MIAMI MONEY

RightSaidFred

Be cool, don’t be culo
There's a saying on Wall Street: NEVER throw good money after bad.

I don't know about you, but over the years I've blown a lot of money on the Miami Hurricanes. But for me, that stopped during the Richt years.

See.... despite what people say... Mark Richt was one of the best coaches in college football. His record at Georgia proves it. I know some people disagree, but numbers don't lie.

And I figured that if Mark Richt could not win here, then NOBODY can.

We were led to believe that Richt left because he became burned out. They say he walked away from his contract because he was such a nice guy. But... nah.

Richt left because he KNEW this team was trash. He knew these players better than anyone... he knew what was coming back this year. He didn't walk away from MILLIONS of dollars out of the goodness of his heart.... NOBODY does that. He did it to salvage his reputation.

He realized that he had made a losing bet by accepting the Miami job, he cut his losses, and he walked away from the table. That's what went down.

So in the end, what that tells me is that unless the BOT is changed, then this program can not be fixed.

This ship is lost at sea, and the wood is all rotting. And I ain't going down with the ship.

Miami is finished.

Advertisement
Nah, you just have to look at him on the ACC Network - he's much happier not coaching.

He was burned out during those final years at Georgia. He was rejuvenated during his first year at Miami, but the coaching grind got to him - you have to have boundless energy to handle SoFl recruiting (even Zach Smith thinks it's a shark tank) and Richt quickly worked out he didn't have that drive anymore.

Our location in SoFl is our only advantage, so we need a coach that can deal with the handlers, the front runners, the mercenaries etc down here.

Interesting take, but while it may have a shred of truth, he walked away because he was comfortable in himself and what he had done so far in life. He wasn't going to coach again after UGA, but his alma mater came calling and he answered the call. The rest is history as they say.

Interesting take, but while it may have a shred of truth, he walked away because he was comfortable in himself and what he had done so far in life. He wasn't going to coach again after UGA, but his alma mater came calling and he answered the call. The rest is history as they say.

There is another fact known among Wall Street's best - information is worth more than gold. And who had access to the best information about this team? The head coach - Mark Richt.

If we would have been looking at this like businessmen and not like fans, we would have seen the writing on the wall. Richt was acting on information he had that we didn't.

Richt was selling the house while everyone else was buying. And he was the true insider.

Advertisement
There is another fact known among Wall Street's best - information is worth more than gold. And who had access to the best information about this team? The head coach - Mark Richt.

If we would have been looking at this like businessmen and not like fans, we would have seen the writing on the wall. Richt was acting on information he had that we didn't.

Richt was selling the house while everyone else was buying. And he was the true insider.

Fair enough.

Like you said, he knew what he had and where he needed to go. He didn't want to invest the time or energy, can't really blame him. It was far more fun winning.

Wouldn't that seem to indicate that most of the people on here overestimate our talent level?

If that what makes you feel better. I said when richt was hired i didnt like it because he was burnt out. After uga fired him he didn't even know if he wanted to keep coaching then.

Fair enough.

Like you said, he knew what he had and where he needed to go. He didn't want to invest the time or energy, can't really blame him. It was far more fun winning.

Wouldn't that seem to indicate that most of the people on here overestimate our talent level?

On the one hand, our recruiting rankings have been among the highest in the ACC. On the other hand...well... here we are.

I think talent is a function of recruiting, development, and gameday preparation. And to have those things, you need a whole organization that supports that goal.

I'm just guessing, but maybe Richt didn't think he would ever get the kind of support from the Miami admin that is needed to win big time football. His recruiting rankings at Georgia were better than here. Players developed better at Georgia than here. I don't know why that is, but it would be interesting to know.

But to answer your question, yes, people on this site overestimate the **** out of our talent level. They overestimate the **** out of South Florida high school talent in general, and then they overestimate the **** out of the talent on our team.

We don't tackle well, we don't block well, we don't catch well. So what CAN our guys do well, run fast? Who cares. No, they aren't that talented.

Advertisement
Mark Richt was a good coach in an era when the SEC was a full back league. Urban Meyer essentially ended his time as a big dog in that league, and he never got any better than his first few years when the conference was trash.

He was never at the level of a Saban, Carroll, Meyer. He wasn’t even Les Miles or Brian Kelly or Chip Kelly.

And here’s the biggest key in all of this: coaches fade. When they get older they lose their edge slightly and they are no longer what they were. Happens to literally every coach, and it happened to Rick. He was a shell of his old self, which as we established was a very good but not elite coach in the first place.

I don't know about you, but over the years I've blown a lot of money on the Miami Hurricanes. But for me, that stopped during the Richt years.

See.... despite what people say... Mark Richt was one of the best coaches in college football. His record at Georgia proves it. I know some people disagree, but numbers don't lie.

We were led to believe that Richt left because he became burned out. They say he walked away from his contract because he was such a nice guy. But... nah.

Richt left because he KNEW this team was trash. He knew these players better than anyone... he knew what was coming back this year. He didn't walk away from MILLIONS of dollars out of the goodness of his heart.... NOBODY does that. He did it to salvage his reputation.

He realized that he had made a losing bet by accepting the Miami job, he cut his losses, and he walked away from the table. That's what went down.

So in the end, what that tells me is that unless the BOT is changed, then this program can not be fixed.

This ship is lost at sea, and the wood is all rotting. And I ain't going down with the ship.

Miami is finished.
The problem is, after Richt did the Canes a favor and didn’t collect a buyout, this was the exact time Miami should have doubled down, invested big time on the next coach and staff.

They went cheap and you get what you pay for

Nah, you just have to look at him on the ACC Network - he's much happier not coaching.

He was burned out during those final years at Georgia. He was rejuvenated during his first year at Miami, but the coaching grind got to him - you have to have boundless energy to handle SoFl recruiting (even Zach Smith thinks it's a shark tank) and Richt quickly worked out he didn't have that drive anymore.

Our location in SoFl is our only advantage, so we need a coach that can deal with the handlers, the front runners, the mercenaries etc down here.

Exactly.

Richt was ready to retire after Georgia. Then his alma mater called and he couldn't say no to the opportunity.

Got some things cleaned up behind the scenes for the program, helped with IPF and bowed out after year three as starting over in the coaching profession is a young man's work. Coming back for year for, revamping the offense, punting his kid / bringing on a new offensive guy—he didn't want to deal with all that change, so he called it a day.

After a decade at Florida State as offensive coordinator in their heyday and 15 years in SEC pressure cooker at Georgia—dude was glad to ride off into the sunset with his wife, his faith, his health and a lot of cash in the bank to go live out the rest of his years with family and doing missionary work. Good for him.

The only ones with such a miserable outlook on this program and the state of things are delusional fans who can't accept the 15 years of irrelevance and think Miami should be back, despite five different head coaches since the 2006 season.

Advertisement
The problem is, after Richt did the Canes a favor and didn’t collect a buyout, this was the exact time Miami should have doubled down, invested big time on the next coach and staff.

They went cheap and you get what you pay for

True.

You are so right.

Mark Richt was one of the best coaches in college football. His record at Georgia proves it. I know some people disagree, but numbers don't lie.

Thanks for making me laugh in another thread.

Advertisement

Miami is finished.
Interesting take but I think what really sealed the deal was realizing his son was an issue and he didn’t want to fire him nor did he want to return to a ceo type of hc

Interesting take but I think what really sealed the deal was realizing his son was an issue and he didn’t want to fire him nor did he want to return to a ceo type of hc

He could have kept his son employed. He just would have had to change to a non-coaching role.

When Richt left, he all but guaranteed that his son would be fired. And that happened.

He could have kept his son employed. He just would have had to change to a non-coaching role.

When Richt left, he all but guaranteed that his son would be fired. And that happened.
Yes but Richt didnt fire his son, manny did. Big difference from having to be the one and look your kid in the face and have to fire him

Advertisement
Back