MIAMI MONEY

Not really. The money people I know or have connections with are unhappy. I’m not hearing spin defending Manny like I did with Golden. But nothing specific.

Well that’s a good start. Will you please ask, beg, and make any promise you need to to get them to pony up for Urban so we can really turn this thing around? Only about 10% kidding.

Advertisement
According to this article, Alabama spends 2x what Miami spends on football, 56 mm to 28 mm. And to be sure, the cost of living index in Miami is far higher than Tuscaloosa, so the effective differential is far higher.

The link has UM at 25 in spending, which you could interpret as solid enough. Clearly we’ve underperformed, no argument. But our 25 in So Fla relative to most of these programs means we’re really lower than that. Most college towns have a lower cost of living than Miami. Just as an example, a quick web search shows the media home price in Miami as 75% higher than Tuscaloosa (~330K vs. ~189K).

Also, those numbers do not include facilities, they don’t include payments to coaches from media, and they don’t include the cost/benefit of having a big student body with talented athletes who can walk on.

Do you have those numbers? A vague reference to “program investments” isn’t a fact. And, importantly, how do we compare to the rest of the ACC?

We’ve invested in football. I heard from a source with direct knowledge that the mandate came from the top after the 2015 Clemson game. Richt was expensive as were several of his assistants. We just hired Enos, who commanded a big salary and attracted well-documented interest from the elite programs. Picking wrong is different than being cheap.

Our facilities have undergone a transformation since the dark days of the mid-2000s. The IPF is just one example.

It reminds me of the Shannon era. I’ve heard Shannon defenders (not you) talk about how Shannon wasn’t “given the resources” to hire the right assistants. It turns out the majority of his staff went on to the NFL and he’s still a pariah.

Sometimes it’s as easy as picking the wrong guys. Alabama picked four losers before Saban. I’m sure they cared about football that whole time. Clemson and LSU floundered for years. It just takes one good pick to turn it around. Unfortunately, Manny doesn’t look like that guy.
I’m not sure what the dispute here is. I posted a link above about spending. Conclude what you want to I guess. We clearly have not gotten our money‘s worth from hires the past 20 years. No disagreement there.

But your approach has seemingly been to try to reduce things to one variable and then be optimistic we can get it right. Players great, it’s all coaching. Bad hires bad luck eventually we’ll get the right guy. Richt made 4 mm so resources arent an issue.

I have been talking about recruiting evals and overall roster talent since 2002, or thereabouts. Since Coker offered Dave Howell, iirc. So maybe I am a broken record on this. When folks said it’s X cosch sucks we need a new hero, I have consistently responded, ‘it’s both coaching and talent.’ And yes, in this new era, resources are an issue also. It doesn’t really matter that we’ve upgraded our facilities, because none of the kids we recruit saw the old ones. What matters is what we offer relative to their alternatives. All these summer visits to Clemson, Alabama and other places, they sure are eye opening. I pointed out Manny was a mediocre or worse recruiter well before Richt quit, and it doesn’t look like anything magically changed.

IMO one of the fundamental problems with this program is that those charged with making decisions about it are too invested in the myth of Miami exceptionalism. It’s caused distorted decision-making and unrealistic hype and expectations.

That link (which is from the Golden era and pre-Richt) is bizarre and not very instructive.

Virginia Tech over LSU? FSU is #2 even though we know they are under water and struggling to afford Willie’s buyout. Texas A&M is #22 despite being the richest football program in America and breaking records to sign Jimbo.

The only thing that makes sense is Alabama at #1, which did not prevent them from hiring four bad coaches before Saban.

Assuming OP is correct, there would be no incentive for a "name" coach to come to Miami.

Advertisement
Richt had us #2 in the country after two years. He was just at the end of his run.

You will defend Richt and the atrocious hiring until the end of time.

1. His run ended before he arrived at Miami.

2. The three years before Miami, he averaged 9 wins per season.

3. Nobody hangs a #2 in the season banner because you were randomly ranked with plenty of games left.

4. After we were ranked #2, we then went on to lose 3 straight games. All were by 10 or more points. We finished the season on a 3 game losing streak.

5. Mark Richt’s run, as previously stated, ended a long time ago.

Richt was well past his prime before he got here. UGA was sick of the sub-par results during his recent tenure. It wasn’t because he never accomplished anything, but because it was a long time since he actually accomplished something. They wanted more and Richt wasn’t getting it done.

Richt’s prime or his best years were 2001-2007.

In his last 3 years, he only averaged 9 wins. Which sucks.

Here is Mark's tenure in a nutshell:

The Great Years: 2001-2007 (7 Seasons)
- Wins: 72 or 10.3 Wins Per Season
- Conference Titles: 2
- BCS Games: 3

[Please note, Richt coached less games per season during the above era]

The Sub-Par Years: 2008-2015 (8 Seasons)
- Wins: 73 or 9.1 Wins Per Season
- Conference Titles: 0
- BCS Games: 0

How about Mark's record against relevant coaches/schools?

Against UF:

2001: Spurrier 0-1
2002-04: Zook 1-2
2005-10: Meyer 1-5
2011-15: Muschump 3-1

Against LSU:

2001-04: Saban 1-1 (Doesn't play against LSU in 2001 and 2002)
2005-15: Miles 3-2 (Doesn't play against LSU in 2006, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2014 and 2015)

Against Alabama:

2001-02: Franchione 1-0 (Doesn't play against Bama in 2001)
2003-06: Shula 1-0 (Doesn't play against Bama in 2004, 2005 and 2006)
2006-15: Saban 1-3 (Doesn't play against Bama in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014

That link (which is from the Golden era and pre-Richt) is bizarre and not very instructive.

Virginia Tech over LSU? FSU is #2 even though we know they are under water and struggling to afford Willie’s buyout. Texas A&M is #22 despite being the richest football program in America and breaking records to sign Jimbo.

The only thing that makes sense is Alabama at #1, which did not prevent them from hiring four bad coaches before Saban.
I found a link to a published story discussing it. I suspect it is directionally accurate. Not sure debating the details matters. If you think the big picture is fundamentally wrong, I’m all ears. Note that the official numbers obviously don’t include booster payments to players or recruits, either.

Moreover, you keep talking about Alabama’s bad hires before Saban. Saban has been there a long time. The economics of football are not what they were when we were last competitive. Nor is technology.

I get that you want the version of the story that leaves the possibility this is just one issue, and fixing it will be easy. I just don’t sgree.

Last edited:
Not really. The money people I know or have connections with are unhappy. I’m not hearing spin defending Manny like I did with Golden. But nothing specific.

i know we gave temple $4m, but do you have any sense as to what manny’s buyout is?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back