Mel Kiper on ESPN CFB podcast.

I dont See how anyone envision some drastic drop off from Rousseau. Double greg and then what? Leave Roche and jaelan Phillips in mismatches against their lineman? No lol come on now. Those 2 are upgrades from hill and garvin so they won’t be able to really do that
Because it’s incredibly rare for guys to improve from 15 sacks in college football. It's not just a matter of him getting more attention and facing more double teams. The vary nature of getting sacks is often tied to luck. There may be one guy who creates the pressure and flushes the QB right into the arms of a teammate who gets credit for the sack despite not actually creating the pressure. It happens in all levels of football. You rarely see guys have huge sack numbers in back to back seasons. Even the best guys in the league have dips in production on a year to year basis. Rousseau could have a 9 sack season while still playing at an extremely high level.

Advertisement
Because it’s incredibly rare for guys to improve from 15 sacks in college football. It's not just a matter of him getting more attention and facing more double teams. The vary nature of getting sacks is often tied to luck. There may be one guy who creates the pressure and flushes the QB right into the arms of a teammate who gets credit for the sack despite not actually creating the pressure. It happens in all levels of football. You rarely see guys have huge sack numbers in back to back seasons. Even the best guys in the league have dips in production on a year to year basis. Rousseau could have a 9 sack season while still playing at an extremely high level.
No way it happens, he should get over 10 sacks once again. Remember he barely played the first 5 games with limited snaps in each and still amassed 4.5-5 sacks or so. With increased playing time no one knows what his production will look like. That was his first year of playing legit college ball so there’s no reason for anyone to expect some steep decline. He should be more refined in a bevy of areas as a dlineman due to his valuable experience he gained last year

I dont See how anyone envision some drastic drop off from Rousseau. Double greg and then what? Leave Roche and jaelan Phillips in mismatches against their lineman? No lol come on now. Those 2 are upgrades from hill and garvin so they won’t be able to really do that
If our dl coach doesn't help him elevate his game to another level he will fall.....he must add more to his ****nal cuz teams will focus on him alot more now.....it's all about the coach understanding what he has to work with and putting it all together.....I hear the same **** every year then our so called studs fall off.....it's a pattern that has to be broken...

Advertisement
No way it happens, he should get over 10 sacks once again. Remember he barely played the first 5 games with limited snaps in each and still amassed 4.5-5 sacks or so. With increased playing time no one knows what his production will look like. That was his first year of playing legit college ball so there’s no reason for anyone to expect some steep decline. He should be more refined in a bevy of areas as a dlineman due to his valuable experience he gained last year

That's a lot to assume. Let's not forget he got 4 sacks against FSU and 3 against Pitt. Almost half his season total was from a two game stretch. He also played in every game. Just because he didn't start, doesn't mean he wasn't playing. Sacks are an iffy stat. He could play significantly better and still have less sacks in 2021. Don't mistake my statement as an insult to him, he's a great player. It's just that guys don't routinely post back to back huge sack seasons. He posted the 2nd most sacks in a season by a hurricane last year. That's an incredible feat and not one that will be easily one-upped.

That's a lot to assume. Let's not forget he got 4 sacks against FSU and 3 against Pitt. Almost half his season total was from a two game stretch. He also played in every game. Just because he didn't start, doesn't mean he wasn't playing. Sacks are an iffy stat. He could play significantly better and still have less sacks in 2021. Don't mistake my statement as an insult to him, he's a great player. It's just that guys don't routinely post back to back huge sack seasons. He posted the 2nd most sacks in a season by a hurricane last year. That's an incredible feat and not one that will be easily one-upped.
Rousseau had at least 1 sack in all but 4 games(2 of those games were vs fiu and Bethune Cookman, 1 of the other 2 teams he didn’t get a sack was vs ga tech who usually don’t throw as much). He had his balloon stat games for sure but his production was spread out in most games and he didn’t feast on bad competition either, most of his production was vs power 5 competition. Regardless we will see what happens this year

Greg definitely needs to improve as an outside rusher if that’s what he wants to be. Clowney is a physical freak but he’s also not a great edge rusher. Clowney actually does his best as an interior guy. He’s phenomenal setting the edge in the run game but if we’re talking as edge rusher, he’s very inconsistent. I do wonder how many sacks came from the inside for Greg. He’s not a great edge rusher but that certainly doesn’t mean he can’t become one. Having said that, he’s top 10 pick right now if the 2021 was held today. The size and athleticism is incredible. He’s also a physical freak much like Clowney. Hopefully his edge rushing develops a lot more.

Advertisement
9A3FFA7B-1D8A-479E-AB3E-7ADCBC1C5B76.gif

shut up nerd and show me more highlights of some random DII player the patriots drafted in the first round.

Greg definitely needs to improve as an outside rusher if that’s what he wants to be. Clowney is a physical freak but he’s also not a great edge rusher. Clowney actually does his best as an interior guy. He’s phenomenal setting the edge in the run game but if we’re talking as edge rusher, he’s very inconsistent. I do wonder how many sacks came from the inside for Greg. He’s not a great edge rusher but that certainly doesn’t mean he can’t become one. Having said that, he’s top 10 pick right now if the 2021 was held today. The size and athleticism is incredible. He’s also a physical freak much like Clowney. Hopefully his edge rushing develops a lot more.
What's a great pass rusher? I view it as a guy who gets to the QB regularly and regularly disrupts plays in the backfield. I don't think it's just blazing speed and blowing by the OT and running yourself out of the play. One of the things Greg does so well is he controls his rush and never seems to get too deep. He uses those pterodactyl wings to snatch the QB up from all sorts of weird angles and from what, at times, seems like 10 yards away.

It’s not so much his effort. He just tends to get caught up at the line and has to work to disengage from blocks. His “get off” is not as good as it needs to be. He can blow be DT’s but more often than not it isn’t quick enough to get around good OT. He is often left to use his length and strength to beat them. His fight and motor is actually really good. This is why he has been able to get a lot of his sacks. If he improves his “get off”, hand play and learns to make himself “skinny” using better angles/twists, he will be unstoppable.

Advertisement
Kiper’s an idiot. Says a player needs two years production but hypes up all these one year sensations in his mock drafts like Burrow.

What's a great pass rusher? I view it as a guy who gets to the QB regularly and regularly disrupts plays in the backfield. I don't think it's just blazing speed and blowing by the OT and running yourself out of the play. One of the things Greg does so well is he controls his rush and never seems to get too deep. He uses those pterodactyl wings to snatch the QB up from all sorts of weird angles and from what, at times, seems like 10 yards away.

Maybe I wasn’t clear on the importance of the “get off”. It is not always about blowing past an OT. A properly executed drop step will ensure an OT can get back in position to block. An effective “get off” actually threatens the OT, forcing them to overreact to get to a set point. When they are forced to move quicker than they would like, they tend to overextend. When that occurs, he is done. Any effective counter will eat an overextended OT. GR 15 has all the physical tools to be dominate. If he can add some quickness of the edge with some counters based on how exposed the OT is, it’s a rap. Your not only talking about more sacks and TFL’s, but much more QB pressures.

Advertisement
Kiper’s an idiot. Says a player needs two years production but hypes up all these one year sensations in his mock drafts like Burrow.

As poor as some of the QB play is in the league, there was no way Burrow was not getting drafted. The year he had was ridiculous and couldn’t be passed up. BTW, Chicago is about to give up on Mitch Trabitzky, the win year wonder. If there isn’t already, there should be some concern from teams on 1 year wonders.

Advertisement
Back