Stanford
Boston College
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
SMU
Rice
Tulane
Temple

Where would you compare Miami to the rest of these schools?

Pitt is a public school. Temple too. Penn State has historically been an undergrad (no-research) institution, and Pitt/Temple are research (grad school) institutions.

I would put Duke on the list, it is located in the Raleigh-Durham research triangle. May not be in as big a city as the others, but I would not classify it as rural.

Advertisement
Without looking at rankings, here is my gut based on people I know from those schools. Even as an alum, I once told a mother whose daughter was choosing between Johns Hopkins and Miami that, "Miami isn't a very good school." I didn't realize her daughter had already decided to attend Miami.

Stanford
Northwestern
Vandy
BC
USC
Rice (I know they have some really good programs, but don't know how they stack up broadly)
Pitt (ditto, also didn't know it was private)
Miami
SMU (very strong alumni network even if it is not highly ranked)
Tulane (think highly of themselves academically, I don't think they are actually that good)
Temple (I actually know nothing about Temple academically)

You could probably also include Duke, since the Raleigh Durham metro area is more populous than Nashville (although Nashville is much more concentrated).

When the **** did you graduate? I'm an '05 alum and my education was very good. Ended up being recruited alongside a bunch of Ivy grads.

Miami only accepts 1/3 of its applicants, avg. ACT score is 31 which is in the 95 percentile of all college applicants and is a very good score.

There is a reason a lot of very smart kids get turned away every year and it's because UM is a top notch university.

Throw in athletics and Inter cultural opportunities and It could be argued Miami is a top 10 university.

Advertisement
Overall- Miami, SC and SMU are the most similar. SMU clearly lacking in recent athletic success and in overall academic comparison but the most similar in city-life, affluent students, campus size, etc.

Academically, Rice is a better university than UM, as is Vanderbilt. Stanford is arguably one of the 5 best in the world...

UM is a GREAT school. Top-50 school is top 2-percentile for all universities, and top percentile if you include the 2-year Junior colleges.

UM's status is a huge advantage and will only increase in time. They manage UM exceedingly well. Miami is one of the global cities with the best growth potential!

Miami only accepts 1/3 of its applicants, avg. ACT score is 31 which is in the 95 percentile of all college applicants and is a very good score.

There is a reason a lot of very smart kids get turned away every year and it's because UM is a top notch university.

Throw in athletics and Inter cultural opportunities and It could be argued Miami is a top 10 university.

Part of the reason we only accept 1/3 is because we have so many kids who have absolutely no business applying, but they do just because they want to go to school in Miami and assume it isn't that hard to get into because of the old "suntan U nickname". I actually knew a ton of kids who applied to Miami with like C+ GPAs, however they weren't applying to schools like Penn St. because they knew they wouldn't get in because Penn St. has been good for decades. A lot of these kids who end up going to FIU, FAU, or Barry also applied which brings up the number of applicants.

The ACT score thing is also driven up a bit by kids who got into schools like Notre Dame or UNC, but chose Miami because they figured the benefit they would get from graduating from those schools does not outweigh the fun college experience they would get at Miami. Other schools don't really get that benefit. If you get into Penn State and Notre Dame. You go to ND because it will help you get a better job.

Finally, a smaller reason, but one to factor in. I knew at least 30 kids that got into some really elite schools like Duke and even a few kids that got into IVYs, but chose Miami because their parents owned massive businesses and they were going to work for them after so their degree didn't mean much and they would rather spend 4 years balling in South Beach than 4 years ******* around in NC.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Part of the reason we only accept 1/3 is because we have so many kids who have absolutely no business applying, but they do just because they want to go to school in Miami and assume it isn't that hard to get into because of the old "suntan U nickname". I actually knew a ton of kids who applied to Miami with like C+ GPAs, however they weren't applying to schools like Penn St. because they knew they wouldn't get in because Penn St. has been good for decades. A lot of these kids who end up going to FIU, FAU, or Barry also applied which brings up the number of applicants.

The ACT score thing is also driven up a bit by kids who got into schools like Notre Dame or UNC, but chose Miami because they figured the benefit they would get from graduating from those schools does not outweigh the fun college experience they would get at Miami. Other schools don't really get that benefit. If you get into Penn State and Notre Dame. You go to ND because it will help you get a better job.

Finally, a smaller reason, but one to factor in. I knew at least 30 kids that got into some really elite schools like Duke and even a few kids that got into IVYs, but chose Miami because their parents owned massive businesses and they were going to work for them after so their degree didn't mean much and they would rather spend 4 years balling in South Beach than 4 years ******* around in NC.

SC is full of kids like that.

Advertisement
I am sure there are. The point is schools like that are in the minority. I bet if you check USCs Standardized test scores they are higher than scores similarly ranked as well.

Don’t know about that SC is top 25 and it gets very competitive at the top. I’d love to see Miami crack the top 25 some day but until they have a real eng and com sci school it will never happen.

Left out Butler in the private school arena about same size as UM in the middle of Indianapolis
I think he's talking about schools that are competitive or can be competitive though I'm not sure Tulane really meets that standard either.

Advertisement
Back