Miami Looking to Make a “Silent Creep” on 2018 5 Star DB

View as article

David Perez

Recruit
Screen Shot 2017-02-21 at 12.15.05 PM.jpg

On the football field, 5 star defensive back Tyreke Johnson is violent.

“Aggressive with a lot of energy,” Johnson said. “I’m fast and physical and I’m a trash talker.”

After a junior campaign that earned Johnson an invite to the U.S. Army All-American Bowl, the 6’1” athlete is receiving plenty of college attention.

“UCLA, Georgia, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Florida, Oregon — those are the schools coming at me very hard,” Johnson said.

And although Miami is not on that list, Johnson says the ‘Canes are slowly getting involved.

“A little bit, they are trying to make a silent creep,” Johnson said. “But I’m just taking my recruiting one day at a time.”

Tyreke attends Trinity Christian High School, the same school Miami defensive tackle Kendrick Norton and defensive back Derrick Smith attended, and Johnson says the alumni have been in his ear.

“They tell me they love it,” Johnson said. “[They say] the coaches take care of them, the city is wonderful and they tell me there is a lot of opportunity, and the best players play.”

Despite their recruiting efforts; however, Johnson’s relationship with the staff still needs to develop.

“I got a so-so relationship,” Johnson said. “I don’t really talk to them that much, but I feel like that is gong to change.”

Johnson emphasized that he does not currently have a short list of teams, and is zeroed in on bringing another state championship to his school.

The 177 pound athlete also said he is not going to rush his decision, and won’t announce one in the near future.

“Towards the end of the season,” Johnson said. “Because I want to make sure I make the right decision. I don’t want to just make a decision that I have second thoughts, no, when I make a decision that is it.”

Advertisement
Somehow pulling this kid would be amazing. Elite kid here. Sounds like we have a little time to build that relationship.

Get em, Panda!

giphy.gif

This is the type of kid that goes to ucla or uga imo. Won't be fsu that's for sure

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
This makes too much sense not to happen

1) we're an 1:30 from his brother

2) bunch of Jacksonville kids on the roster with some from trinity catholic

3) he told 247 he's very good friends with Lo Lingard in Ivins commitment reaction article

I personally think he's the best safety in the country and that's his future position

Last edited:

3) he told 247 he's very good friends with Lo Lingard in Ivins commitment reaction article

I personally think he's the best safety in the country and that's his future position

So he's that much better than the top So FL safeties (Hall, Jobe, Frierson, Russell, CJ Smith, etc )??

Can you describe what you like so much about him? More of a cover S or box S?

So he's that much better than the top So FL safeties (Hall, Jobe, Frierson, Russell, CJ Smith, etc )??

He's a cover Safety, I love how versatile he is. He plays CB for trinity, plays RB, plays WR, and does work at safety just to show how athletic he is and he has amazing ball skills/ instincts to find the ball. Frierson and Jobe are probably better tacklers but tyreke has better instincts and ball skills imo.

Advertisement

He's a cover Safety, I love how versatile he is. He plays CB for trinity, plays RB, plays WR, and does work at safety just to show how athletic he is and he has amazing ball skills/ instincts to find the ball. Frierson and Jobe are probably better tacklers but tyreke has better instincts and ball skills imo.

Thanks for that analysis. We could indeed use a more "cover-oriented" Safety. Frierson, Russell, and Hall all seem more like box safeties. As do Carter and Smith from '17.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back