Miami/Clemson Game Jan 3 Thread

Everyone has known that for 2 years. Easier said than done.
Look I agree totally. I'm not saying we are going to get blown out every game from here on out. Omier did a very good job staying out of foul trouble and I saw at least 3 times where he moved out of the way and didnt commit a foul where earlier in the season he'd tried to hustle and picked it up. I mean, IDK about you but I didnt expect they would put up 95 without Wooga on the court. Their Team Defense was significantly improved and their dumb turnovers was significantly reduced. I just wish we had a second person on the team that was at least 50% of Omier.

Advertisement
George needs to start and Joseph needs to provide the spark off the bench. When Watson went in for Joseph in the second half the game changed and they never looked back. When Joseph was reinserted, he played with the same intensity off the bench that he had last year, every time he entered the game, which sealed the game last night.

Lack of NIL is the reason why there is no backup for Omier.

Also, while this win was awesome, in my opinion it highlights to every team we’ll have to play the rest of the year what our true weakness is. Get Omier in foul trouble and you basically win the game. We just dropped 95 on a team that was quickly becoming the talk of the ACC without our lock NBA draft player Wooga ever touching the court. However, the second Omier leaves the court its like our team gets their soul sucked out of them. Our flaws are much easier for other teams to exploit this year and its massively frustrating to watch when teams like Kentucky and Colorado are successful at it. Throw some Tabaco Road/Blueblood refs into the mix…. Oof.
That is no different than last season. He was our only physical inside presence last year and that remains true this time around.

Considering that he's our lone "big," often battling/helping out on a much bigger front line, he does a great job of avoiding foul trouble. It ain't easy when the opponent has three guys 6'9 or taller and we've got Norchard at 6'5 1/2, and a couple athletic (but not particularly strong) 6'7 players.

George needs to start and Joseph needs to provide the spark off the bench. When Watson went in for Joseph in the second half the game changed and they never looked back. When Joseph was reinserted, he played with the same intensity off the bench that he had last year, every time he entered the game, which sealed the game last night.

Where are you getting this lack of NIL narrative from? I think it’s complete BS.

Advertisement

I don't understand that... this Canes basketball would be one of the best NIL investments. Better than football, considering the type of basketball we play and the stellar results...
The Canes are a fun team to watch.

Last edited:
1704374141657.png

1704374181001.png

1704374235528.png

Prior to the game, I didn't see us winning against Clemson w/out Wooga but ... really nice to see our guys dominate a second half (instead of getting dominated as with Kentucky and Colorado). What an offensive display. Clemson plays defense like we do.

This season is gonna be about outscoring the opponent in high scoring games. Don't see much ability to clamp down on opponents. But .. that's fan-pleasing and exciting basketball.

A performance like last night will have Wooga wanting to rush back (he shouldn't). We need him fully healthy when he takes the floor.

Pack is a different player when he aggressively looks for his shot (as opposed to floating around the perimeter hoping for a screen). His mid-range game was outstanding against Clemson.

The starters were ALL great, and all pretty much played 30 minutes or more! Can't say much for any bench player. Pretty much a total zero line across the board. There's a huge gap between our six in the rotation and the next guy, whether that's Watson or Casey. Very disappointing, if not that surprising based on last season.

Advertisement
Last night in 2nd half was the first night all year I said to myself “this looks like an L team”

We were active as **** defensively and on the glass. Special shout-out to Bensley picking up full in 2nd half and giving them fits.

I’m very hopeful we turned the corner end of December And we will continue to get better like we always do come March

That is no different than last season. He was our only physical inside presence last year and that remains true this time around.

Considering that he's our lone "big," often battling/helping out on a much bigger front line, he does a great job of avoiding foul trouble. It ain't easy when the opponent has three guys 6'9 or taller and we've got Norchard at 6'5 1/2, and a couple athletic (but not particularly strong) 6'7 players.
I feel like like the big difference from last year is missing someone on the team who could Iso like Wong could. 100% we were in trouble if Omier got into foul trouble. But Wong was able to go 20+ points off the bounce by himself. Wong taking the ball to the hoop all racked up a lot of fouls on the other team which slowed them down. If Omier isn't in our offence basically devolves to 3 pointers or nothing.

If we can get some significant defensive minutes from our bench, the offense will take care of itself... Thats where we need Casey and Watson to show up the most.

Last edited:
Advertisement
During the impressive second half, Miami shot 75 percent (21 of 28) from the field, 4 of 5 from 3 and 14 of 15 from the free-throw line with 10 assists to just five turnovers. Three starters--Omier, Cleveland and George--played all 20 minutes in the second half while only one reserve, Christian Watson, came off the bench. The ball moved extremely well as they cut down on their dribbling, which needed to be done and it was stressed by Larranaga and the coaching staff during the break, and the team responded led by Nijel Pack's 20 second-half points with Cleveland adding 16. Pack played off the ball more in the second half and found his shots much easier either off high pick-and-roll sets, stepping into areas in the mid-range and receiving passes, or getting off quick shots with his feet set off minimal dribbles.

Prior to the game, I didn't see us winning against Clemson w/out Wooga but ... really nice to see our guys dominate a second half (instead of getting dominated as with Kentucky and Colorado). What an offensive display. Clemson plays defense like we do.

This season is gonna be about outscoring the opponent in high scoring games. Don't see much ability to clamp down on opponents. But .. that's fan-pleasing and exciting basketball.

A performance like last night will have Wooga wanting to rush back (he shouldn't). We need him fully healthy when he takes the floor.

Pack is a different player when he aggressively looks for his shot (as opposed to floating around the perimeter hoping for a screen). His mid-range game was outstanding against Clemson.

The starters were ALL great, and all pretty much played 30 minutes or more! Can't say much for any bench player. Pretty much a total zero line across the board. There's a huge gap between our six in the rotation and the next guy, whether that's Watson or Casey. Very disappointing, if not that surprising based on last season.
Agreed with everything you said except I think you’re selling Watson short. His stat line isn’t impressive, but he handled the situation well and played sound D. We don’t necessarily need him to score much or take a ton of shots right now unless he’s open.

Advertisement
Agreed with everything you said except I think you’re selling Watson short. His stat line isn’t impressive, but he handled the situation well and played sound D. We don’t necessarily need him to score much or take a ton of shots right now unless he’s open.
We'll see soon enough on Watson's value. He played 19 minutes last night -- half the game. As u say, we don't need him to score but we could use more than just 3 defensive rebounds (zero points) in that amount of court time.

He's clearly moved himself ahead of Casey as the second man off the bench when Wooga returns. But .... there's a chasm between George/Joseph (whoever is 6th man) and Watson at this point. At least, his trajectory is up, which we needed to see from someone on the bench.

We won’t win many games with 0 bench points
A little deceiving when your best (NBA) player is out with injury.

We’re never going to get a lot of scoring from our 3 man (reduced to 2 last night) bench and it’s been that way for 3 years and worked out fine.

I feel like like the big difference from last year is missing someone on the team who could Iso like Wong could. 100% we were in trouble if Omier got into foul trouble. But Wong was able to go 20+ points off the bounce by himself. Wong taking the ball to the hoop all racked up a lot of fouls on the other team which slowed them down. If Omier isn't in our offence basically devolves to 3 pointers or nothing.

Wong's penetration also created double teams allowing him to kickout, usually to Pack, for easy uncontested threes.

Pack is not getting many open look threes this year because we just don't have a penetrator like Wong this year. Pack is really having to earn his points this season.

Advertisement
Back