Miami in Good Shape for 5-Star Thomas

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Booker T. Washington 5-star linebacker Matthew Thomas had stayed quiet on the recruiting front during the season because he was focused on winning a championship. After suffering a tough loss to Bolles last year, the Tornadoes got the job done this season.

“It feels good because we set ourselves that goal to be there and we worked so hard to get there and it feels special to actually achieve it.”

The game had extra meaning to Thomas because his mother was able to see him play for the first time.

“It was my last game in high school and the first time that she got to see me play ever. It was special that she got to see us win the state championship.”

Even with the season over, Thomas has still been working hard for the next level.

“I’m working out at a training facility called Fast Twitch out here by my house. Me and Denver Kirkland are working out every day from 12-2. We’re off tomorrow and leave Sunday for the Under Armour game, but we’ve been working.”

The versatile linebacker will be on display at the Under Armour All-American game next Friday.

“I don’t really want to prove anything out there, but I want to go out there and have fun and compete.”

Now with the season over, Thomas has focused more of his attention to the recruiting process down the stretch. He was impressed with the season that Miami had.

“I think they did good because all the odds were against them and they had so many young guys. In the future, they will be a top national contender.”

While some Miami fans weren’t happy with the decision to self-impose a postseason ban this season, Thomas looked the situation in a positive light.

“I thought about it and I know they’ve talked about setting the program up for the future. I think they made a good decision to take the bowl away.”

Miami isn’t the only school that Thomas is heavily considering. He will take a visit to Florida State on January 25th.

“I just want to go and look at the campus a little more and show my mom everything as far as the classrooms, the weight rooms, and all that.”

Florida State recently lost their former Defensive Coordinator Mark Stoops, as he took the Head Coach position at Kentucky.

“I would talk to him when I was up there. Our relationship was good.”

While Denver Kirkland said last week that Thomas would be visiting Miami with him on the 18th, Thomas himself says that he isn’t sure when or if he will visit Miami.

“I try to get all my other visits out of the way because I can visit Miami at any time. I can go there during the week if I wanted to.”

Thomas’ main recruiter from the Miami coaching staff is Linebackers Coach Micheal Barrow.

“Our relationship is great. He knows Coach Ice real well and he’s been recruiting me for a long time. We talk about a lot of things like how they can use me. We have a great relationship.”

Something that stood out to Thomas is the presence of Miami coaches at his playoff games.

“It means a lot. It shows that they care about me as a person and not just as a football player and they want to see me grow so that means a lot to me.”

Something that will be a big factor into his choice is his mother’s opinion. He says his mom would prefer for him to stay close to home at Miami.

“Yeah that’s still a part of my decision because even if she wouldn’t be able to come to all of the games then I feel like she could still be seeing my weekly in person.”

Last edited:
Advertisement
We need Thomas. He will help bring our defense back. There's no way around it, we need him to sign his LOI with us.

Advertisement
Something I would like to add... He is a really good and humble kid. He is a great interview and has a good attitude when doing it.

Something I would like to add... He is a really good and humble kid. He is a great interview and has a good attitude when doing it.

Those are the type of kids UM usually does well with. Think he comes for an official visit? If he does it is over. I reallly hope we get him on campus.

Also his mom IMO will be a huge reason he stays close to home. I'm guessing the reason she had never seen him play before is because all of his games were on Fridays but the state championship was on a Saturday. All of his games here will be on Saturdays, obviously, so she can come watch.

Advertisement

Those are the type of kids UM usually does well with. Think he comes for an official visit? If he does it is over. I reallly hope we get him on campus.

Also his mom IMO will be a huge reason he stays close to home. I'm guessing the reason she had never seen him play before is because all of his games were on Fridays but the state championship was on a Saturday. All of his games here will be on Saturdays, obviously, so she can come watch.

Yeah I would be surprised if he doesn't visit. He said he's scheduled to go to USC the 18th, but I've seen this so many times where a kid has a crazy visit set up and just decides to stay home instead. I would expect him to visit with Kirkland that weekend.

Advertisement
Advertisement

You can definitely tell that just from reading his interviews. He seems like the kind of kid that, talent aside, you'd love to have representing your program. I would wish him well wherever he went, if he did choose to leave Miami.

But he's a 'Cane so I won't have to do that.

Thanks for the info Pete. It seems that 6 really wants to sell his mom on FSU. In your opinion, Is mom the only thing swaying 6 to the Canes or are there more factors in place?

Thanks for the info Pete. It seems that 6 really wants to sell his mom on FSU. In your opinion, Is mom the only thing swaying 6 to the Canes or are there more factors in place?

There are definitely a few other huge selling points for Miami...he will play early, he knows a lot of the players on the team already, he has a great relationship with the coaches...the list goes on

And this is why I'm so confident in our chances. The understated, humble kids, who don't seem to be much for the limelight, with the pomp and circumstance, have a history of choosing the Canes. Duke is the very same way, as is Herb Waters, and Malcolm Lewis. Those kids know they are good and don't pine for the attention that other recruits, that shall remain nameless, beg for.

We are getting kids with a great sense of community and family, and by extension, have a great sense of team, because a team is nothing but a little community and family. Guys who genuinely care for one another and will hold themselves and teammates accountable for what goes on daily. It's more than winning for Al Golden. Of course winning is in his job description like every other coach in the country, but he really wants to build something that could stand the test of time here. Those values are what stand past time. The loyalty, the trust, the accountability and responsibility that you have as a player to everybody in that program.

Advertisement
Back