Stanford
Boston College
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
SMU
Rice
Tulane
Temple

Where would you compare Miami to the rest of these schools?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Without looking at rankings, here is my gut based on people I know from those schools. Even as an alum, I once told a mother whose daughter was choosing between Johns Hopkins and Miami that, "Miami isn't a very good school." I didn't realize her daughter had already decided to attend Miami.

Stanford
Northwestern
Vandy
BC
USC
Rice (I know they have some really good programs, but don't know how they stack up broadly)
Pitt (ditto, also didn't know it was private)
Miami
SMU (very strong alumni network even if it is not highly ranked)
Tulane (think highly of themselves academically, I don't think they are actually that good)
Temple (I actually know nothing about Temple academically)

You could probably also include Duke, since the Raleigh Durham metro area is more populous than Nashville (although Nashville is much more concentrated).

Ok minus Pittsburgh, definitaly thought it was a private school

But the criteria is Academics and Athletics.

Advertisement
How US News ranks them:
Stanford (7)
Duke (8)
Northwestern (10)
Vandy (14)
Rice (16) (who knew?)
USC (22)
BC (38)
Tulane (44) (I call bs)
UM (53)
SMU (59)
Pitt (70) (worse than FSU, embarrassing, also, as mentioned above, not private)
Temple (106)

TCU should also probably be in there.

That's a different story, I was just thinking academics. Just major sports or total athletic program (Stanford and USC absolutely kill it in smaller sports like tennis)

Advertisement
Both Temple and Pittsburgh are state-related, They were put in this position in the early 70's because they were in financial trouble and were deemed, in current terms, too big too fail. They both had large student bodies, medical schools, and professional schools. Tuition is higher than state universities but lower than privates. Interestingly, they are in the same legal position as Penn State. Indiana University of Pennsylvania is actually the largest State University.

Advertisement
Without looking at rankings, here is my gut based on people I know from those schools. Even as an alum, I once told a mother whose daughter was choosing between Johns Hopkins and Miami that, "Miami isn't a very good school." I didn't realize her daughter had already decided to attend Miami.

Stanford
Northwestern
Vandy
BC
USC
Rice (I know they have some really good programs, but don't know how they stack up broadly)
Pitt (ditto, also didn't know it was private)
Miami
SMU (very strong alumni network even if it is not highly ranked)
Tulane (think highly of themselves academically, I don't think they are actually that good)
Temple (I actually know nothing about Temple academically)

You could probably also include Duke, since the Raleigh Durham metro area is more populous than Nashville (although Nashville is much more concentrated).

Miami is a good academic school but has no business competing academically with any of the top private schools in the country, including some in this list. I actually went to Hopkins and my brother went to Rice; I can tell you from experience the one thing Miami can offer that the others in this list can't (aside from Stanford and USC) is the balance of academia and athletics.

out of these:
1) Stanford (IMO best possible school in the country)
2) USC (better than Miami academically and about equal athletic program, but they are willing to spend money)
3) Miami
the rest.

Last edited:

Just looked it up. Pitt is a bit of a special case. It was private for most of it's history. In 1966 it became a "state-related" school, but not a state-owned school. Sort of a hybrid. Penn State and Temple are as well. From Pitt website:

"As a state-related university, Pitt receives an annual, non-preferred financial appropriation from the state and offers discounted tuition to students who are Pennsylvania residents. In addition, Pitt’s Board of Trustees includes a minority of state-appointed representatives. Legally, however, state-related universities are separate and private entities, in contrast to state-owned schools. This public-private hybrid system of higher education is unique in the nation.

Pennsylvania’s other state-related universities are Penn State, Lincoln University, and Temple University."

Both Temple and Pittsburgh are state-related, They were put in this position in the early 70's because they were in financial trouble and were deemed, in current terms, too big too fail. They both had large student bodies, medical schools, and professional schools. Tuition is higher than state universities but lower than privates. Interestingly, they are in the same legal position as Penn State. Indiana University of Pennsylvania is actually the largest State University.

Oh, sorry...saw your post right after I posted mine....

Advertisement
Back