Miami/Clemson Game Jan 3 Thread

I don't understand that... this Canes basketball would be one of the best NIL investments. Better than football, considering the type of basketball we play and the stellar results...
The Canes are a fun team to watch.
100%. The potential percentage ROI on basketball can be insane. Basketball programs cost far less than football programs.

I'm awars that the cumulative coin isn't what football revenues are, but basketball can be far more marginally profitable.

Advertisement
I wouldn't count on Wooga playing for a few weeks
It's a sprained ankle, not a broken foot. They may hold him out the next game and get him back out there next week, or depending on how he tests out, he may play this weekend.

We have more than enough scoring potential in our first 6... mix and match.
The bench really needs to give us some active physical shutdown defense and we will content come March.

It is, but don’t let the truth get in the way of the narrative.

The actual reality is we are competitive with NIL but we’re not overflowing with cash like Kansas, Duke, Kentucky, UNC, (even) Indiana, etc.

We held our own but weren’t in a position to “buy” an additional high level big.

Canes Collective is available for anyone who wants to help in that area. Every donation makes a difference.

Advertisement
George needs to start and Joseph needs to provide the spark off the bench. When Watson went in for Joseph in the second half the game changed and they never looked back. When Joseph was reinserted, he played with the same intensity off the bench that he had last year, every time he entered the game, which sealed the game last night.

Lack of NIL is the reason why there is no backup for Omier.
This has been my take since early in the season. We need the length and a real playmaker , especially at the 1. He’s a good passer.

George needs to start and Joseph needs to provide the spark off the bench. When Watson went in for Joseph in the second half the game changed and they never looked back. When Joseph was reinserted, he played with the same intensity off the bench that he had last year, every time he entered the game, which sealed the game last night.

Lack of NIL is the reason why there is no backup for Omier.
Not uncommon for a HC to make adjustments to his starting lineup at the beginning or right before conference play begins. In addition, right before conference tournament is another window that coaches soemtimes use to make changes to their lineups as well. We shall see.

As for your 'Lack of NIL" comment... I'm not privy to the inner dealings of how are NIL is being broken down into but I think the bigger factor could be that it's much more difficult to get a good big to come in and be happy coming off the bench. I think that could've been more of the reason rather than money.

Last edited:
As for your 'Lack of NIL" comment... I'm not privy to the inner dealings of how are NIL is being broken down into but I think the bigger factor could be that it's much more difficult to get a good big to come in and be happy coming off the bench. I think that could've been more of the reason rather than money.

I think that is absolutely right but we are also not raining NIL like some other schools that are getting 5* bench players. We’re not at all poor, but NIL also isn’t flooding the program like at some other schools.

Advertisement
The actual reality is we are competitive with NIL but we’re not overflowing with cash like Kansas, Duke, Kentucky, UNC, (even) Indiana, etc.

We held our own but weren’t in a position to “buy” an additional high level big.

Canes Collective is available for anyone who wants to help in that area. Every donation makes a difference.
Exactly, Miami isn’t going to spend 1.5 million for a big like ****inson. Miami NIL is competitive but contrary to popular belief, Miami cannot flat out buy a champion.

Advertisement
Where are you getting this lack of NIL narrative from? I think it’s complete BS.
At least 6 so called big guys came for visits, some from smaller programs, and did not sign. If they had more NIL money, at least one would have signed. Have you seen Life Wallet stock lately, barely above 2. John Ruiz was the major NIL player in the basketball program, and unfortunately his fortune turned bad.

At least 6 so called big guys came for visits, some from smaller programs, and did not sign. If they had more NIL money, at least one would have signed. Have you seen Life Wallet stock lately, barely above 2. John Ruiz was the major NIL player in the basketball program, and unfortunately his fortune turned bad.
All the available evidence and common sense suggests you are correct, but the swarm here prefers to think it's PT or some other obtuse reason. Good luck winning this debate, you'll need it.

Yes I still believe they’re trying to extract too much from not a whole lot
What a foolish take.

- George has an NBA ceiling
- Wooga is an NBA prospect
-Omier , despite his lack of height, could find his way onto a roster or at worst be a star overseas
- Cleveland could be an NBA prospect or at least start out in the G league or whatever it’s called these days
- Pack and Joseph will make a living overseas

“Not a whole lot”

Advertisement
It's amazing how people pull narratives out of their asses, and then think it's accurate. Ruiz was the LOUDEST voice in regards to basketball NIL, he sure as **** wasn't the ONLY voice. The money wasn't the issue, playing time for some of the guys that visited was. As I said before, Miami has competitive NIL, but there's no way this donor pool will be paying big money for a guy that isn't going to be a difference maker. Miami needed another rotational big, you don't spend huge money for that, especially if it's not a guy you are totally sold on.

All the available evidence and common sense suggests you are correct, but the swarm here prefers to think it's PT or some other obtuse reason. Good luck winning this debate, you'll need it.
Available evidence? It's a narrative that isn't supported by anything. Ruiz is a loudmouth, so people think that he was the only dude chipping in, when that wasn't the case. Explain how guys like Wooga and others have managed to get NIL money, despite Ruiz being broke(Allegedly). Explain how L was able to land one of the highest rated recruiting classes in program history, if Ruiz is the only major NIL guy, and he's tapped out? You think those incoming freshmen are coming for free? Of course not. As has been said multiple times, Miami has competitive NIL, but the collectives aren't bottomless. This isn't Kentucky, Duke or some of the other blue bloods, where they will spend whatever it takes, because they don't spend a dime on other sports. Miami is one of the few schools that actively tries to compete in multiple revenue sports, which stretches NIL money to the limit.

Pack,Omier and Cleveland were superb-Joseph had a great second half he’s a great defender too.
George, contributing as well can see why people are high on him.

Advertisement
Back