MEGA Mega Merged Stadium Thread.

Bill Murray Well Its Groundhog Day Again GIF

Advertisement
incur all the cost for no appreciable difference and a smaller stadium. makes total sense.
I want our own stadium close to campus. It would still suck to overhaul tropical. Both for the headache and the likely sht show it would cause politically. And plenty of local residents would be ****ed. But I feel it would help us as a whole if they knock it out of the park and actually improve on the site.
But if people are expecting that a stadium in tropical means 55k for a 12pm game in September for Stetson then they better realize that that ain’t happening. And if we’re a perennial 8-4 team then they also better realize that we ain’t packing the house for UNC even if you make a retractable roof stadium on key biscayne with 100% of the spaces available for tailgating.

Maybe if the parking lot is in the beach itself.
And as you pointed out previously, Ain’t no way in **** that’s happening.

Advertisement
The fog of history is strong with this one. The OB was miserably bad in regards to fan experience and player comfort. Hard Rocks issue is the same exact thing that affected the OB, fans only care if it's a huge game. This won't change, because our fanbase doesn't have the same ties that the typical state schools have. Tough to care when you aren't directly connected to the school....

Improving the student experience with a stadium closer to campus will help with that part over time. Those are your future boosters and donors, both for the program and the university as a whole.

Advertisement
1st. Miami has to be a semi-pro team. 2. An on campus stadium solves nothing, we have more fans than students. 3. Miami's admin plan has to be better than "if you win they will come."

Improving the student experience with a stadium closer to campus will help with that part over time. Those are your future boosters and donors, both for the program and the university as a whole.
The problem is that those kids don't care unless it's a big event. This is what our "Fanbase" refuses to understand. WE ARE NOT A STATE SCHOOL WHERE KIDS DREAM OF ATTENDING THE UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI. Our student body is extremely diverse, where you have a ton of kids that don't even care about american football or sports in general. It is beyond foolish to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a stadium, in the vain hope of getting kids, most of whom will only care if it's a major opponent with major stakes, to show up.

There's a case study we can look to, our basketball program. Even when L had the program rolling, kids only showed up when Duke and UNC came to town, because they only recognize the big name programs. Even when we had a top 10 showdown with UVA, those kids didn't care. I don't understand how our fans can't grasp this concept. Then again, this is another huge problem, our fanbase refuses to listen to the alumni and whatnot that actually have first hand experience.

Here's my stadium question... should it be a dome, or not.

Dome pro is that it would be climate controlled and the fans would be more comfortable, and maybe more likely to show up. Also, it's getting hotter every year.

Open stadium pro is the opponents have to play in Miami heat and humidity, but I can't remember the last time that was an advantage for us.

I think we might do better trying for fan support rather than heat for a home field advantage. But I'm open to opinions on the matter.

Advertisement
1st. Miami has to be a semi-pro team. 2. An on campus stadium solves nothing, we have more fans than students. 3. Miami's admin plan has to be better than "if you win they will come."
I think if people check their egos for a second and concede that we can’t, even when we’re winning, consistently pack a 70,000+ stadium then we’ll get somewhere.

The on-campus stadium idea helps because you could build a 50k stadium with an architectural design that’s conducive to an electric environment. We don’t need a 70k+ stadium to have an intimidating home venue. The loyal fans that show up will bring the energy and 50k will sound like 70k.

I think if people check their egos for a second and concede that we can’t, even when we’re winning, consistently pack a 70,000+ stadium then we’ll get somewhere.

The on-campus stadium idea helps because you could build a 50k stadium with an architectural design that’s conducive to an electric environment. We don’t need a 70k+ stadium to have an intimidating home venue. The loyal fans that show up will bring the energy and 50k will sound like 70k.
I still think on campus is a huge issue. It's a big problem trying to get 50k fans south of Miami proper. That's a lot of cars. I agree with the 50k number though, also because it could create a little more artificial scarcity in ticket sales, driving urgency for fans. All this said, I invision a stadium campus, somewhere with no red lights to the stadium or to the interstate. Somewhere the university can maybe have convenient hotels and restaurants, not sure if this is possible? If it had a retractable roof we could could get it into spring and summer concert tours for Garth Brooks and Adele and Drake and whoever else. That's mo-money, mo-money, mo-money.

The problem is that those kids don't care unless it's a big event. This is what our "Fanbase" refuses to understand. WE ARE NOT A STATE SCHOOL WHERE KIDS DREAM OF ATTENDING THE UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI. Our student body is extremely diverse, where you have a ton of kids that don't even care about american football or sports in general. It is beyond foolish to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a stadium, in the vain hope of getting kids, most of whom will only care if it's a major opponent with major stakes, to show up.

There's a case study we can look to, our basketball program. Even when L had the program rolling, kids only showed up when Duke and UNC came to town, because they only recognize the big name programs. Even when we had a top 10 showdown with UVA, those kids didn't care. I don't understand how our fans can't grasp this concept. Then again, this is another huge problem, our fanbase refuses to listen to the alumni and whatnot that actually have first hand experience.
“Big Event” sums up the south Florida region as a whole. The students of. 13k population is the least of our problems. Ask Heat or Marlins fans.

Advertisement

I'm just curious, where on campus do you propose we build a stadium? Exactly.

The best case scenario is building at Trop Park, which is miles away from campus.

I still think on campus is a huge issue. It's a big problem trying to get 50k fans south of Miami proper. That's a lot of cars. I agree with the 50k number though, also because it could create a little more artificial scarcity in ticket sales, driving urgency for fans. All this said, I invision a stadium campus, somewhere with no red lights to the stadium or to the interstate. Somewhere the university can maybe have convenient hotels and restaurants, not sure if this is possible? If it had a retractable roof we could could get it into spring and summer concert tours for Garth Brooks and Adele and Drake and whoever else. That's mo-money, mo-money, mo-money.
What are you talking about? ON CAMPUS?? Have you ever BEEN to UM? There isn't room for another tennis court on the campus property let alone a football stadium. There is virtually NO developable land IN Miami Dade County anywhere near UM campus. That is the only reason people discussing a stadium are targeting Tropical Park ... there isn't any other parcel of land IN EXISTENCE .... everything has been developed into residential and commercial properties. People wanting to build a NEW HOME in Coral Gables look for the oldest home available on a "big lot" (12,000 - 14,000 set) and pay $1.0 million plus for it ... to tear it down and build a new home. There is no undeveloped land. Period.

What are you talking about? ON CAMPUS?? Have you ever BEEN to UM? There isn't room for another tennis court on the campus property let alone a football stadium. There is virtually NO developable land IN Miami Dade County anywhere near UM campus. That is the only reason people discussing a stadium are targeting Tropical Park ... there isn't any other parcel of land IN EXISTENCE .... everything has been developed into residential and commercial properties. People wanting to build a NEW HOME in Coral Gables look for the oldest home available on a "big lot" (12,000 - 14,000 set) and pay $1.0 million plus for it ... to tear it down and build a new home. There is no undeveloped land. Period.
I thought I've said that a million times here. On campus is a huge issue, yep I said that.

Advertisement
Back