Mel Kiper on ESPN CFB podcast.

I mean, I love Rousseau, but nothing wrong with being skeptical of a Miami underclassman being able to build on a breakout season.

See: Calais Campbell

Advertisement
He'll be suckin Greg's slong in a few months.

And Brevin just has to stay healthy.

There is no reason at this point to expect a Miami player to build on a strong year with another strong year, he has been watching the same **** a lot of us have, except we take it personal because they are our mentally checked out players so we get to say it about them. I hope he ultimately ends up being wrong but at this point I will be less surprised by behavior more in line with Garvin out of anyone who gets as much as a whisper of hype as they protect their future with FRM in their ear.

Don’t forget that he was a RS freshman with basically 0 CFB experience (only played in 2 games his freshman year). He’s got elite traits but also has a ton of growth left in him. Barring injuries, sky is the limit for him.

It echos what Manny said a week or two ago. Dude has top 10 measurables for sure but a lot of production came playing DT vs slow footed guards like Donte Lucas where just ran by them. He is a mid 1st rounder right now but can and should develop some outside moves he will sky rocket up.

As for the other two Roche wont get drafted top 15 because hes too small. Late teens to late first is his ceiling. Brevin will probably be the 2nd TE taken after Pitts from UF.

Advertisement
Two years actually
Freshman season - 38 tackles 12 TFL 8 sacks
Sophomore season - 54 tackles 23.5 TFL 13 sacks

Clowney was already, and still is, an elite run defender. He didn't need much development which is why people were telling him to sit out his junior year.

He has 0 NFL seasons with double digit sacks... he isn't elite anything. which is evident to him being a free agent still.

Nothing moves a player up on Mel's mock drafts faster than that player hiring an agent thats buddy's (pays him( with Mel.
Once that happens he will make sure to hype the player any chance he gets.

Advertisement
If Greg played for OSU, Bama, or Clemson he’d be talked about like a top 3 pick. Anyway, I hope he balls out and goes top 10. We need to get our NFL U pipeline going again.

He has 0 NFL seasons with double digit sacks... he isn't elite anything. which is evident to him being a free agent still.

His sack production probably doesn't match the position that he was taken but he's still a top 10 DE in the league. He's asking for a ridiculous amount for a guy that doesn't do it all which is why he's free agent, it ain't about ability.

If Greg played for OSU, Bama, or Clemson he’d be talked about like a top 3 pick. Anyway, I hope he balls out and goes top 10. We need to get our NFL U pipeline going again.
Well of course. Those teams wouldn't have hesitated to start him. I think he, Roche, and Brevin will get this thing going again. I'd love for Blades to ball out too.

Advertisement
Hot take: Greg Rousseau will not lead the team in sacks this year. Not because he won’t be better but because he’ll be focused on by opponents a lot more. There’s going to a lot of chances for other guys to eat because Rousseau is going to command so much attention. It’s also a good thing that they move him around inside and out. It’s much easier to neutralize a guy who lines up in the same spot every down.
I think UM fans are so jaded by 18 years of failure too many can’t see what they’re looking st in Rousseau. IMO he’ll be the best player from UM since Sean Taylor. Not making a sack prediction because it’s silly but I won’t be surprised if he holds his production. What I want to see is progress overall, development of pass russ moves and technique, and sealing the edge effectively. Just be a true DE and play inside on passing downs as needed. IMO Rousseau is a special talent and will go on to some great things if he keeps his head in it.

What's a great pass rusher? I view it as a guy who gets to the QB regularly and regularly disrupts plays in the backfield. I don't think it's just blazing speed and blowing by the OT and running yourself out of the play. One of the things Greg does so well is he controls his rush and never seems to get too deep. He uses those pterodactyl wings to snatch the QB up from all sorts of weird angles and from what, at times, seems like 10 yards away.
Speed is pretty overrated for ends, imo, vs. quickness, agility, length, hand strength and ability to disengage, technique and knowing how to stay in position to your point. Rousseau has all that and can cover ground in a hurry with his long strides.

Most of his sacks came from hustle and length. **** guy can trip-up a QB from the parking lot.
Hopefully he'll be the one DE that actually learned some pass rush moves while he's here.

I think he's deceptively strong (as ****).

Uses his length well to keep O-linemen out of his chest.
Hustles like a madman.
Is extremely athletic for someone who's 6'6".

And his ability to relate to the QB's location during his rush is his best asset IMO. ("QB-rush-relation")
Some guys simply don't find the QB as well as others. Doesn't sound difficult but so many guys run past the QB, can't track him while he's moving around the pocket, etc. Some D-linemen get their eyes/attention locked onto the blocker and lose track of where the QB is. The good pass rushers rush the QB as if the O-linemen isn't even there. They basically look through him. That's GR in my opinion.
Agreed. He had a few plays last year where he threw an OL off him using upper body strength and I thought I was seeing a young Reggie White. Actually went back and watched white and bruce smith film just to remind myself what DEs can do. Sometimes folks think athletes today are always betrer than whoever came before. Definitely encourage folks to watch old white and smith tape. Goats.

Advertisement
Speed is pretty overrated for ends, imo, vs. quickness, agility, length, hand strength and ability to disengage, technique and knowing how to stay in position to your point. Rousseau has all that and can cover ground in a hurry with his long strides.
"Bend" is the most undersold trait of a Rush DE. I would like to see him have a bit more of it.

Watch guys like Von Miller, Bosa, Josh Allen. I guess at his height it may be hard to bend much more but I can see him being a heavier Chandler Jones in the NFL

I didn’t want to get too violent lol
PupQ.gif

Advertisement
Back