Miami Finalizes 2020 Nonconference Schedule

Oh joy, Temple is going to be SO pumped up for this instant classic matchup next year. Unbelievable the OOC schedule, it’s painful to even admit BJ put this blow fest together.

Advertisement
Even in our heyday, we had cupcakes. I’m just saying, b/c the Coastal is so weak (albeit we can’t win that bih for chit), we gotta schedule stronger opponents. Two cupcakes, and two strong opponents, imo. It will go a long ways.

I’d love to see Miami and every team do that. Saban had a great idea a few years ago, he said the NCAA should mandate you can’t play FCS teams if you’re in the P5, you can only play 1 G5 team, and the rest should be P5 games. But obviously nobody does that. As far as Miami, I want what you’re saying only because as a fan, I want more big games every fall. But strategically, it doesn’t make sense. Yes, the Coastal blows. But the ACC is still a big time league. If Miami wins that league, it’s almost certainly in the playoff. So what’s the advantage of playing a crazy OOC schedule? 11-1 or 10-2 with a win in Charlotte is going to get you in the playoffs 99 times out of 100, so there’s no incentive to schedule multiple P5 OOC games. Especially when no one else does either.

I just don’t see how Wagner is going to be even fun to watch. Slow, white, and dead is what comes to mind.
132AF135-8885-4ACD-B2DE-93981752AF99.jpeg

I want to see powerhouse matchups as much as anyone but that's not the way college football is anymore. You have nothing to gain by loading up with OOC opponents. Maybe every conference just needs to switch to nine game format. That would eliminate one cupcake.

Wagner would smoke Savannah State.

Advertisement
Also put me in the camp that says there's no point in loading up with strong OOC opponents, except for maybe bolstering ticket sales. Win the Coastal, then win the ACC title game, and it won't be a problem.

Plus, before we start going hog wild on an out of conference schedule, first I'd really like to see our team consistently take care of such Coastal juggernauts like the University of Virginia.

Here is Florida’s 2020 OOC (non-P5 schedule)

Eastern Washington
South Alabama
New Mexico State

All at home of course.

What’s the difference?

Any questions?
I get the point you are making, and UF's OOC schedule is usually laughable, but E. Washington is one of the better FCS teams around. They havent lost more than 3 games (this includes playoff games) in the last 5 years.
With that said UF could and should do better.

Some of you are living in the past. This is not 1983 anymore when you can schedule Nebraska Oklahoma Oklahoma State. We are doing exactly what everyone else is doing and that’s not a bad schedule

Who cares what everyone else is doing. We have to do what's best for us. No one is calling for a schedule like the 70's. But a game against Wagner does nothing for us.
* It will probably be lightly attended.
* It does nothing for recruiting
* As a div I school with only 2000 students, it doesn't even qualify as quality reps for the freshmen.
Might as well just schedule another scrimmage (but I don't think they can charge for it).

It is what it is I guess.

There’s cupcakes that help you get better as a team and then there’s playing teams like Wagner or Savannah St where all you do is just hold your breath on every play.

The only thing that comes from games like those are injuries. We don’t get better. The freshmen don’t get better. It’s not valuable game experience in any way.

But we will get treated to some horrendous threads about how great certain players and coaches are because of how they will look in that game, so that will be fun.

Advertisement
Jeezus. Of all the reasons to fire Blake, the OOC home games is not one. Clem$on plays like Woeford every year and we're *****ing about this kinda crap. We're playing UF, Baga, Mich St., L$U, etc. Stop pretending like it's still 1989, kids.

This is such pu$$y talk from our fans.

Clemson plays Wofford because it is a school in South Carolina. That would be the equivalent of UM playing FAMU or B-CC, which on a single-game basis, I am not complaining about.

Then, citing future games with Florida, Alabama, Michigan State, and LSU is not some sort of fix-it on the overall concept of OOC scheduling.

Yes, OOC scheduling is important, and it is one of the few parts of his job where Blake should be making an effort. As an AD, he doesn't have to deal with 8 of our 12 football games, the ACC does it for him. Unlike most ADs, he doesn't have to deal with an on-campus football stadium. Blake doesn't even have as many sports teams, overall, as ADs do at most other Power 5 programs.

There is a laundry list of POWER FIVE schools that Miami has not played ever, or at least for decades. They don't all have to be SEC powerhouses either. I've listed these out before.

Big 10 - Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern, Iowa, and Minnesota are all schools that would not give us an impossible SOS. Add in Rutgers and Maryland for "old-rivals-reuniting" purposes.

Big 12 - Iowa State, Kansas, Texas Tech, K-State, Baylor, TCU are all less-imposing than the SEC powerhouses. Add in West Virginia, same as Rutgers and Maryland.

Pac 12 - Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Oregon State, Utah, Washington State...****, we haven't played USC since the 1960s.

Toss in the service academies, BYU, Vanderbilt, Boise State...

I know that someone will cherry-pick to say "hey, we played K-State recently". Whatever, that's not the point, I'm just naming a ton of schools who we could make a regular effort towards scheduling. These are all teams that would be more interesting and attractive than WAGNER, and would sell both home and away tickets.

Blake doesn't make the effort. That's why he should be fired.

By the way, the Orlando kickoff game is NOT going to be held in 2020. I'm not saying that it's ideal to play in the game in back-to-back years, but I spoke to someone on Florida Citrus Sports, and they prefer to have a regional "host" team, which they do not have at this time, so they are not having the game next year. Would have been great to have Blake step up and say "yeah, we'll play in Orlando for 2 straight years, and let's get Southern Cal to come down". I'm not saying it would be a certainty, but Blake doesn't even try.

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The University of Miami football program announced Wednesday that it has finalized its nonconference schedule for the 2020 season.

The Hurricanes will host three nonconference opponents at Hard Rock Stadium during the month of September, and travel to Michigan State on Sept. 26.

Miami will kick off the 2020 campaign by hosting Temple on Sept. 5. The former BIG EAST Conference rivals last met in 2005, a 34-3 Hurricanes win. UM leads the all-time series, 13-1.

Miami will then host Wagner on Sept. 12, the first meeting between the schools. On Sept. 19, the Hurricanes host UAB, also for the first time in school history.

The Hurricanes then head to East Lansing, Mich., for their first meeting with the Spartans since 1989. Miami leads the all-time series with MSU, 4-0. This will mark UM’s first regular season game against a Big Ten opponent since a 2015 win over Nebraska.

Tragic disregard for hurricane season, the first three games wrap around the peak...

Enjoy the lightning delays, I'll head home.

Advertisement
I just wish the litany of whining posters would take a gander at other P5 schedules and tell me the difference?

And if you need to be convinced to attend Miami Hurricanes home games by opponent, how much of a fan are you?

This is just retarded logic.

This isn't about "needing to be convinced to attend Miami Hurricanes home games by opponent." I have season tickets. Sadly, Blake knows I will show up regardless of whatever ****ty opponents he lines up. This is the problem. I want to see Miami prove that it is the best by beating the best. I do not want to see us play a bunch of crappy teams. I don't want to see Robert Burns coming out for third quarter and fourth quarter carries.

Lots of pu$$ified fans justify this horrible scheduling by trying to compare us to Alabama and Florida when it comes to scheduling, BUT YOU ARE PROVING THE POINT of people who claim that an 8-game SEC schedule is superior SOS to every other conference SOS. I don't care what those state schools do. They have a bunch of mindless sheep fans who will proudly show up to see their juggernaut SEC schools trounce Division II competition. Don't care.

If we are going to justify Miami doing it because that's what SEC state schools do, we are idiots.

Again, there is a happy medium between scheduling 2 SEC OOC games each year and, say, putting Wagner-UAB-Temple on the schedule.

Too many people try to make these arguments using extreme examples. I don't care if you can trot out an SEC state school with an even weaker OOC schedule. That doesn't make it right, that doesn't make it admirable, that doesn't make it something we should emulate.

This isn't a hard bar to achieve. I wouldn't have a problem with MSU-UAB-Temple if we could just make an effort for ONE GAME to get Northwestern instead of Wagner. But Blake is lazy and entitled, yet people want to act like he is on a level with Alabama's AD when it comes to scheduling.

We get it. Bama plays in the SEC West and they can get away with horrible OOC scheduling, both from a playoff standpoint, and from a fan satisfaction standpoint.

Miami doesn't have that luxury on either count. Sure, I'd love to see every seat in Hard Rock filled for the Wagner game, but we all know it's not going to happen, even if the tickets are sold. The Wagner game has a foul stench, even if we try to guilt people into showing up purely for loyalty.

Clemson plays Wofford because it is a school in South Carolina. That would be the equivalent of UM playing FAMU or B-CC, which on a single-game basis, I am not complaining about.

Then, citing future games with Florida, Alabama, Michigan State, and LSU is not some sort of fix-it on the overall concept of OOC scheduling.

Yes, OOC scheduling is important, and it is one of the few parts of his job where Blake should be making an effort. As an AD, he doesn't have to deal with 8 of our 12 football games, the ACC does it for him. Unlike most ADs, he doesn't have to deal with an on-campus football stadium. Blake doesn't even have as many sports teams, overall, as ADs do at most other Power 5 programs.

There is a laundry list of POWER FIVE schools that Miami has not played ever, or at least for decades. They don't all have to be SEC powerhouses either. I've listed these out before.

Big 10 - Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern, Iowa, and Minnesota are all schools that would not give us an impossible SOS. Add in Rutgers and Maryland for "old-rivals-reuniting" purposes.

Big 12 - Iowa State, Kansas, Texas Tech, K-State, Baylor, TCU are all less-imposing than the SEC powerhouses. Add in West Virginia, same as Rutgers and Maryland.

Pac 12 - Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Oregon State, Utah, Washington State...****, we haven't played USC since the 1960s.

I know that someone will cherry-pick to say "hey, we played K-State recently". Whatever, that's not the point, I'm just naming a ton of schools who we could make a regular effort towards scheduling. These are all teams that would be more interesting and attractive than WAGNER, and would sell both home and away tickets.

By the way, the Orlando kickoff game is NOT going to be held in 2020. I'm not saying that it's ideal to play in the game in back-to-back years, but I spoke to someone on Florida Citrus Sports, and they prefer to have a regional "host" team, which they do not have at this time, so they are not having the game next year. Would have been great to have Blake step up and say "yeah, we'll play in Orlando for 2 straight years, and let's get Southern Cal to come down". I'm not saying it would be a certainty, but Blake doesn't even try.

Ok, have fun tilting at windmills.

The simple matter of fact is that our OOC scheduling is not substantially different than the vast majority of top 25 programs. When we start winning 10-12+ games a year and our SOS becomes a detriment to us winning a national championship, I will happily join your cause. Until then, we have more pressing concerns.

Here is Florida’s 2020 OOC (non-P5 schedule)

Eastern Washington
South Alabama
New Mexico State

All at home of course.

What’s the difference?

Any questions?
CANES schedule OOC >>>>Gaytors OOC

Mich St away >>>>> anything Gaytors have done away non-conference

Wagner ~=Eastern Washington
UAB >>> South Alabama
Temple >>>New Mexico Stat

Advertisement
I’d love to see Miami and every team do that. Saban had a great idea a few years ago, he said the NCAA should mandate you can’t play FCS teams if you’re in the P5, you can only play 1 G5 team, and the rest should be P5 games. But obviously nobody does that. As far as Miami, I want what you’re saying only because as a fan, I want more big games every fall. But strategically, it doesn’t make sense. Yes, the Coastal blows. But the ACC is still a big time league. If Miami wins that league, it’s almost certainly in the playoff. So what’s the advantage of playing a crazy OOC schedule? 11-1 or 10-2 with a win in Charlotte is going to get you in the playoffs 99 times out of 100, so there’s no incentive to schedule multiple P5 OOC games. Especially when no one else does either.
It's the offseason. Running around like your hair is on fire just helps pass the time. Don't ruin it for them.

Watch out for Temple. They’ll come in highly motivated with revenge on their minds since UM stole 2 of their head coaches recently. It’s gonna be a war.

im fine with the wagners of the world as long as its not a home and home. we already have MSU that year and im fine w just that.

Advertisement
Back