MEGA Miami Fan Attendance -Discussion

Could be wrong but I don't think our season ticket sales have ever approached anything close to 50,000. Who knows how they make up those wacky attendance numbers.
I don't know what the numbers were back in the day but as recently as the Mark Richt era, they were selling over 40,000 season tickets.

Advertisement
Sure it does. It's just that we've been the 'bad team' more often than not.
Again, BS. I sat in the stands many times when we were highly ranked and there were empty seats everywhere. Its not a new issue, and its not because of losing. Like someone posted here, the pic of the mostly empty Orange Bowl when we were #1 in the country and playing Temple.

I don't know what the numbers were back in the day but as recently as the Mark Richt era, they were selling over 40,000 season tickets.
Mark Richt had the team out in the community. He even had a scrimmage up here in Palm Beach at Oxbridge Academy. Miami has to get out there and ill die on that hill. We got fans in South FL and we have to connect with them again. Some way. That GT game with Langham circus catch was a early game and that turn out was pretty good.

I dont expect full sell out like some are thinking am saying. Last night and other recent turn outs can be much better.

If i travel through anywhere from palm beach through central and north FL, there are seminole and gator stuff in pretty much every gas station and corner store. I wanted to get a shirt less than a mile from Hard Rock, i couldn't find shyyt. Thats one thing. Also i use tv or radio ads as an example. As a Jamaican i find out about alot of parties when i got the restaurants and see flyers for all kinda events. Miami should do these things, also barber shops with the schedule and Kam etc on it. How much would it cost them? If they keep doing the same bull of course nothing will not change. That's the whole point. We got fans, they simply want to go to the big games.

LOL - I guess you don’t understand how retail stocking works. I’m not even in that business, and I know it’s not “oh, let’s just put our stuff in every store”. You don’t have much of a head for that business, that’s OK. I’m not a expert on everything and neither are you, especially when it comes to getting things in retail.

Advertisement
Yes, however I don't have audit rights, so I don't know for sure. I'm not going to have a debate on degree of accuracy of my statement as I don't know how many season ticket holders are there. I spent about 90 seconds googling and couldn't come across a simple answer. This is not a new phenomenon. The Marlins under the Samson/Loria reign of terror were masters at this.
It is hard to even get an estimate of UM football season ticket holders. It sticks in my mind that I read on this Board ahile ago that the number for this season was less than 20,000. If I wasn't dreaming that, I have no idea how that poster arrived at that number.

A number of years ago UM basketball announced a complete season sellout for the Watsco Arena on campus. That's around 9200 seats.

Yet, with one or two exceptions, the place was never more than half full, often less. Again, for a game where they had maybe 4,000 people actually in the stands, it was hard to believe that 5,000+ would simply have chosen (despite having already paid for tickets) to stay home. That, again, is an awfully high percentage of no-shows. Makes you wonder.

When people have actually already paid for tickets, it's not usual for a high percentage to not show up. They sell or give away those tix. Just by an eye test, its hard to reconcile the announced attendance with the actual azzes in seats.

If yall notice i put alot of it on the university. I dont think they are doing enough to market the team and also i said i would reduce the capacity of the stadium. The excuses i hear just makes my point, culture and mindset. Its Bethune, its Thursday, alum. Put me in charge of it and see how quickly them excuses go out the window.

I would block of whole sections and put projectors there. Billboards in every zip code. Radio spots. Bomb the local stores and kids games.

How many casual fans even knew Miami was playing? This is what makes marketing important

Condensing the crowd makes sense. 40,000 is a solid crowd when there isn’t all that empty space in the lower levels. I know there maybe an argument for devaluing tickets, but we shouldn’t let the stadium look like that.

We might not be Michigan, but there are solutions to do better. Just have to prioritize it.

Went to the game last night. Lets say i was highly disappointed in the turn out. I dont too care for what the media and rival fans say but i want the players to feel the love every game, V FSU or v Bethune.

If you live out of state or way up central and north FL, this is not about u. The money out of state fans have to spend to get to 1 game, dwarfs what local fans need to spend on season tickets.

Miami fans game attendance comes down to culture and mindset. Miami Dade population is 2.6 mill as of 2021, Broward is 1.9 mill and palm beach county is 1.5 mill. Roughly 6 million people live within 1 hour of Hard Rock stadium. Miami is a national program. Not getting 55-60k every week is culture and mindset.

I do put alot of it on the University. They do a really poor job of marketing the program. Why dont they bomb local gas stations and corner stores with canes gear and memorabilia, billboards, radio spots.

So FL has a higher median income than most small college towns. We can claim that other university have more alums than Miami, thats true. But Miami also attracts more fans that have no affiliation with the university because of brand recognition. The University is not maximizing the brand recognition.

In addition to the marketing i spoke of, i would reduce the capacity of Hard Rock and make the tickets more scarce.

This is gonna be the last negative fodder rivals and media use against us. We need to change it and stop making excuses.

Not because its been one way doesnt mean it always has to be that way. It only remain that way if we do the same thing. Winning alone wont bring fans. I seen clips of 2001 and there were 40k v Syracuse

Btw when i say market the team. Play on the hometown all american. There should be a billboard all over SO FL of Kam, James. They are not doing enough.
I will be very judgy of our fanbase if we don't come close to filling it on 10/7 vs. GT. Absolutely MASSIVE conference opener. No excuse at all.

Advertisement
It is hard to even get an estimate of UM football season ticket holders. It sticks in my mind that I read on this Board ahile ago that the number for this season was less than 20,000. If I wasn't dreaming that, I have no idea how that poster arrived at that number.

A number of years ago UM basketball announced a complete season sellout for the Watsco Arena on campus. That's around 9200 seats.

Yet, with one or two exceptions, the place was never more than half full, often less. Again, for a game where they had maybe 4,000 people actually in the stands, it was hard to believe that 5,000+ would simply have chosen (despite having already paid for tickets) to stay home. That, again, is an awfully high percentage of no-shows. Makes you wonder.
Your last paragraph pretty much confirms my assessment, no?

Seems like you're a little mind boggled about how so many people could essentially abandon their tickets. Applying old school logic, I see why you feel that way. However, when you consider that there are a lot of dumb people who make more than they should, the ticket resale market, and sprinkle in some Miami, voila! It's not uncommon for folks to buy concert season tickets at some venue, hold on to the events they want to go to, then sell the others. I'm certain the same concept is at work for some when it comes to Canes football. Assuming that exists, I can't imagine tickets to BC vs UM would sell much.

For the 2018 season, we sold out the 48,000 season ticket allotment. The rest are divided among general public and the away allocation. Our issue is RARELY not selling enough tickets; it's that the fans don't physically find their way inside.

This is why our fans who want tarping will never see that happen: we actually sell too many tickets for that to make sense.

Could be wrong but I don't think our season ticket sales have ever approached anything close to 50,000. Who knows how they make up those wacky attendance numbers.
We sold 48000 season tickets for the 2018 season. The record for season ticket sales is 57000 for 1990.

Your last paragraph pretty much confirms my assessment, no?

Seems like you're a little mind boggled about how so many people could essentially abandon their tickets. Applying old school logic, I see why you feel that way. However, when you consider that there are a lot of dumb people who make more than they should, the ticket resale market, and sprinkle in some Miami, voila! It's not uncommon for folks to buy concert season tickets at some venue, hold on to the events they want to go to, then sell the others. I'm certain the same concept is at work for some when it comes to Canes football. Assuming that exists, I can't imagine tickets to BC vs UM would sell much.
Yep. And, you nailed me on the generational thing. My own grown kids have a different concept of the value of things than I do. As I had a different perspective, I'm sure, than my parents who were young kids in the Great Depression.

Whatever the case, there is obviously a very big difference between the official announced paid gate and people in seats. Anyone with eyes can see that.

Advertisement
We sold 48000 season tickets for the 2018 season. The record for season ticket sales is 57000 for 1990.
Do ya know what the sold season tickets number is for this season?

Saw last night's attendance was counted at 40,077. Any idea what the actual bodies-in-seats count was? Less than half of that?

When people have actually already paid for tickets, it's not usual for a high percentage to not show up. They sell or give away those tix. Just by an eye test, its hard to reconcile the announced attendance with the actual azzes in seats.
I know. I had season tickets with a group off friends for twenty years. We had an extra ticket almost every week. I could rarely find anyone to take one for free most of the time.

This is really a good post. I appreciate the grown man conversation.

I am an out of state guy.

I have one question for you Miami folks.

In the city of Miami,

Is the University of Miami TRULY that city’s team? What i mean by that is, how involved is the school with the community in large OUTSIDE of Coral Gables?

Are there opportunities for inner city youth to attend programs at Miami? Camps (athletic and academic)? Does the school allow youth football games at the school on the practice fields? Like how often do inner city programs say “thanks you” to The University of Miami for sponsorship, mentorship, donations etc…

At Duke, they are getting ready to do the following:

Beginning in fall 2023, Duke University will cover the tuition of undergraduate students from North Carolina and South Carolina whose families earn $150,000 or less a year.

Does Miami offer something similar?
Duke's average attendance was under 25K last year, so if that is your program model for attendance, it is not working so well.

Advertisement
Duke's average attendance was under 25K last year, so if that is your program model for attendance, it is not working so well.
Well as he said something they are getting ready to do so at this point he's sharing an interesting and valid idea that you were throwing away.

I I don't think a program like that would be introduce for the sake of improving game attendance. I do however think that more students that actually live nearby would certainly drive more community interests in the program. Certainly a nonzero impact on attendant would be expected.

Yep. And, you nailed me on the generational thing. My own grown kids have a different concept of the value of things than I do. As I had a different perspective, I'm sure, than my parents who were young kids in the Great Depression.

Whatever the case, there is obviously a very big difference between the official announced paid gate and people in seats. Anyone with eyes can see that.
Preach. I have grown/growing kids too. I often catch myself repeating the same annoying (yet true) things that my folks used to tell me regarding the value of things. C'est la vie I suppose. Keep the faith and Go Canes!

Do ya know what the sold season tickets number is for this season?

Saw last night's attendance was counted at 40,077. Any idea what the actual bodies-in-seats count was? Less than half of that?
I do not know sold tickets for this year.

Advertisement
Back