Miami at Clemson Wed, Feb 14, 5:00 PM MSTon ESPN2

Any shred of hope we had left is gone. This season is officially over.
I just hope George, Omier, and Pack, Bensley come back. But my guess is only George and BJ will be back. We will need to hit the portal hard in the off-season. I like Cleveland too but I bet he goes in the draft. I think this might be the most underachieving miami bball team ever under Coach L. Extremely disappointing in so many ways. Thats why we need to temper our expectations going into every season. After two seasons in a row where we made at least the elite eight, we got big headed and players forgot about the team and thought about only the individual accolades.

Here's hoping that Bethea ends up being another Lonnie Walker or a superstar. We could use another guy like that who can drive and split the D and create his own shot like Wong to take the pressure off the rest of the team.

Advertisement
Disgusting late game performance by everyone involved, coaches and players.

Miami up 6 with 9 minutes left, 17 point loss.

Coach L playing Pack when he has zero impact was costly.

Wooga is lost.

Cleveland is lost.

Bensley is what he is.

Only Omier and George have any impact on the game.

None of the pieces fit.

Nobody who can carry the team in crunch time or penetrate (Wong).

Nobody who can lead and provide help inside (Miller).

And horrible recruiting has lead to a nonexistent bench.
Sad but pretty spot on. But I have to admit last night was more of the same of what we have seen most of the year. Although Omier and George are clearly our best players out there. Omier can't do it all and we put too much pressure on him due to inability to develop or recruit other capable big men. Coach L needs to start changing in that regard.

I just hope George, Omier, and Pack, Bensley come back. But my guess is only George and BJ will be back. We will need to hit the portal hard in the off-season. I like Cleveland too but I bet he goes in the draft. I think this might be the most underachieving miami bball team ever under Coach L. Extremely disappointing in so many ways. Thats why we need to temper our expectations going into every season. After two seasons in a row where we made at least the elite eight, we got big headed and players forgot about the team and thought about only the individual accolades.

Here's hoping that Bethea ends up being another Lonnie Walker or a superstar. We could use another guy like that who can drive and split the D and create his own shot like Wong to take the pressure off the rest of the team.
Personally, I'm fine with watching Pack go. I'd actually prefer it. I think he's the leading contributor the decline of the culture of this team. The way he plays basketball is all about him, and when he sucks he just absolutely brings the team morale down.

Pack has been hurt majority of the season, its obvious he isn't healthy. He is a 2 guard that is trying to play PG.

Everyone is saying all these players are leaving to go pro? Where, Europe? The only player getting drafted right now on this squad is George, and someone may throw a flier on Omier late in 2nd.

Poplar and Cleveland aren't getting drafted at this point, and with NIL now these players can make more in college than playing overseas or in D league.

What a strategy. Just keep chucking and bricking 3 after 3...
The current state of basketball. Play "Five Out" and everyone just sprints to their place around the 3 point arc and fires it up

Often the strategy of both teams. Who needs bigs or PGs anymore (except as an afterthought)? Not a pretty game to watch, even when the ball is going in fairly regularly.

Advertisement
Pack has been hurt majority of the season, its obvious he isn't healthy. He is a 2 guard that is trying to play PG.

Everyone is saying all these players are leaving to go pro? Where, Europe? The only player getting drafted right now on this squad is George, and someone may throw a flier on Omier late in 2nd.

Poplar and Cleveland aren't getting drafted at this point, and with NIL now these players can make more in college than playing overseas or in D league.
George might be a 2nd Rounder. Maybe. No big pay day for him at this point.

Omier is never in a million years being drafted by an NBA team. I love him and he’s been nothing short of legendary as a Hurricane but he is not playing basketball in the NBA. Every shot he takes would be swatted into the stands. He would have to learn a completely new position and he would likely foul out within 10 mins of play time.

He could be a G league player in some small town where no one looks like him or he can come back one more year.

I don't see any chance of Omier returning. George could be gone too. Those are the only two players on the roster with any redeeming value. We now know who Poplar and Cleveland are.

So L could be stuck with no returning impact players.

A great recruiting class in 2024 (we think), but a massive rebuild in the portal because of the horrid talent evaluation the last two recruiting classes.

L needs to find 3 impact big men in the portal which will be damned near impossible as big men don't typically come to UM.

Then we need to find a point guard to lead the offense for the two wing guard freshman who supposedly shoot the lights out. Bensley, if he doesn't hit the portal, will still be around for the experience factor.

But ****, L has a big job reconstructing this roster. Does he really want to go through this at this point in his career. Clearly, he is disgusted with the season.
Nwoko will be much better next year. There will be plenty of good 4s available in the portal who want to play a lot of minutes. We can find a solid 5 who is more of a rim protector and can give us 8 and 8. Who was coming to Miami with Omier? If Cleveland leaves, it will be via the portal. Wooga has played himself out of the draft.

Omier is never in a million years being drafted by an NBA team. I love him and he’s been nothing short of legendary as a Hurricane but he is not playing basketball in the NBA. Every shot he takes would be swatted into the stands. He would have to learn a completely new position and he would likely foul out within 10 mins of play time.

He could be a G league player in some small town where no one looks like him or he can come back one more year.
He'll make a **** load of money in Europe.

Advertisement
If anyone is still holding out hope for a late regular season run and/or an ACC Tourney win, speak up so we can all laugh derisively in your general direction.

The Simpsons GIF by MOODMAN

That aside, while we had our chances against Clemple last night, there's a lot of things that led to the downfall. They've been gone over ad nauseum here so I'm not gonna restate them...but it was like they all hit at once in the last like 8'ish minutes of the game.

My focus now for this program is for Coach L and his staff (should it stay intact) to figure out what pieces of the current roster he wants to keep versus what guys he wants to invite to leave. Figure out who your core guys are for next year, and use the portal for either upgrading or building quality depth around that core. If Coach L is who I think/hope he is, this roster's gonna look pretty markedly different next season. Should he trot pretty much this roster plus the incoming freshmen out next season, I'll be pretty upset/disappointed.

I didn't watch a second of the game last night for the first time in a while. Checked the score before I went to bed and said, "Yep, saved myself a headache".

What a nightmare this year is. Can we forfeit the rest of the season to just save the embarrassment? I'm really not looking forward to losing to Georgia Tech at noon on a Wednesday in Greenboro to officially end the season. Let's just call it a year now and everyone go get a tan.

Rant Alert!!!!

I was in a hospital bed last year and could not attend the final four. This year I am all healed up and we are not even going to get an invite. I am not asking for CJL to leave, but if this is all he can get, perhaps we need to hire our HC in waiting to help NOW!

Advertisement
Personally, I'm fine with watching Pack go. I'd actually prefer it. I think he's the leading contributor the decline of the culture of this team. The way he plays basketball is all about him, and when he sucks he just absolutely brings the team morale down.
Pack's insistence on playing point is probably the biggest problem with this team. He's a great 2 guard, and he was a great compliment to Wong, but he doesn't fit the construction of this year's team AT ALL

Pack doesn't fit with this current roster iteration but would next to a guy like Bethea. With that said, his body breaks down a lot and his play far too inconsistent to be trusted over the course of a season.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back