Miami Admin Remains the Problem

Advertisement
I’m just pointing out that hiring Al Golden was flawed because he “just didn’t get Miami.” People called his philosophy dependent on Big 10 type players.

So many of you people complaining forget that the grass will ALWAYS be greener on the other side of the fence.

Also, Manny Diaz never played for Miami and he worked out so well.
You’re missing my overall point by trying to be a literalist.

Manny didn’t play for Miami, but he was a Miami guy who was Richt’s DC, meaning he was another inside the program hire because he allegedly fit the culture & understood Miami.

Just because Al Folden didn’t work out doesn’t mean that the grass isn’t greener by going outside of the philosophy of only hiring Miami type guys will work. The idea that the only people who can Coach this program are Coaches who had some kinda connection to the program culturally, locally or as former players/coaches is downright idiotic & has literally failed every time.

Every Coach we’ve had since Dennis Erickson has been completely overrated & well in over their heads, but the solution to that problem is to continue to keep hiring the same prototype Coach every single time???

This program does nothing but make bad hires that are designed to evoke nostalgic emotions based on some lopsided ideal of the past. Football IQ & actual Coaching acumen are never taken into account, the hires are always about recruiting or familiarity & it’s landed us exactly where we are now.

Last edited:

Manny didn’t play for Miami, but he was a Miami guy who was Richt’s DC, meaning he was another inside the program hire because he allegedly fit the culture & understood Miami.

Just because Al Folden didn’t work out doesn’t mean that the grass isn’t greener by going outside of the philosophy of only hiring Miami type guys will work. The idea that the only people who can Coach this program are Coaches who had some kinda connection to the program culturally, locally or as former players/coaches is downright idiotic & has literally failed every time.

Every Coach we’ve had since Dennis Erickson has been completely overrated & well in over their heads, but the solution to that problem is to continue to keep hiring the same prototype Coach every single time???

This program does nothing but make bad hires that are designed to evoke nostalgic emotions based on some lopsided ideal of the past. Football IQ & actual Coaching acumen are never taken into account, the hires are always about recruiting or familiarity & it’s landed exactly where we are now.
What were your expectations for this team prior to the season?

Disagree.
Willing to spend more $, getting Zo and Rad is a huge positive change. When time to move on from Mario, I have more faith that Rad will make the right move than previous ADs.
I was never sold on Mario, but we’ll see. He’ll have a couple more years regardless. At least he’ll bring in some good players.

This is a serious question.

What did Rad accomplish in his hires at Clemson that makes one think he'll make the right move? I don't recall them being anything special in anything but football.

There's also this contingent that believes Zo is some miracle worker. Well, I'm still waiting to see the miracles and maybe I've missed them. I like the guy, who doesn't, but everyone was Gung ho on Reed and down the line we all wondered what he did. So I'm asking, how has he been a difference maker? Perhaps he has and there's other factors in the way. He doesn't have any experience at this level, it's far different than the NFL, other than being a Miami guy who didn't have a job and played here forever ago.

People on this board always trump up whoever we hire. At least Steele and Strong had credentials, but that experiment failed here. I said early on that name recognition mean something and the coordinators we have, they aren't recognized at the level we want to recruit. Perhaps they end up great, we'll see, but there's still questions.

Mario same thing. If we've thought it, recruits have thought it far more as they aren't biased. Is our NIL game strong enough to bring the talent in to start winning games? If it isn't, he'll fail just like all the others. He hasn't won a meaningful game yet here and that first season, just wow.

Advertisement

This program does nothing but make bad hires that are designed to evoke nostalgic emotions based on some lopsided ideal of the past. Football IQ & actual Coaching acumen are never taken into account, the hires are always about recruiting or familiarity & it’s landed us exactly where we are now.
I certainly didn’t endorse Diaz but he certainly did not learn to coach at Miami.

Regardless, yes, the idea that only certain types can recruit in Miami is a running theme.

In any case we are pretty much out of Miami guys with HC experience so if we hire someone without HC experience, hopefully he is a non Miami guy and not one of our assistants again.

Not sure when many of you all will learn that this program will be nothing until the people pulling the actual strings are changed.

It’s not TVD. It’s not our coordinators. It’s not the refs. We have people in charge of this athletic department that continue to make decisions based on everything but truly the desire to win. Mario was hired here because he was “their guy.” We all know that we were keeping Manny but for Mario. Rudy Fernandez? What a ******* nerd. The **** does he know about successful CFB? Rad is clearly here collecting paychecks. Everyone from top to bottom is a ******* loser.

If you need another example, look at baseball. A once proud program that interviewed some very competent candidates only to turn around and hire the idiot who has been a large source of the problem. But yet again, Miami was more concerned with hiring “their guy” instead of who is the most competent.

Laranaga is the only real coach in the entire place and had to send us his wiki because the geniuses in the AD never heard of him.

And yet some of you all think a new QB solves our problems 💀
The Rad problem really reared it’s ugly head when he gave a contract extension to DiMare.

Then the hiring of pitching coach to then voting for admission to the ACC of Stanford, Cal and SMU.

He’s an issue I never expected to be one and some red flags were missed/ignored.

I do believe Mario wants nothing but the best for this program. The on-field product, admin issues aside, fall on him and I believe that despite the admin, he can turn this program around until proven otherwise that he can’t.

He won at Oregon. Got good players are Oregon. It could’ve gone better for him there and he sabotaged some of his own success but we would all give a left or right pinky for us to have the success he had at Oregon.

Very few UM fans have been more critical of the UM administration than me. That said, I cannot fault the administration on this one. Mario had so much support that it would've been career suicide for anyone at UM to have blocked his hiring. As well, Mario's resume was sufficient enough to get the job. Let's not act like he was a Coker-Randy-Manny type hire. Dude has successes on his resume.

And quite frankly, Im still a Mario supporter. I've a lot of good things since he's been here.

I wanted Mullin more than any other OC....His work with multiple outstanding CFB QBs is as good as it gets.

Yes. And if fans wanted to actually figure a way out this mess that didn't involve firing Cristobal (not going to happen) or trying to sign a portal QB who is going to get NFL level money and go to a more competitive team, they'd realize that this is still the best course of action.

I expect TVD will want to transfer to raise his draft stock instead of playing another year in another offense that doesn't suit him well. Dawson is better than Gattis, but he's predictable and uncreative. He's not doing TVD any favors. If Cristobal wants to get the fans back on his side, then it wouldn't take much. Figure out the number that would get Mullen to give us two years. Encourage Dawson to move on, and make the hire in December while there is still time to convince QB recruits to take another look.

Cristobal doesn't have to pay 10 million + for Murphy (who isn't going to pick UM) or get a 8th tier transfer to replace TVD. If Mullen says no, then we're hosed anyways.

Id also say fire Salavea and bring in Ed O for DTs but that might be taking my wishful thinking a bit too far.

Advertisement
I think the biggest administrative failure is the 10 year deal. That has the potential to be more crippling than the decision not to run a formal process.

The original poster is absolutely correct. I've always thought the problem was the president was calling too many inside runs. And his understanding of defensive Concepts was deficient

Advertisement
This is a serious question.

What did Rad accomplish in his hires at Clemson that makes one think he'll make the right move? I don't recall them being anything special in anything but football.

There's also this contingent that believes Zo is some miracle worker. Well, I'm still waiting to see the miracles and maybe I've missed them. I like the guy, who doesn't, but everyone was Gung ho on Reed and down the line we all wondered what he did. So I'm asking, how has he been a difference maker? Perhaps he has and there's other factors in the way. He doesn't have any experience at this level, it's far different than the NFL, other than being a Miami guy who didn't have a job and played here forever ago.

People on this board always trump up whoever we hire. At least Steele and Strong had credentials, but that experiment failed here. I said early on that name recognition mean something and the coordinators we have, they aren't recognized at the level we want to recruit. Perhaps they end up great, we'll see, but there's still questions.

Mario same thing. If we've thought it, recruits have thought it far more as they aren't biased. Is our NIL game strong enough to bring the talent in to start winning games? If it isn't, he'll fail just like all the others. He hasn't won a meaningful game yet here and that first season, just wow.
Not sure about a “Miracle Worker” but Zo has proven experience/track record, and identifying talent is critical. Reed was a fan-placating move when Diaz didn’t want Zo looking over his shoulder. Seems like this aspect was done right this time.

To your point, I may be proven wrong with Rad, but he does seem good with getting funds into athletics and spending them, which is half the battle. Hard to imagine him being worse than the last few ADs we had when it goes to hires. So yes, I already have more confidence with him.

And not to be Captain Obvious, but even if we’re all Miami fans we still have different opinions. I can’t speak for what “People on this board” previously said, as they’ve also said the opposite.

Only at Miami does the head coach get hired before the AD

Only at Miami does the head coach hire assistants before hiring the coordinators

Yes, the admin is dysfunctional.

The result is a dude that fronts as a coach, with a huge longterm contract, that is no smarter than a Chia pet and a team that takes on that dude's personality.
I understand that it’s more than just football but why would you hire a high price AD and not give that person the ability to hire the next critical head football coach?

I remember thinking “holy **** this better work”

Advertisement
People always blame the coaches and “development and schemes.” They would rather believe that than the obvious explanation… our players aren’t as good as people want to think they are.

We haven’t recruited good enough football players. We lost to UNC because they were just better. Flat out. More talented at the important spots.

Nobody wants to blame the “kids,” but it’s the kids who haven’t been getting it done for 20+ years. It’s mental mistakes combined with lack of size and athleticism.

Al Golden, Gattis, Manny, and even Richt were better before they came to Miami and also after. At some point, it’s not a coincidence.

The Rad problem really reared it’s ugly head when he gave a contract extension to DiMare.

Then the hiring of pitching coach to then voting for admission to the ACC of Stanford, Cal and SMU.

He’s an issue I never expected to be one and some red flags were missed/ignored.

I do believe Mario wants nothing but the best for this program. The on-field product, admin issues aside, fall on him and I believe that despite the admin, he can turn this program around until proven otherwise that he can’t.

He won at Oregon. Got good players are Oregon. It could’ve gone better for him there and he sabotaged some of his own success but we would all give a left or right pinky for us to have the success he had at Oregon.
Didn't Mario benefit from a down Pac-12 while he was at Oregon? I think the only other decent teams were Utah and Washington

I would take Urban Meyer in a heartbeat. That's how desperate I am. Sure we would probably be on probation again after he left but he would bring us at most 2 more titles.

I would take Urban Meyer in a heartbeat. That's how desperate I am. Sure we would probably be on probation again after he left but he would bring us at most 2 more titles.
1697411858914.png

You all are fighting the inevitable.
You can run.
You can hide.
You can try to shake it all you want.
But Stinky Pinky G-Urbo Meyer is coming.
#6OnTheWay #2Fingies1Ring :cool:

**Maybe my coRch will let yall coRch stick around as an OL coach.

Advertisement
Back