Mel Kiper on ESPN CFB podcast.

IMO Todd McShay hits much more in his evaluations than Mel Kiper. Although I will disagree with some players he does provide reasonable reasons why he may not do so.

In this instance he is right. Greg's potential is through the roof but he needs to have another 10+ sack season to solidify his status in top 10.

Advertisement
Talks about his top 25. He stress that kids need to produce and that returnees need 2 years of production. He explains why Rousseau isn’t as high and what he needs to do move up. He only has the 1 year so he definitely needs a repeat in production. He says he needs to develop his pass rush skills and improve his “get off”. He didn’t give any numbers but he is most likely talking about more sacks and pressures. I definitely agree with his assessment. He needs to be more consistent in his pressure. He also mentioned that DT’s in general need 5-6 sacks to improve draft stock.
I'd officially like to say Mel kiper is a moron. He simply asseses what is said about kids as a collective and tries to turn that into his take. Line play as a whole is all about the strengths and weekends of a group as a whole. Our tackle play is a joke which leads to constant doubles and the ability to key on him in general. If nesta steps up it will be huge to Greg's development. If he's stuck on an island his stats won't improve they'll probably decline cause he is a focus now. Far more than anyone else on Our entire d.

IMO Todd McShay hits much more in his evaluations than Mel Kiper. Although I will disagree with some players he does provide reasonable reasons why he may not do so.

In this instance he is right. Greg's potential is through the roof but he needs to have another 10+ sack season to solidify his status in top 10.

10 sacks is not production from a kid who had 15. That is complacency. Despite all the NFLU hype, the U is not held in high regards in the draft.. He can’t afford any drop off. That would be a reason to drop him.

Rousseau is not just going to be some freak edge rusher who can just beat you with speed off the edge. I saw Someone on twitter make a Calais Campbell comparison with Rousseau and I 100% see that as he’s very effective as inside rusher while the outside pass rush is still coming along(expected due to how new he is at the position). At the end of the day you can’t overly criticize what he does pass rushing wise against tackles but not acknowledge ANYTHING he does when he lines up in the inside where he also is very effective. Either way he gets the job done🤷🏾‍♂️💯

Advertisement
10 sacks is not production from a kid who had 15. That is complacency. Despite all the NFLU hype, the U is not held in high regards in the draft.. He can’t afford any drop off. That would be a reason to drop him.
That is the most moronic thing I've ever heard. That's like saying because Aaron Donald got 20 sacks in 2018 but 12.5 sacks in 2019 he was complacent. There is so many other factors as to why sack numbers can drop. And you saying he has 10 sacks **** slip is like saying Aaron Donald still isn't the best defensive player in football because he didn't have more than 20 this year.

If Rousseau has a 10+ sack season, develops his pass rush moves, and dominates against the run next year he will be a top 10 pick.

Meh dude is a hack, he’s made a career off of regurgitating 40 times, height and weight..he’s only there to spew generic info to brain dead nfl fans that don’t follow cfb..

Advertisement

That's not true. After a season with 15+ sacks SOME drop-off is expected because offenses will start to scheme for him.

Most of his sacks came from hustle and length. **** guy can trip-up a QB from the parking lot.
Hopefully he'll be the one DE that actually learned some pass rush moves while he's here.

I think he's deceptively strong (as ****).
Uses his length well to keep O-linemen out of his chest.
Hustles like a madman.
Is extremely athletic for someone who's 6'6".

And his ability to relate to the QB's location during his rush is his best asset IMO. ("QB-rush-relation")
Some guys simply don't find the QB as well as others. Doesn't sound difficult but so many guys run past the QB, can't track him while he's moving around the pocket, etc. Some D-linemen get their eyes/attention locked onto the blocker and lose track of where the QB is. The good pass rushers rush the QB as if the O-linemen isn't even there. They basically look through him. That's GR in my opinion.

He’s right about one thing - if GR only has average production this year, he isn’t a Top 10 anything. He’s going to need to dominate. One year won’t cut it.

Hot take: Greg Rousseau will not lead the team in sacks this year. Not because he won’t be better but because he’ll be focused on by opponents a lot more. There’s going to a lot of chances for other guys to eat because Rousseau is going to command so much attention. It’s also a good thing that they move him around inside and out. It’s much easier to neutralize a guy who lines up in the same spot every down.

Advertisement
Greg just needs to produce in big games and dominate weak competition....if he disappears in agames like MSU, VT, UNC, his stock could drop....also, our staff hasn't done a great job of getting kids to live up to preseason hype...Kaaya, Richards, Garvin, both Jacksons ....now Jordan and Rousseau are first round projections....I'm tired of this preseason hype ****.....the staff has to get our players to reach their potential...if Greg isn't a early first..... I'm going to blame the staff for not elevating his game...this has been the difference imo...

Last edited:
Advertisement
Hot take: Greg Rousseau will not lead the team in sacks this year. Not because he won’t be better but because he’ll be focused on by opponents a lot more. There’s going to a lot of chances for other guys to eat because Rousseau is going to command so much attention. It’s also a good thing that they move him around inside and out. It’s much easier to neutralize a guy who lines up in the same spot every down.
I dont See how anyone envision some drastic drop off from Rousseau. Double greg and then what? Leave Roche and jaelan Phillips in mismatches against their lineman? No lol come on now. Those 2 are upgrades from hill and garvin so they won’t be able to really do that

Let's hope and pray that the Miami curse doesn't grab hold of Rosseau like so many before him..... FLASH their freshman year only to gain bad weight and lose their explosiveness, which was what made them great. Or they can just be put completely out of position as well. Can be multiple things down their in the gables. Hope it doesn't happen to this kid

Clowney got drafted #1 overall based on 1 year.............
Two years actually
Freshman season - 38 tackles 12 TFL 8 sacks
Sophomore season - 54 tackles 23.5 TFL 13 sacks

Clowney was already, and still is, an elite run defender. He didn't need much development which is why people were telling him to sit out his junior year.

All Greg needs to do is get stronger and work on his pass-rush counters. His effort is hot and cold sometimes as well. He's already a good dude that seems like he avoids trouble so that's a plus.

Advertisement
Back