Miami Flo's Predictions

Advertisement
I would say that having QB competition made both of those schools better.

Agreed.

This should not be a black and white discussion. A QB competition between Stroud & Ewers resulted in Stroud emerging victorious. What did this lead to for OSU?

- Two-time Heisman finalist.
- CFB playoff appearance in which Stroud put up 41 points against a stacked UGA defense.
- 2nd overall pick in the draft and eventual OROY.
- Shows proof of concept that they can produce a high level NFL QB, single-handedly reversing OSU’s stigma at the position and making them a more appealing destination for future premier QB’s both via recruiting and the portal.

We’ve sucked out loud for two decades and have had one 6th round pick at QB during that span. Those two statements are deeply connected. Acquiring premier talent at the most important position in team sports should be an all-hands-on-deck approach where no stone is left unturned.

We would be foolish to rely on one or the other between HS QB recruiting vs. a portal QB acquisition approach. Programs that dominate college football prioritize both. We’re not going to moneyball our way to outsmarting or outmaneuvering our competition by only relying on one or the other.

I haven’t prevented you or anyone else for that matter from replying to my post, so have no idea what you’re talking about. Don’t insult me by trying to be slick and throwing shade at me in your response to other posters. You got something to say to me feel free to @ me.
Everything i say here as to do with recruiting. All i said wasa lot of u man like to brag on signing day about stars and rankings. Which is true. So to reply to that with personal insults and then acting like its the same thing is funny. I could not reply to your specific reply, there was no option. Which is why i stopping @ U. If shade is enough for u, then we can leave it where it at.

1. I'm not an Allar fan but if PSU has a good season he could go R1.
2. I hate Klubnik
3. Weigman looked pretty good before injury

1. Arch has looked good in practice whatever that means.
2. Nico is the starter we will see.
3. Moore trust the D (No Diddy)
The question is whether the gamble is worth it. Dropping big money for a developmental year is a gamble. Now imagine a proven QB becomes available in that QB's second year and he transfers out because he doesn't want to sit another year as backup. You just spent a lot and got nothing.

Agreed.

This should not be a black and white discussion. A QB competition between Stroud & Ewers resulted in Stroud emerging victorious. What did this lead to for OSU?

- CFB playoff appearance in which Stroud put up 41 points against a stacked UGA defense.
- Shows proof of concept that they can produce a high level NFL QB, single-handedly reversing OSU’s stigma at the position and making them a more appealing destination for future premier QB’s both via recruiting and the portal.

We’ve sucked out loud for two decades and have had one 6th round pick at QB during that span. Those two statements are deeply connected. Acquiring premier talent at the most important position in team sports should be an all-hands-on-deck approach where no stone is left unturned.

We would be foolish to rely on one or the other between HS QB recruiting vs. a portal QB acquisition approach. Programs that dominate college football prioritize both. We’re not going to moneyball our way to outsmarting or outmaneuvering our competition by only relying on one or the other.
200w-1.gif

Advertisement
The question is whether the gamble is worth it. Dropping big money for a developmental year is a gamble. Now imagine a proven QB becomes available in that QB's second year and he transfers out because he doesn't want to sit another year as backup. You just spent a lot and got nothing.
The QB is always worth it. The question is whether the staff trusts their ability to evaluate and develop.

I agree with most of that. Players are getting cut at the highest rate ever. I don't think it's subjective to say our QB floor needs to be elevated greatly.
It 100% does but at the moment I’m not sure what that looks like. It’s hard to keep players that are just sitting. You and I were/are definitely on the same page that we signed garbage at the QB spot in 23 and 24.

Here you go: name the best quarterback in CFB for 2024 who: (1) was a Top 10 quarterback out of high school; and (2) is on the same team that signed him out of high school. You're going to go far down the list of top teams and top QBs before you find one.

As for the "narrative,” Mario is trying to sign expensive QBs. He wanted Rashada and he wanted Noland. I, personally, disagree with the approach from a budget standpoint. Bring me DTs and CBs.

All I'm pushing are the facts. Transfer QBs dominate the draft, in increasing numbers. The top QBs in the nation this year are either transfers, non-Top 10 HS recruits, or both. Including the best QB we’ve had since Dorsey.

In a changing world, the numbers say it's dumb decision to spend big on a high school QB. Spend that money on the positions where you can't pull a proven, future draft pick from the Portal.

Do I love our young QBs? No. Wouldn't have been my picks. I'm intrigued with the concept of pulling young, blue-chip QBs from the Portal (the Oregon/Dante Moore approach).

But spending millions on a high school kid who is likely to bust or transfer is fiscally irresponsible. Let’s be ahead of the numbers instead of lagging behind with old, out-of-date thinking.

I’m not opposed to taking a transfer QB (as long it’s the 2nd guy we landed and not the first) and I’m not opposed to signing high ranked HS QBs. Do everything, leave no stone unturned, just ****en win.

Other than that, I eagerly anticipated your thread blasting the pickup when Mario is finally successful in his foolish pursuit.

Advertisement
Agreed.

Stroud was a stud. So was Bryce Young, who also signed that year.

Every other Top 10 QB that year transferred. Every single one.

And remember, Stroud and Young walked into loaded situations around them which allowed them to succeed. Other elite prospects like Bo Nix and Jayden Daniels weren’t so lucky at their first spot.

The Portal and NIL has changed the game. It’s foolish to compare us to teams like Bama and Ohio State who can recruit off their brand. And, of course, neither team is starting a Top 10 recruit at QB this year.

It’s a new era. Let’s look at the numbers and be smart. Pay in high school for what you can’t pay for in the Portal.

The picture has not been blurred. You just have people screaming loud noises to distract you from the point.
UF didn't give a false picture of Rashada? Also, don't discount the optics of going into a bidding war and losing.

Advertisement
All of UGA QBs were out of HS even the walk on. And Carson Beck is the best QB coming in to this year 2024.
Last CFP Champs
2023 Mich HS QB
2022 UGA HS QB
2021 UGA HS QB
2020 Bama HS QB
2019 LSU multiple yr transfer came in 2018

Now if you want a Heisman you can get a transfer but even then it's probably a multiple yr guy do they have low cost and can master the playbook and recruit for you based on guys knowing they'll be there next yr. So maybe a Soph. or Jr. transfer is the best value but not a 1 yr rental.

Probably not as real as the many on this board that have proclaimed Emory to be better than Arch.
Not sure anyone is claiming Emory is better than Arch. And quite honestly, neither has shown anything yet to make a clear determination one way or another.

And that's the very point of the argument. Arch, like Emory, is currently sitting on the bench. One is making a LOT more money to sit on the bench. Doesn't mean Arch won't be heads and shoulders better than Emory as a prospect next year, but even if he is, it may or may not be for Texas. So why not throw that NIL money at a transfer QB who has shown something rather than paying $1m+ for an unknown in Arch? Especially if you have to wisely allocate your resources. Long gone are the days you could stack 3-4 top QBs on your roster and wait 2-3 years to develop them.

Of course everyone would love to have a 4-star or 5-star QB out of high school; don't think anyone disagrees with you on that. But with the NIL era, it is so hard to hold onto them. We went and got a top HS recruit in Rashada and then were "outbid" (fraudulently), before he could even sign. And then tampering and bidding goes on once they do sign. I couldn't imagine being a college coach today. The transfer portal is fun when you're getting guys, but it really does ruin college athletics. If there was NIL and still had do sit out a year after transfer, things would look very different.

Advertisement
Not sure anyone is claiming Emory is better than Arch. And quite honestly, neither has shown anything yet to make a clear determination one way or another.

And that's the very point of the argument. Arch, like Emory, is currently sitting on the bench. One is making a LOT more money to sit on the bench. Doesn't mean Arch won't be heads and shoulders better than Emory as a prospect next year, but even if he is, it may or may not be for Texas. So why not throw that NIL money at a transfer QB who has shown something rather than paying $1m+ for an unknown in Arch? Especially if you have to wisely allocate your resources. Long gone are the days you could stack 3-4 top QBs on your roster and wait 2-3 years to develop them.

Of course everyone would love to have a 4-star or 5-star QB out of high school; don't think anyone disagrees with you on that. But with the NIL era, it is so hard to hold onto them. We went and got a top HS recruit in Rashada and then were "outbid" (fraudulently), before he could even sign. And then tampering and bidding goes on once they do sign. I couldn't imagine being a college coach today. The transfer portal is fun when you're getting guys, but it really does ruin college athletics. If there was NIL and still had do sit out a year after transfer, things would look very different.
Well if you are not sure you should conduct a quick search.

So just to recap, Carson Beck was the #19 QB that year and ranked below the likes of:

DJ Uiagalelei
Evan Prater
Ja'Quinden Jackson
Hudson Card
Malik Hornsby
Harrison Bailey
Luke Doty
Haynes King
Ethan Garbers
Shane Illingworth
Jay Butterfield
Chubba Purdy
Tyler Van Dyke
Jeff Sims
Drew Pyne

So go back to the drawing board, @cway313 and @TRick72
Don't worry about him D$ some people are just hard headed. I get your point tho 100% the super highly rated QBs coming out are hit or miss and don't stay around 4 to 5 years

Advertisement
Back