McCray could commit this week

Advertisement
At least this guy has a good chance to get into college, with both Tulane and Miami offering.

He is similiar to Mike Smith of the West......I will check him out this year the last time I watched Ely play was when Moss, Bain and Wimbs played there, but at the time I was more impressed with their Linebacker Clint Sessions. I need to see More of Mccray between the tackles, His film was based more on him playing on the perimeter in space.

He is similiar to Mike Smith of the West......I will check him out this year the last time I watched Ely play was when Moss, Bain and Wimbs played there, but at the time I was more impressed with their Linebacker Clint Sessions. I need to see More of Mccray between the tackles, His film was based more on him playing on the perimeter in space.

Smith has more natural talent

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
last hand picked No Frio guy was Thurston Armbrister.

Mccray though is a plus size athlete...not sure if he is a natural @ LB just yet.

Also his cousin gave everything while here @ um...and was a signing day surprise

What has been wrong with Armbrister? His 1st year at LB he got significant burn, as a late filler there has been nothing wrong with his output.

I was actually pretty disappointed he was hurt in the spring as I think he can develop into a really solid backup/spot starter for us.

I like what I see in those limited HUDL highlights. The guy made 3-4 huge plays in every game.

McCray's change of direction is excellent, which is why he finishes plays when he gets to the QB. Kiki Mingo from LSU was a size-speed freak, but when he got to the QB he ran right by him. McCray reminds me of Jarvis Jones with his ability to make plays without being a workout warrior.

The only issue is that like cane248 said, he's very similar to Mike Smith. Would like to have another physical freak in the class but you can do worse than signing two sack machines with high motors.

Advertisement
Kid has great lateral movement and quickness for his size.Fits in to the hybrid DE LB scheme very well at 6'3" .Looks good in pass coverage.

How many **** hybrids do we need? Seems like most of our front 7 recruits are all these hybrid LB/DEs. Where are the true DEs and DTs?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Terry McCray didnt have nearly the production as Smith tho, correct?

Pretty similar. Smith had 18 sacks vs. McCray's 13, but Smith played on one of the top defenses in Florida.

Thanks. Maybe I'm too skeptical, I just don't like the kid as a prospect. I feel if we are going to take him as a LB, why not do this in January? Those Cali LBs, Vincent Jackson (looking SEC now), and I'm sure we have another players on our board. His limited highlights did not impress me at all.

For those wondering, his team went 5-6, and didnt play top schools, pretty decent schedule. When they played miramar (top opponent on the schedule), they lost 42-20.

To take McCray and pass on 2014 OLB Tyler Cook from Cali would criminal, Cook ran a laser 4.5 sec 40yd at
6'3" 230lbs. He has been working with a speed coach for 2 years, which I am thinking being trained by swasey in college would be extremely appealing to Cook.
[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2xpRFxNV9c[/video]

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNRmrWyr7TI[/video]

Last edited:
Advertisement

Mccray though is a plus size athlete...not sure if he is a natural @ LB just yet.

Also his cousin gave everything while here @ um...and was a signing day surprise

Don't know if you are knocking Armbrister here, but I will say that it is still awful early to judge him either way.

As a late pickup, if he becomes a backup that can play in a pinch and a core special teams guy, then he was a success. He has done nothing so far to show that he cannot be exactly that. He got forced by a bad depth chart in to big snaps in a few games last year when he never should have. He took his licks as a result. He's probably never going to be a star or even a consistent starter for us, but guys like him and Walter Tucker can step into the Tyrone Cornelius role as key special teams / package player.

Special teams should be reserved for Underclassmen who deserve some PT and the upperclassmen who can't crack the rotation. If a guy ends up solid there, fine, but when you are facing scholarship reductions, makes no sense to me to recruit a guy so he can play special teams if he isn't punting it. You recruit guys you think can be good starters for you, and if they cant for whatever reason, then they play special teams.

Not to say this kid isn't a good player, but the logic that we need to look for some more Armbristers doesn't make much sense to me.

I wasn't saying that McCray's ceiling is the same as Armbrister's. I was just taking up for Armbrister. Didn't mean to threadjack, I just saw a player that is still early on in his career getting **** on and piped up about it.

McCray, for what it's worth, has a higher ceiling than Armbrister. I'm not sure if I would take him this early but I work at in television, not as a football coach.

Armbrister is a jr this yr....not a diss to the kid...(hes bahamian like me)....just saying when u hand pick guys....you usually do that with studs.....

Last person that handpicked guys at lb was Randy and we saw what Romeo Davis did for us....( he wasnt a super late offer as thought)..

Had Armbrister shirted he would be prime as a rs soph....now he will be a rotation guy i think @ olb...that just got beat out by Figs a true fresh.

What has been wrong with Armbrister? His 1st year at LB he got significant burn, as a late filler there has been nothing wrong with his output.

I was actually pretty disappointed he was hurt in the spring as I think he can develop into a really solid backup/spot starter for us.

NOTHING...except at this point and with our talent level on d...not in the position to take fillers.

Armbrister is playing above his actual talent level etc...

I dont have an opinion on Mccray other than i think we just took a guy in Mike Smith that does the same thing. If Mccray can play Mike i can work with it...because he doesnt look to sudden...buyt he has plus size....He's a kid that will be 6'3 230 plus by soph season.

I would actually wait to see a few of his sr season games before i take his commit imo.

Hold out for Cook from Cali, plus we need a bad *** white dude on defense that is fast as **** an plays with bad intentions.

Go Canes

Advertisement
Back