McCray could commit this week

It would be a mistake to accept this kids commitment this soon when there are much better players still available at OLB.

Go Canes

Advertisement
last hand picked No Frio guy was Thurston Armbrister.

Mccray though is a plus size athlete...not sure if he is a natural @ LB just yet.

Also his cousin gave everything while here @ um...and was a signing day surprise

Advertisement

Mccray though is a plus size athlete...not sure if he is a natural @ LB just yet.

Also his cousin gave everything while here @ um...and was a signing day surprise

Don't know if you are knocking Armbrister here, but I will say that it is still awful early to judge him either way.

As a late pickup, if he becomes a backup that can play in a pinch and a core special teams guy, then he was a success. He has done nothing so far to show that he cannot be exactly that. He got forced by a bad depth chart in to big snaps in a few games last year when he never should have. He took his licks as a result. He's probably never going to be a star or even a consistent starter for us, but guys like him and Walter Tucker can step into the Tyrone Cornelius role as key special teams / package player.

Agreed

I don't know, Armbrister committed in June of 2011. I think he is more of a spot filler (like Darius Smith) then a stud finder. But he has time to shine, or contribute or remain JAG.

Advertisement

Don't know if you are knocking Armbrister here, but I will say that it is still awful early to judge him either way.

As a late pickup, if he becomes a backup that can play in a pinch and a core special teams guy, then he was a success. He has done nothing so far to show that he cannot be exactly that. He got forced by a bad depth chart in to big snaps in a few games last year when he never should have. He took his licks as a result. He's probably never going to be a star or even a consistent starter for us, but guys like him and Walter Tucker can step into the Tyrone Cornelius role as key special teams / package player.

I hope he projects higher than a core special teams player. you don't need to lock up those types of players this early in the process.

Armbrister has the look of a player that can be a solid contributor. He big, fast, rangy, athletic and tough. If he can put it all together he can be solid.

What are McCrary measurables? I am hearing good athlete thrown around when referring to this kid..

Also, Paranos, what other OLB prospects are on our board at the moment that has considered us? I just dont see all these OLBs that are seriously looking at us that you speak of..Maybe Smothers/Kindle..but those are longshots at this point IMO. Isnt Smothers the one that said he loved his AZ visit? And he was also considering KSU..

Special teams should be reserved for Underclassmen who deserve some PT and the upperclassmen who can't crack the rotation. If a guy ends up solid there, fine, but when you are facing scholarship reductions, makes no sense to me to recruit a guy so he can play special teams if he isn't punting it. You recruit guys you think can be good starters for you, and if they cant for whatever reason, then they play special teams.

Not to say this kid isn't a good player, but the logic that we need to look for some more Armbristers doesn't make much sense to me.

Advertisement

Special teams should be reserved for Underclassmen who deserve some PT and the upperclassmen who can't crack the rotation. If a guy ends up solid there, fine, but when you are facing scholarship reductions, makes no sense to me to recruit a guy so he can play special teams if he isn't punting it. You recruit guys you think can be good starters for you, and if they cant for whatever reason, then they play special teams.

Not to say this kid isn't a good player, but the logic that we need to look for some more Armbristers doesn't make much sense to me.

I wasn't saying that McCray's ceiling is the same as Armbrister's. I was just taking up for Armbrister. Didn't mean to threadjack, I just saw a player that is still early on in his career getting **** on and piped up about it.

McCray, for what it's worth, has a higher ceiling than Armbrister. I'm not sure if I would take him this early but I work at in television, not as a football coach.

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-...ng/player/evaluation/_/id/152808/terry-mccray

from ESPN

Testing numbers
6'3 205lbs
4.92 40
4.63 20 yard shuttle
29.8 VJ
34 power throw
65.04 Sparq overall rating

Size-Strength-Range
This player has the size and athleticism for the outside linebacker position at the BCS level. Possesses exceptional quickness, however his playing strength and take-on ability must improve. Sturdy frame appears capable of supporting additional bulk over time. Moves through traffic well, showing good sideline-to-sideline range.

Instincts/Take On Skills
Is very quick getting off the mark with good key and diagnosis reaction skills. Doesn't get out of position and isn't fooled by misdirection. Burst off the snap gets him up field or through the inside gap to the quarterback or ball carrier in a hurry. Uses his quick hands effectively to shed blocks and play to the football but needs to be stouter at the point. Can avoid blocks in tight spaces, changes direction and still make plays in the opponent's backfield. Flexible, agile and balanced

Tackling
A tough, aggressive player who flashes wrap-tackling ability, however there is the need to work on balance and finish as we see some drag and leaky yardage after contact.

3rd Down Capabilities
Will need to gain coverage experience as his primary responsibility is rushing the passer. Playing speed along with his ability to make tight turns indicates potential as a man and zone coverage defender. Initial quickness allows him to gain an immediate advantage as an edge rusher. Displays very quick hands with an inside, arm over move that clears him to the quarterback. Closing burst puts immediate pressure on the passer resulting in sacks and hurries.

Bottom Line
A tough customer who plays with the instincts and intensity we look for when evaluating linebackers. McCray will need some time and most likely a redshirt year to develop physically while acquiring coverage skills. Athleticism should prove effective as a special teams player. Once this is accomplished he should have a productive career at the BCS level of competition.

seems to be a consensus 3* (for those who care)
also 247 list him as 6'3 215lbs and a 4.7 40 (TIFWIW)

Advertisement
We are evaluating this guy off of limited film from hudl. The coaches have seen this kids compete in whole game film(not just highlights) and in camps, so I trust the coaches judgment more then the hudl highlights.

Meh. Not what I would consider a super athlete based off those numbers from ESPN. If thats what he is hanging his hat on we might have a problem here folks.

What's up with his film, has it been locked in the Jontavious Carter film vault?

Advertisement
Back