Metropolitan Private Schools

Don’t know about that SC is top 25 and it gets very competitive at the top. I’d love to see Miami crack the top 25 some day but until they have a real eng and com sci school it will never happen.

If USC is top 25 than I think you misunderstood what I meant.

I was saying that many Miami students got into schools that were a level above Miami Ie. UNC and Notre Dame, but chose to come to Miami because it would be more fun and they are going to work for their parents anyway. Some even turned down Ivy and Duke.

A step above USC(assuming they are top 25) is Ivy League and Stanford. Even Duke which is rated higher really wouldn't be a "step" above because it is only a few spots a head of them. So you are saying USC has a lot of kids that turn down Stanford and the Ivy to go to USC?

Advertisement
How US News ranks them:
Stanford (7)
Duke (8)
Northwestern (10)
Vandy (14)
Rice (16) (who knew?)
USC (22)
BC (38)
Tulane (44) (I call bs)
UM (53)
SMU (59)
Pitt (70) (worse than FSU, embarrassing, also, as mentioned above, not private)
Temple (106)

TCU should also probably be in there.
USC seems a bit over-rated here. Everything else is legit

I was saying that many Miami students got into schools that were a level above Miami Ie. UNC and Notre Dame, but chose to come to Miami because it would be more fun and they are going to work for their parents anyway. Some even turned down Ivy and Duke.

A step above USC(assuming they are top 25) is Ivy League and Stanford. Even Duke which is rated higher really wouldn't be a "step" above because it is only a few spots a head of them. So you are saying USC has a lot of kids that turn down Stanford and the Ivy to go to USC?

I’m an Ivy League grad so I don’t pay much attention to what students do at places like USC or other weak academic school. I just know there are a lot of rich kids who go to SC.

I’m an Ivy League grad so I don’t pay much attention to what students at places like USC do. I just know there are a lot of rich kids who go to SC.

LMFAO why would you even bring that point up in this discussion? There are tons of rich kids at FAU and Barry as well. My point was a significant portion of kids at Miami got into BETTER schools than Miami, but chose Miami because they don't get any benefit from going to a better school because they are going to inherit their business and they would rather spend the next 4 years balling on SOBE than studying in the northeast. This would inflate our Standardized test scores.

Advertisement
LMFAO why would you even bring that point up in this discussion? There are tons of rich kids at FAU and Barry as well. My point was a significant portion of kids at Miami got into BETTER schools than Miami, but chose Miami because they don't get any benefit from going to a better school because they are going to inherit their business and they would rather spend the next 4 years balling on SOBE than studying in the northeast. This would inflate our Standardized test scores.

Because you seem to be interested in getting into some debate so I just figured I should admit my ignorance. I really don’t associate with all that many people who go to lower tier colleges. All the rich people I know send their kids to SC if they can’t get into Stanford or the Ivy League.

I suspect we might be using a slightly different definition of “rich” but maybe Barry has as many rich kids as SC. I have no idea. I’ve only known one person in my life that went to Barry and they transferred.

Because you seem to be interested in getting into some debate so I just figured I should admit my ignorance. All the rich people I know send their kids to SC if they can’t get into Stanford or the Ivy League.

I suspect we might be using a slightly different definition of “rich” but maybe Barry has as many rich kids as SC. I have no idea. I’ve only known one person in my life that went to Barry and they transferred.

That is no longer true. USC is now considered to be a better school than UM. USC is at the Boston College level.

They formerly called it University of Spoiled Children, but that is a top-35 school at present.

Great campus, great professors and internship opportunities second to none.

I would choose BC over USC, but they now boast comparable rankings.

That is no longer true. USC is now considered to be a better school than UM. USC is at the Boston College level.

They formerly called it University of Spoiled Children, but that is a top-35 school at present.

Great campus, great professors and internship opportunities second to none.

I would choose BC over USC, but they now boast comparable rankings.

It is still true. I’m talking about people I know whose kids are at SC now or graduated recently. I’m not saying their kids are dumb, they just couldn’t get into Penn or Stanford, they end up at SC (often with a partial academic scholarship). Most of the people I associate went to Ivy League or Stanford (I work in Silicon Valley).

It’s all relative man. I guess given where I went to school, I view a school ranked 22 or whatever SC is ranked as straight garbage academically. My spoiled kids will likely end up there. I do agree SC is a better academic school than Miami.

Advertisement
Because you seem to be interested in getting into some debate so I just figured I should admit my ignorance. I really don’t associate with all that many people who go to lower tier colleges. All the rich people I know send their kids to SC if they can’t get into Stanford or the Ivy League.

I have no interest in getting into a debate with you. Since I am from NYC my definition of rich is certainly different than yours and has numerous factors involved, but to make it simpler and more inline with your definition I will just lower the standards of rich to a nice even 80 mill net worth. No, I doubt Barry with 3,500 kids has as many rich people as USC with 45,000 kids. My point was many schools across the nation have rich students.

Now with that out of the way I will come back to the main point. In NYC the wealthy investment bankers, private equity, etc guys send their kids to the Harvard, Columbia, Yale or Stanford if they get in. Otherwise they send them to the lower tier Ivys, Duke, NYU, and schools like that. This is because their kids have some advantages, but at the end of the day are still going to need to earn their jobs.

Now the parents that own businesses these are the ones that send their kids to a UM no matter what school they get into because the kid is going to get the job regardless and he wants to enjoy his 4 years of college.

I have no interest in getting into a debate with you. Since I am from NYC my definition of rich is certainly different than yours and has numerous factors involved, but to make it simpler and more inline with your definition I will just lower the standards of rich to a nice even 80 mill net worth. No, I doubt Barry with 3,500 kids has as many rich people as USC with 45,000 kids. My point was many schools across the nation have rich students.

Now with that out of the way I will come back to the main point. In NYC the wealthy investment bankers, private equity, etc guys send their kids to the Harvard, Columbia, Yale or Stanford if they get in. Otherwise they send them to the lower tier Ivys, Duke, NYU, and schools like that. This is because their kids have some advantages, but at the end of the day are still going to need to earn their jobs.

Now the parents that own businesses these are the ones that send their kids to a UM no matter what school they get into because the kid is going to get the job regardless and he wants to enjoy his 4 years of college.

You think tech people in Silicon Valley are less rich than NYC people? Whatever...how bout you stick to stuff you know. I’m not getting into a debate about the Ivy League ecosystem with a non-ivy league grad.

Advertisement

a lot of people in my UM Class went to UM bc of the money too. UM gives out a ton of academic money

Advertisement
You think tech people in Silicon Valley are less rich than NYC people? Whatever...how bout you stick to stuff you know. I’m not getting into a debate about the Ivy League ecosystem with a non-ivy league grad.

Ummmm.. YES! Are you joking? NYC alone almost has as many billionaires as the entire state of California. This debate has nothing to do with the Ivy League ecosystem. This is a discussion about which schools the "rich" send their kids to. You may have more experience with the Ivy League ecosystem. However, I have literally been hearing about college applications from the "rich" people I work with for the last 6 months non stop because the application deadline is coming up for their children(many of which are Ivy league grads themselves). I seem to know a lot more about this topic than you do.

Ummmm.. YES! Are you joking? NYC alone almost has as many billionaires as the entire state of California. This debate has nothing to do with the Ivy League ecosystem. This is a discussion about which schools the "rich" send their kids to. You may have more experience with the Ivy League ecosystem. However, I have literally been hearing about college applications from the "rich" people I work with for the last 6 months non stop because the application deadline is coming up for their children(many of which are Ivy league grads themselves). I seem to know a lot more about this topic than you do.

I’m originally from NYC. You know more about this, yet I’m the one with two different Ivy League degrees. Stick to football.

I’m originally from NYC. You know more about this, yet I’m the one with two different Ivy League degrees. Stick to football.

Having an Ivy League degree means absolutely nothing in this discussion. I can't figure out how someone with two different Ivy League degrees can't understand a simple concept.

Let me break it down for you. Plenty of Ivy League grads do not end up wealthy. In fact many of them end up as lawyers, professors, and doctors which immediately removes them from the discussion. So all of your buddies that ended up with jobs similar to that do not fit into the tier of people we are discussing.

We are not talking about children of ivy league grads here. We are talking about children of the "rich". You going to an Ivy league school does not mean you know more "rich" people. For example, John Mack knows A LOT more rich people than a surgeon from Columbia.

Understand now?

Honestly the only people that care about Ivy League degrees are people with them.

I fired a Yale grad once because his work ethic sucked. And I went to Marshall.

Advertisement
Back