Miami Looking to Make a “Silent Creep” on 2018 5 Star DB

Advertisement
So if he wants in does someone else get pushed out? Or do we take 5 corners?

The DBs in this class and the targets are not being viewed as set positions. All of these guys have versatility. Although I prefer some at certain positions. Like Russell as a Nickel Safety. Frierson as a FS.

Jobe, Hall & Campbell are all capable of playing either corner or safety. Although I feel Hall & Jobe are optimized as safetys who can play high top or down in the box. I feel Campbell is optimized as a corner.

Same for Tyreke.

I like Ivey as a CB.

Contrary to what the casual fan knows on cis or twitter, I've seen Blades play in person a lot. He actually plays safety at higher level right now than corner. (He was playing safety a lot for STA last season) He needs quite a bit of coaching at corner but he posses the tools to be a great corner regardless, he tests very well. Some locals (coaches, scouts, myself) feel as if he's actually a little overrated at this point. Not a knock, he's just not as far along right now as some think. He will get there under Rumph.

Little known fact and may surprise some, Blades would be one of the best WRs in this class if he stuck on offense.

Last edited:
Pure Safeties

Gurvan Hall
Randy Russell (committed)

Pure corners

Tyson Campbell
Al Blades Jr (committed)
DJ Ivey (committed)

Hybrids

Tyreke Johnson
Josh Jobe (committed)
Gilbert Frierson (committed)

- its going to be interesting to see how it shakes out in the end. I can see Gurvan Hall being the odd man out if Tyreke Johnson wants in. Regardless this could be the best db class in cfb history.

Pure Safeties

Gurvan Hall

Pure corners

Tyson Campbell
Al Blades Jr (committed)
DJ Ivey (committed)

Hybrids

Tyreke Johnson
Josh Jobe (committed)

- its going to be interesting to see how it shakes out in the end. I can see Gurvan Hall being the odd man out if Tyreke Johnson wants in. Regardless this could be the best db class in cfb history.
Disagree, hall is no doubt better than anyone we are recruiting at db not named jobe or campbell. Regardless hall will be committing soon to Miami anyway so that's a moot point. Watch the film he's a beast

Advertisement

He would probably take Campbell's spot if they are both viewed as CBs

no one is taking Campbell spot, you make room for Johnson if he wants in

If any db doesn't end up in this class it will be Russell. And I already doubt Burns is going to be a take at all for football. Seems like a track guy. And Patterson seems like he's already in the process of being dropped...although I wouldn't be opposed to keeping him for now as our 3rd RB, but definitely not over any of the other dbs. Rather have asante samuel than patterson at db.

Ivey, Frierson, Jobe are essentially guaranteed spots since they are committed and worthy of their offers.
Blades is going to be committing soon enough so he's in.
Campbell might be the best of them all so his spot is probably guaranteed and not dependent on him committing in a set amount of time.
Hall's spot might not be locked up.
To me just seems like Tyreke is a take without replacing anybody.

I think if we can get Tyreke, Jobe, Campbell, Ivey, Blades, Frierson, Hall, and Russell we do it.
Maybe the tradeoff to taking 8dbs is only 4 wrs max instead of the possibility of 5 and in that case I definitely say do it. Or maybe the tradeoff is no 3rd rb, and in that case i definitely say do it. There is no reason we shouldn't take all 8 of those guys if they try to sign on nsd.

So, we taking DJ Ivey, Gilbert Frierson, Al Blades Jr, Josh Jobe, Tyson Campbell, Gurvan Hall, Randy Russell & Tyreke Johnson?

Look, y'all know I'm one of the most positive dudes on here, but I'm sorry that just doesn't sound realistic this early in the game.

Not saying it's impossible, but it is March & things are bound to change over the next 10 months whether we wanna believe it or not.

Doesn't mean we won't still end up with the #1 class or at least a top 3, but that DB haul would literally be the greatest ever in recruiting history lol

Last edited:
So, we taking DJ Ivey, Gilbert Frierson, Al Blades Jr, Tyson Campbell, Gurvan Hall, Randy Russell & Tyreke Johnson?

Look, y'all know I'm one of the most positive dudes on here, but I'm sorry that just doesn't sound realistic this early in the game.

Not saying it's impossible, but it is March & things are bound to change over the next 10 months whether we wanna believe it or not.

Doesn't mean we won't still end up with the #1 class or at least a top 3, but that DB haul would literally be the greatest ever in recruiting history lol

This discussion is more of would any get dropped if they all wanted to sign with us on nsd. and the answer to that is no. Lets be real its going to be hard enough getting Campbell let alone Tyreke. But if they all want in imo we make that **** happen. Also, you forgot Jobe.

Advertisement

The DBs in this class and the targets are not being viewed as set positions. All of these guys have versatility. Although I prefer some at certain positions. Like Russell as a Nickel Safety. Frierson as a FS.

Jobe, Hall & Campbell are all capable of playing either corner or safety. Although I feel Hall & Jobe are optimized as safetys who can play high top or down in the box. I feel Campbell is optimized as a corner.

Same for Tyreke.

I like Ivey as a CB.

Contrary to what the casual fan knows on cis or twitter, I've seen Blades play in person a lot. He actually plays safety at higher level right now than corner. (He was playing safety a lot for STA last season) He needs quite a bit of coaching at corner but he posses the tools to be a great corner regardless, he tests very well. Some locals (coaches, scouts, myself) feel as if he's actually a little overrated at this point. Not a knock, he's just not as far along right now as some think. He will get there under Rumph.

Little known fact and may surprise some, Blades would be one of the best WRs in this class if he stuck on offense.
A lot of people know Blades has played some Safety at STA, because Samuel & 2019 Jaden Davis played a lot at CB as starters.
Samuel Jr played some at Nickel Safety too, but no one projects them at S on the next level.

So, we taking DJ Ivey, Gilbert Frierson, Al Blades Jr, Tyson Campbell, Gurvan Hall, Randy Russell & Tyreke Johnson?

This discussion is more of would any get dropped if they all wanted to sign with us on nsd. and the answer to that is no. Lets be real its going to be hard enough getting Campbell let alone Tyreke. But if they all want in imo we make that **** happen. Also, you forgot Jobe.
You're right I did forget to add Jobe... Which basically furthers my point lol

Pure Safeties

Gurvan Hall

Pure corners

Tyson Campbell
Al Blades Jr (committed)
DJ Ivey (committed)

Hybrids

Tyreke Johnson
Josh Jobe (committed)

Disagree, hall is no doubt better than anyone we are recruiting at db not named jobe or campbell. Regardless hall will be committing soon to Miami anyway so that's a moot point. Watch the film he's a beast

Gurvan has a spot in this class. That's crazy talk. His commitment is coming this spring.

Also, I'd flip Gurvan & Frierson on the way you categorized them.

Gurvan actually very fluid and athletic, he can play both spots if needed. He possesses some of the greatest closing speed I've seen in a long time, I prefer him at safety but he's good enough to play corner too. Frierson struggles at corner, I have major doubts he will be a corner at Miami despite what some have said. He's a natural FS, wouldn't take him out of that element.

While I like Tyson upside more at corner. He can be just as good at safety. Would put him in the hybrid conversation.

While I mentioned earlier that Blades plays safety at a higher level right now than corner. I view his most upside at corner regardless. Rumph will get that out of him in college.

Randy will be in the box and nickel packages. Think of what we had Jaquan playing last year.

Advertisement

Same for Tyreke.

I like Ivey as a CB.

A lot of people know Blades has played some Safety at STA, because Samuel & 2019 Jaden Davis played a lot at CB as starters.
Samuel Jr played some at Nickel Safety too, but no one projects them at S on the next level.

That's not what I'm alluding to though. His upside is at corner, he's just not as far along as some think he is at this stage. Very athletic though. He's just really raw.

Pure Safeties

Gurvan Hall

Pure corners

Tyson Campbell
Al Blades Jr (committed)
DJ Ivey (committed)

Hybrids

Tyreke Johnson
Josh Jobe (committed)

Gurvan has a spot in this class. That's crazy talk. His commitment is coming this spring.

Gurvan actually very fluid and athletic, he can play both spots if needed. He possesses some of the greatest closing speed I've seen in a long time, I prefer him at safety but he's good enough to play corner too. Frierson struggles at corner, I have major doubts he will be a corner at Miami despite what some have said. He's a natural FS, wouldn't take him out of that element.

While I like Tyson upside more at corner. He can be just as good at safety. Would put him in the hybrid conversation.

While I mentioned earlier that Blades plays safety at a higher level right now than corner. I view his most upside at corner regardless. Rumph will get that out of him in college.

Randy will be in the box and nickel packages. Think of what we had Jaquan playing last year.

I like hall more than frierson. I like frierson a lot but I think really highly of hall. He's that good

He would probably take Campbell's spot if they are both viewed as CBs

no one is taking Campbell spot, you make room for Johnson if he wants in

If any db doesn't end up in this class it will be Russell. And I already doubt Burns is going to be a take at all for football. Seems like a track guy. And Patterson seems like he's already in the process of being dropped...although I wouldn't be opposed to keeping him for now as our 3rd RB, but definitely not over any of the other dbs. Rather have asante samuel than patterson at db.

Ivey, Frierson, Jobe are essentially guaranteed spots since they are committed and worthy of their offers.
Blades is going to be committing soon enough so he's in.
Campbell might be the best of them all so his spot is probably guaranteed and not dependent on him committing in a set amount of time.
Hall's spot might not be locked up.
To me just seems like Tyreke is a take without replacing anybody.

I think if we can get Tyreke, Jobe, Campbell, Ivey, Blades, Frierson, Hall, and Russell we do it.
Maybe the tradeoff to taking 8dbs is only 4 wrs max instead of the possibility of 5 and in that case I definitely say do it. Or maybe the tradeoff is no 3rd rb, and in that case i definitely say do it. There is no reason we shouldn't take all 8 of those guys if they try to sign on nsd.

This. Our DB depth right now is worse than people think. We need a talent infusion back there bad.

Advertisement
Pure Safeties

Gurvan Hall

Pure corners

Tyson Campbell
Al Blades Jr (committed)
DJ Ivey (committed)

Hybrids

Tyreke Johnson
Josh Jobe (committed)

I like hall more than frierson. I like frierson a lot but I think really highly of hall. He's that good

Rightfully so. Hall is special. [MENTION=2]DMoney[/MENTION] & I were warning and promoting him on here to posters since last offseason. He reminds me a lot of Darryl Williams who came through this very same program. All-American safety. His closing speed was other-worldly like Hall.

Pure Safeties

Gurvan Hall

Pure corners

Tyson Campbell
Al Blades Jr (committed)
DJ Ivey (committed)

Hybrids

Tyreke Johnson
Josh Jobe (committed)

Rightfully so. Hall is special. [MENTION=2]DMoney[/MENTION] & I were warning and promoting him on here to posters since last offseason. He reminds me a lot of Darryl Williams who came through this very same program. All-American safety. His closing speed was other-worldly like Hall.
What would you say is friersons strengths and weaknesses. I only ask cuz I've seen a lot of gator love on twitter from him.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

What's up with Blades recruitment? My phone logs me out a lot so I don't much, but I read the tweets from recruits and from all these guys, Blades shows almost no love to UM. Maybe I am reading too deep into this, just looking for clarity with some posters who have more insight than me

Advertisement
Back