot of passes either this year. All he has to do is make plays when his number is called, they are the favorite to win it next year, all eyes will be on UGA.

Either way there is still Value in continuity and it would have been nice to see Colbie in year three in the program. He did make strides in his development during his time here, their is no reason to believe that wouldn’t have continued. Now we’re talking about a guy we developed on another 6’5 JUCO hopeful thread when we just bought in a potential program changing Qb…..
Trust me I would have preferred to keep Colbie than be on the position we are at now. I just don’t think you can succumb to a WR making public financial demands.

Then it will be a habit every year for players. That all needs to be kept in house and negotiations should be beneficial to both parties. I think paying Colbie that with public knowledge you’re now alerting your WR room that your #3 WR is now your highest paid WR (I’m not including any of the new recruits. Not sure what they received, but it’s the reason players are advised to keep NIL private). And that not only doesn’t sit well with your #1 and #2 WR but it gives them reason to request a renegotiation but every single other player.

Advertisement
Back