Miami has offered DT Edgar Cerenord

All you guys talkin' about how he's quick, uses low pad level and lives in backfield are forgetting (or have no clue) what we run on defense.

This kid's main talents are void in our scheme. There's nothing about that tape that says he's gonna be a good 2-gap NT. He certainly ain't a 3-4 DE. Too short.

In our current scheme I don't see where he fits. We're basically hoping he can do something (when he gets to Miami) that he's never been asked to do before. (read and control offensive linemen)

I don't hate the offer...but I would really LOVE the offer if we were planning to use him as a 3-technique in a 1-gap scheme.

Clicked the link, watched the tape, and came to this thread to write this more or less.

Get a room

Advertisement
I will say this..Whoever liked the Ryan Mayes and Dennis Turner commits should not be saying they dont like this take. Same bracket of prospect if you ask me. A guy that prob wont be a superstar here, but could provide depth when he is a RS-Jr.

I dont hate this take. Its better then the staff doing nothing. The DTs on our board are dropping like flies. (Pelon, Johnson, Holley, etc) And we need some quality depth.

Blackvern, I disagree, that this kid isnt better then Earl Moore or Corey King. Earl and Corey have shown us NOTHING. NOTHING. Not even a glimpse. They are treading on "Ricardo Williams" territory really soon. This coming Spring will be there 3rd year in the program. If they cant at the very least be in the 3 deep rotation at DT, they need to go.

And lastly, Im sure Mike Rumph wouldnt have put Al on this kid if he wasnt UM caliber. Mike was a 5 star, all everything, safety when he came out of Delray Atlantic. He knows what UM material is. If he was a "low BCS level" kid...Im sure he would have told Al to wait a while to offer him and see "what else is out there".

All you guys talkin' about how he's quick, uses low pad level and lives in backfield are forgetting (or have no clue) what we run on defense.

This kid's main talents are void in our scheme. There's nothing about that tape that says he's gonna be a good 2-gap NT. He certainly ain't a 3-4 DE. Too short.

In our current scheme I don't see where he fits. We're basically hoping he can do something (when he gets to Miami) that he's never been asked to do before. (read and control offensive linemen)

I don't hate the offer...but I would really LOVE the offer if we were planning to use him as a 3-technique in a 1-gap scheme.

Clicked the link, watched the tape, and came to this thread to write this more or less.

Get a room

Although you are probably right. On the football board there are a few highlights from the louville game in 04. The sheer makeup, size speed of the dline seem drastically different. I hope in time it is for the better

If this was to cultivate a pipeline it should have been done PRIOR to Sony's recruitment. Frankly if we are opening a pipeline why not add McKenzie, one of the best talents out of SoFlo in a while.

Regardless of your thoughts on this DT, you don't replace a JUCO DT with a HS Senior DT. It doesn't make sense. You SHOULDN'T replace a HS Senior with a JUCO DT and expect the same thing right away.

As AU already said, its not like we have a choice. If there were other JUCO options out there, Im sure they would have explored them. If this kid got the last DT ship, its because the JUCO options are zero, and they still want at least one more DT in this class for depth. IMO Valentine is going to see the field next year. Jenkins may also be thrown into the fire with his size. But you also have to build for the future. So a kid like this who you can redshirt, is not a bad take. He has some skill and size. Two years of UTough and he could be ready to be a solid contributor.

Advertisement
I like the kid. I just think giving our defensive line issues I am more prone to continue to stock pile our depth with players a little bit more talent may be ready mid year to early year...

I just don't think we have proven YET that we can take a kid like this and maximize his skill set to make him the next..................I just think we may need another JUCO body and maybe try to ready shirt one of they guys on our team...we already have King and Moore on the roster and they continue fall further behind on the depth chart...

JMO...I don't think we can justify taking a kid like this yet...not yet...

Are you familiar with the name Olsen Pierre? Because this is a very similar situation. Fairly unknown kid with mediocre offers, that the staff felt had a pretty good skill set and could develop into a solid player. He's been one of our main guys now for a while. Granted that isnt saying much, but the kid has been decent for us overall.

I like the kid. I just think giving our defensive line issues I am more prone to continue to stock pile our depth with players a little bit more talent may be ready mid year to early year...

I just don't think we have proven YET that we can take a kid like this and maximize his skill set to make him the next..................I just think we may need another JUCO body and maybe try to ready shirt one of they guys on our team...we already have King and Moore on the roster and they continue fall further behind on the depth chart...

JMO...I don't think we can justify taking a kid like this yet...not yet...

Are you familiar with the name Olsen Pierre? Because this is a very similar situation. Fairly unknown kid with mediocre offers, that the staff felt had a pretty good skill set and could develop into a solid player. He's been one of our main guys now for a while. Granted that isnt saying much, but the kid has been decent for us overall.

basically athletic 300 llb guys with quick feet don't grow on trees.

I dont see it. im just thinking its the system he plays in but he doest dominate, make a lot of plays in the backfield, or get many double teams.maybe this is a projection move by AL but i hope there are better options

Advertisement
JUCO kids are here 2 years. Freshman get 5 to play 4. At some point in time Al needs to sign freshman and let them develop for meaningful contribution by the RS-Soph year.
Agreed; we just cannot afford to miss on DT recruits anymore (ie the current soph/juniors).

Reacts to Miami Offer
“Coach Jethro reached out to me about two weeks ago to ask if I still had any interest in Miami,” “We emailed back and forth a little bit until he said he had some great news for me. That’s when I got the scholarship offer.”
-always interested in Miami, attending the Al Golden Summer Camp and their game against Florida . That should help their case moving forward even though the offer arrived relatively late.
-“I was excited, it was an amazing offer to get from a program like that,” “There was a point when I didn’t think it would happen but I didn’t take it personally. It’s pretty good having my coach go there and telling us all the good things he accomplished. I’m definitely going to take a hard look at them now.”
-He doesn’t really have specific plans in regards to Miami or any other school.
-“I haven’t taken any of my official visits yet so I’ll take them next month,” “Nothing is set yet and I’m not sure where I’m going to end up visiting. Duke and Wake Forest maybe, but there have been changes at both of those programs lately.”

Cerenord’s BCS offers come from Arkansas, Cincinnati, Duke, Indiana, Memphis , Purdue, Rutgers, South Florida, Tennessee, UCF, and Wake Forest. Cincinnati, Duke, Memphis, Tennessee, and Wake Forest have hosted him unofficially.
The ACC theme among Cerenord’s list of the schools is no coincidence since he’ll likely end up at a school with strong academic offers.
-“I’m looking for an academically and athletically balanced school,” “I want to be somewhere I have a chance to play and there are great opportunities. As long as I can do that, I could go basically anywhere.”
-said his favorite player is Warren Sapp, finished his senior campaign with 74 tackles, 3 sacks, and an interception.
-“I’m quick, powerful, and strong all at the same time,” “I come off the ball and I like to make plays.”

http://miami.247sports.com/Article/American-Heritage-DT-Edgar-Cerenord-Reacts-to-Miami-Offer-166796

Has some potential as a nose, but I think if he does come here his biggest impact will come in nickel as an interior rusher. Some solid tools, leverage and quickness definitely pop out, moves extremely well, curious about his strength numbers. Really like the DTs committed but Cerenord definitely has his own niche in that group.

Congrats to young Mr. Cerenord on the UM offer I like the offer as quicker NT, he has quickness and strength can be improved in time, but I just question whether UM has the time to wait on this young man given the reductions in scholarships over the next few years.

However if UM is looking for a developmental 3-Tech DT/DE then UM might take a look at 2014 Milford Academy Prep DT/DE Eric Waife kid is a true 6'5" 270lbs wrecking crew, at Milford this year he had 14 solo tackles, 14 asst Tackles, 5 TFL's, 3 sacks, 1 Forced Fumble and recovery, 1 Def TD from a scoop and score, and 1 Blocked FG.

The kid is naturally strong his JR year in High School he throw 49feet in the shot put, which for a 6'5" 260lb is amazing given his height, it shows very good explosion.
http://nj.milesplit.com/athletes/1503949-eric-waife#.UrHQCScsy3M

He committed after attending a camp he committed Rutgers for the 2013 class coming out of Egg Harbour Township HS, NJ (Senior year stats 56 Tackles, 5 Sacks, 2 batted passes, and 1 Def TD). The kid was raw coming out of high School but with the time spent at Prep School coupled with being an Early Enrollee and going through spring ball, then Red Shirting for 2014 this kid will be 290lbs easily and terror setting the edge in the 3-4. So UM wouldn't have to wait 3 years for this kid to develop, as we would for Cerenord. Waife is currently committed to RU an scheduled to enroll this spring, but we have seen the reestablishment of Jersey Pipeline of recruits to S. Fla under AG, an this kid is the long Lean type AG Likes.

Go Canes!

Sr Year Highlights (2012) (Part 1)
[video=youtube;b9HtWm0xQAs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9HtWm0xQAs[/video]

Sr Year Highlights (2012) (Part 2)
[video=youtube;NPsMv3YNtc0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPsMv3YNtc0[/video]

Last edited:
Advertisement
At this point, no reason not to take a flyer on the kid? As stated earlier, 300-pounders with good feet don't grow on trees. Put him in the system for a couple years and if isn't going to cut it, then move on. Al has obviously shown a willingness to adjust his roster as needed.

And we also offered Corey Johnson, who is the same kind of player as Cerenord.

All these moves tell me there are going to be some major adjustments next year. I refuse to believe that the staff is counting on Michael Wyche and Earl Moore to hold down NT.

Advertisement

And we also offered Corey Johnson, who is the same kind of player as Cerenord.

All these moves tell me there are going to be some major adjustments next year. I refuse to believe that the staff is counting on Michael Wyche and Earl Moore to hold down NT.

If Golden is the coach I think he is - and we all hope he is - he has to make major adjustments. We just don't have the hosses to run what he wants and he HAS to know that. The strength is the DB group, and he has to know that. Let them press and trust them on an island and make up for our shortcomings in the Front 7 by getting creative with our pressure...or maybe be fired for dereliction of duty. Those are the two choices.

Relating this back to Cerenord...love him if we at least have a package where he gets after the QB, hate this take if it is as a potential nose tackle.

You would think this kid would commit on spot. What are our chances with him?

Regardless of your thoughts on this DT, you don't replace a JUCO DT with a HS Senior DT. It doesn't make sense. You SHOULDN'T replace a HS Senior with a JUCO DT and expect the same thing right away.

You have to put it in context. We have completely missed on DT recruiting for the last two recruiting cycles. In other words, had e we signed Bostwick in the last cycle, this kid would not have an offer now. There is no DT depth on our roster. How do you fix that problem? You pull in JUCO DTs. When you miss on your JUCO DTs (Pelon/Johnson) as we have, then you have to add depth, even if that depth is not ready to play. So that is why you offer this DT.

The hope for the coaching staff is that Valentine is ready to play next year, and effectively serves as our second JUCO DT, in addition to Wyche.

We can also try the waiver wire route, but that is basically pulling in damaged goods or underperformers, so you can't count on them to make a big impact.

The part in Bold: Impossible to actually know. Is that a possible answer, sure. Is it definite, no.

There is DT depth, the question whether there is quality DT depth ready to play serious burn.

Pierre, Wyche, Moore, King and Hamilton are all DTs. Plus Kamalu may play some DT. The question is whether these guys can contribute quality burn...the answer is _________________________.

Advertisement
Back