MIAMI MONEY

Advertisement
The problem is, after Richt did the Canes a favor and didn’t collect a buyout, this was the exact time Miami should have doubled down, invested big time on the next coach and staff.

They went cheap and you get what you pay for

Actually, they paid high for us. Anything but cheap with the budget we have.

I know one thing, i'm a shell of what I once was, and time waits for no man. This is a good thread, makes sense what OP said. I know everybody told me "wait till you hit 50" like it was some sorta pre determined downfall. Now at 55 I'm tired, no way would I have tje juice to coach even a high school team. Another wall street vibe, when you stop jerking off your pretty much done, I subscribe to that and still an every other day guy. There are always some that still have the juice though, at 50, 60, 70, I dont know how TF they do it either. Its kinda like me trying to show a kid how to scrape off tackle playing linebacker, I can tell you exactly how to do it but cant show you, too old. A good HC has to be a great deligater, realize he cant do it all or even a little, but puts somebody there that can push his agenda for him. If said guy cant get it done get another one, no hard feelings. It dont take 3 or 4 years to see if its gettin done either. The fire is either burning or its not, age doesn't matter as much as one may think. I know there are tons o Dem's on here, but this is exactly what Trump is so good at, be it right or wrong, that man gets **** done. If a guy aint doing his deal he's gone plain and simple. Manny needs to delicate, decide on a system and find the best possible person to implement it, both sides. I'm a big fan of what Dabo is doing, looks alot like The old U, but he has the horses to do it

Advertisement
There's a saying on Wall Street: NEVER throw good money after bad.

I don't know about you, but over the years I've blown a lot of money on the Miami Hurricanes. But for me, that stopped during the Richt years.

See.... despite what people say... Mark Richt was one of the best coaches in college football. His record at Georgia proves it. I know some people disagree, but numbers don't lie.

And I figured that if Mark Richt could not win here, then NOBODY can.

We were led to believe that Richt left because he became burned out. They say he walked away from his contract because he was such a nice guy. But... nah.

Richt left because he KNEW this team was trash. He knew these players better than anyone... he knew what was coming back this year. He didn't walk away from MILLIONS of dollars out of the goodness of his heart.... NOBODY does that. He did it to salvage his reputation.

He realized that he had made a losing bet by accepting the Miami job, he cut his losses, and he walked away from the table. That's what went down.

So in the end, what that tells me is that unless the BOT is changed, then this program can not be fixed.

This ship is lost at sea, and the wood is all rotting. And I ain't going down with the ship.

Miami is finished.

There is another Wall Street saying. Buy low, sell high. Les Miles was a penny stock because everyone assumed he would continue to believe in a ball control offense and wasn't going to adapt to modern football. He dispelled that myth last week with his change at OC. Since he is at Kansas, which is devoid of talent, a rejuvenated Miles with a high octane offense is going largely unnoticed.

That's the kind of stock you buy now while it is vastly undervalued. Miles is going to be back on top of the college football coaching wishlists soon.

Miami needs a splash hire with a name that has credibility. S Fl HS coaches will be falling over themselves trying to send players to Les Miles. No corny chains or jewel encrusted ****** for Les Miles.

Last edited:
There’s a reason Georgia fired Mark Richt, just saying. We looked the other way and put on rose colored glasses. Same with Manny, we hyped his strong attributes and ignored his glaring deficiencies. Diaz is learning on the job with the whole weight of the fan base looking over his shoulder. I thought it was a lazy hire and only wish things will turn around for him, the fan base and the U.

Mark Richt made an interesting remark about the kicking game. Because Miami is private/expensive with a small student body their walk-on program suffers. Big universities have larger pool students willing to join the team. Richt also said most schools had 5 to 6 kickers but that was not the case at Miami. For the most part we never notice until the scholarship guy f...s up.

There's a saying on Wall Street: NEVER throw good money after bad.

I don't know about you, but over the years I've blown a lot of money on the Miami Hurricanes. But for me, that stopped during the Richt years.

See.... despite what people say... Mark Richt was one of the best coaches in college football. His record at Georgia proves it. I know some people disagree, but numbers don't lie.

And I figured that if Mark Richt could not win here, then NOBODY can.

We were led to believe that Richt left because he became burned out. They say he walked away from his contract because he was such a nice guy. But... nah.

Richt left because he KNEW this team was trash. He knew these players better than anyone... he knew what was coming back this year. He didn't walk away from MILLIONS of dollars out of the goodness of his heart.... NOBODY does that. He did it to salvage his reputation.

He realized that he had made a losing bet by accepting the Miami job, he cut his losses, and he walked away from the table. That's what went down.

So in the end, what that tells me is that unless the BOT is changed, then this program can not be fixed.

This ship is lost at sea, and the wood is all rotting. And I ain't going down with the ship.

Miami is finished.
Lost lost me at Richt is a great coach. LMAO. you may be right that he quit because he knew he’d fail. But go figure. they’re his recruits.

Advertisement
Lol. STFU, you aren't on Wall Street and your posts in this thread are a mealy-mouthed hodge-podge of BS. But you aren't going down with the ship... yet here you still are. Goodbye?

Good to see people are finally starting to question this alleged " talent." We hear it every year in Miami, but for the past 17 years, the talent here has been what the record says it is. And coaches have come and gone as a result. OP might have it dead on.

We've been in the position to win every game this season. But the lack of talent ON THE FIELD has prevented that because they couldn't: kick a FG or PAT; be disciplined enough to not take stupid penalties; catch balls/punts; tackle; block; hit the open receivers; play smart football; play to the whistle.

Maybe 1/3 of our starters might possibly be considered above average, talented players. But try and plug them into the Top 10 Programs and see how many would start. Can't win consistently with that much of a discrepancy.

Here's an ephifany; Its broken, been so for a long time. True talent hasn't been coming here because true talent goes to programs that just win. One-half a conference title in 17 years - period.

Richt had us #2 in the country after two years. He was just at the end of his run. Hiring his son was late-period Paterno and Bowden stuff.

The fact that he earned a Top 11 salary tells me we can be competitive financially. Guys like Brown and Kul were also very expensive.
We went 0-3 after being elevated to #2. It was an overrating based on a fancy win at home against ND, and a relatively weak schedule up to that point. FSU was a good rivalry win but they were bad that year.

The reality is it’s a lot more than a HC salary that must be invested into a program in this era.

You are the most optimistic dude in the world but even you must be having some doubts at this point. This program is a train wreck dumpster fire sink hole.

We went 0-3 after being elevated to #2. It was an overrating based on a fancy win at home against ND, and a relatively weak schedule up to that point. FSU was a good rivalry win but they were bad that year.

The reality is it’s a lot more than a HC salary that must be invested into a program in this era.

You are the most optimistic dude in the world but even you must be having some doubts at this point. This program is a train wreck dumpster fire sink hole.

These are just facts. Richt got paid more here than he did at Georgia. Thomas Brown left his alma mater because we gave him a raise. Kul was the highest paid DL coach in the country or close to it.

We have money. Not the most, but enough. We are just picking the wrong guys.

Advertisement
These are just facts. Richt got paid more here than he did at Georgia. Thomas Brown left his alma mater because we gave him a raise. Kul was the highest paid DL coach in the country or close to it.

You often trot out the ‘just facts’ tag line when you’re trying to make an argument, and there are lots of other facts you choose not to bring up. I don’t think those ‘facts’ tell a relevant story regarding the state of this program or Richt’s capabilities as a HC.

In any case, you brought up Richt’s salary and I responded with a fact also, which is that there are lots of expenses associated with running a football program, so talking about Richt having been top 11 may be misleading. Same with your anecdotes about Brown and Kul.

But we agree we hire poorly. And we agree we have enough money to be less awful than we are.

If you want to talk resources, however, you really have to look at the whole picture. Program investments, expenses, budget, support, facilities. Not just a few anecdotes.

Obviously Richt and some coaches were paid well, but what was the overall spend on salaries for Football Staff/Coaches. That will tell the real story.

You often trot out the ‘just facts’ tag line when you’re trying to make an argument, and there are lots of other facts you choose not to bring up. I don’t think those ‘facts’ tell a relevant story regarding the state of this program or Richt’s capabilities as a HC.

In any case, you brought up Richt’s salary and I responded with a fact also, which is that there are lots of expenses associated with running a football program, so talking about Richt having been top 11 may be misleading. Same with your anecdotes about Brown and Kul.

But we agree we hire poorly. And we agree we have enough money to be less awful than we are.

If you want to talk resources, however, you really have to look at the whole picture. Program investments, expenses, budget, support, facilities. Not just a few anecdotes.

Do you have those numbers? A vague reference to “program investments” isn’t a fact. And, importantly, how do we compare to the rest of the ACC?

We’ve invested in football. I heard from a source with direct knowledge that the mandate came from the top after the 2015 Clemson game. Richt was expensive as were several of his assistants. We just hired Enos, who commanded a big salary and attracted well-documented interest from the elite programs. Picking wrong is different than being cheap.

Our facilities have undergone a transformation since the dark days of the mid-2000s. The IPF is just one example.

It reminds me of the Shannon era. I’ve heard Shannon defenders (not you) talk about how Shannon wasn’t “given the resources” to hire the right assistants. It turns out the majority of his staff went on to the NFL and he’s still a pariah.

Sometimes it’s as easy as picking the wrong guys. Alabama picked four losers before Saban. I’m sure they cared about football that whole time. Clemson and LSU floundered for years. It just takes one good pick to turn it around. Unfortunately, Manny doesn’t look like that guy.

Advertisement

Are you hearing anything internally at Miami? Any nuggets of info? I just can’t fathom us going into 2020 with the same coaching staff, and hopefully not the same head coach

I know one thing, i'm a shell of what I once was, and time waits for no man. This is a good thread, makes sense what OP said. I know everybody told me "wait till you hit 50" like it was some sorta pre determined downfall. Now at 55 I'm tired, no way would I have tje juice to coach even a high school team. Another wall street vibe, when you stop jerking off your pretty much done, I subscribe to that and still an every other day guy. There are always some that still have the juice though, at 50, 60, 70, I dont know how TF they do it either. Its kinda like me trying to show a kid how to scrape off tackle playing linebacker, I can tell you exactly how to do it but cant show you, too old. A good HC has to be a great deligater, realize he cant do it all or even a little, but puts somebody there that can push his agenda for him. If said guy cant get it done get another one, no hard feelings. It dont take 3 or 4 years to see if its gettin done either. The fire is either burning or its not, age doesn't matter as much as one may think. I know there are tons o Dem's on here, but this is exactly what Trump is so good at, be it right or wrong, that man gets **** done. If a guy aint doing his deal he's gone plain and simple. Manny needs to delicate, decide on a system and find the best possible person to implement it, both sides. I'm a big fan of what Dabo is doing, looks alot like The old U, but he has the horses to do it

Fvck off Boomer, No one wants to hear how often you jerk off you old weirdo.

Richt had us #2 in the country after two years. He was just at the end of his run. Hiring his son was late-period Paterno and Bowden stuff.

The fact that he earned a Top 11 salary tells me we can be competitive financially. Guys like Brown and Kul were also very expensive.
They basically paid 7m for diaz this year. 4m to temple and then 3 for his salary.

Are you hearing anything internally at Miami? Any nuggets of info? I just can’t fathom us going into 2020 with the same coaching staff, and hopefully not the same head coach

Not really. The money people I know or have connections with are unhappy. I’m not hearing spin defending Manny like I did with Golden. But nothing specific.

Advertisement
Back