Miami fan raises $1.5K to fly 'Fire Al Golden' banner at VT

theibisrules

Senior
Miami fan raises $1.5K to fly 'Fire Al Golden' banner at VT game

Al Golden's four years at Miami have been fraught with disappointment, and its 4-3 start to the 2014 season is no exception. One fan is so fed up with the performance of the Hurricanes' football program that he has started a fundraising campaign in hopes of hiring a plane to fly a banner carrying the message "Fire Al Golden" in Blacksburg, Va. on Saturday, where the 'Canes are set to take on the Virginia Tech Hokies. name withheld, the angry Miami fan in question, has already met his $1,580 fundraising goal just four days after it launched. The donation page says that the banner will be flown between 5:30 and 6:15 p.m., a few hours before the 8 p.m. kickoff.

Despite recruiting near the top of the ACC during every year -- even amid the once-grave threat of NCAA penalties -- the on-field product for the Hurricanes has consistently fallen well short of expectations. In fact, the 'Canes have still never won the ACC Coastal, a division they were expected to dominate when they joined the league in 2004. Miami tied for first place in the Coastal Division in 2012 but voluntarily withdrew from postseason competition in order to curry favor with the NCAA, which was investigating Miami's athletics department at the time.

Golden has a 26-18 overall record as Miami's head coach and a 14-13 record against conference opponents. Prior to coming to Miami, Golden turned around a once-desolate Temple program, posting back-to-back winning seasons with the Owls in 2009 and 2010.

tumblr_n3x5q7yziv1rcqq8co1_500.gif

Advertisement
I wish the ******** that write these articles would understand its not one fan. Its many fans that are fed up, coming together for the love of the program and making their voices heard.

Last edited:
I mean it's pretty funny. Imagine going to your stadium and the other team flying a banner to get their coach fired. It might not make a difference to the admins but it will be funny and will be noticed by everyone else, especially since it is a night game on thursday

Advertisement
The game Thursday at 8 but i love the fact we are doing these banner i donated a $100.00 dollars myself i will donate the same amount for every banner until Al Golden is fire we need to keep the full court press going it will end a successful firing we have to keep boycotting the home game and taking a stand we will not accept average from UM....

Advertisement
Eh. I'm pretty sure Golden will find a firing on his own merit. But I do think that the more of this we see the more toxic the job gets for a guy with options--which puts us in a position to hire the next Al Golden.

I will be at the game making fun of this stupid idea, along with most in attendance I imagine. Will be a good time.

Advertisement
I gotta wonder what VT fans think about this.

I think it's the prefect follow up to the Cincy one.

Advertisement
I mean it's pretty funny. Imagine going to your stadium and the other team flying a banner to get their coach fired. It might not make a difference to the admins but it will be funny and will be noticed by everyone else, especially since it is a night game on thursday

its over the top and thats the whole point. F/A/G is historically bad, which requires unheard of actions

Advertisement
Back