McCloud abused on touchdown drive

Advertisement
Mcloud has no instincts, Steed is slow, and Jennings is limited. We need to get past Clemson and start giving the younger faster LB’s the reps just like we need to give the younger WR’s the reps.

I disagree. The LBs have not been fine. The run defense as a whole has not been fine. Jennings had his best game against UAB not FSU. He's had 1 tackle per game since. We have given up 360 rush yards the last 2 games against Louisville and FSU.

Louisville ran for 65 less yards and 0.5 ypc less against Western Kentucky and 93 less yards against Pitt. Outside of 1x75 yard touchdown, Pitt held them to 41 yards in 29 carries.

FSU ran for only 7 more yards against Miami than GT but at a clip 0.8 ypc more against Miami. That data is skewed by Blackman/Rodemaker. If you discount their carries/yards in both games, the rest of team ran 26 times for 96 yards against GT (3.7 ypc) and 26 times for 171 against Miami (6.6 ypc)

So if you are going to sit here and say GT and Western Kentucky have better DL and LB talent, that's your argument. If you are being real and not saying that, then our LB play has not been fine. The play by play will show guys out of position, glued to blocks, slow to react or too slow to beat the back to the corner. Now Baker (or Manny) isn't doing our LBs ANY favors with the bs DT twists and garbage gimmicks taking place in front of them way too often....literally giving the offense a huge running hole. Roche has struggled in the run game as well, dipping inside a lot and not holding the edge. That said, plays are there to be made and just not happening with the consistency and volume LBs are expected to make.
What you did is what too many people are unwilling to do; break it down play by play.
My original argument was not that McCloud was terrible or should not play. McCloud is a good player. The argument was/is that he gets exposed in coverage and with misdirection. As such, he is not a 3-down player. IMO, he should play against run heavy teams or obvious run downs. And frankly even against the run he has been beaten to the edge too many times. He plays better inside the box but that doesn't help when every opponent is running outside.
Mcloud has no instincts, Steed is slow, and Jennings is limited. We need to get past Clemson and start giving the younger faster LB’s the reps just like we need to give the younger WR’s the reps.
still hoping that Steed will improve as the season progresses and he gets his legs under him. But I don’t see much room for improvement from McCloud and Jennings.

Are u basing this on actual stats?
UL rushed for over 200 but it took 50 attempts to get there. Avg of 4.6 a pop. That’s without accounting for negative plays. And most was in garbage time. Empty calories. Vs WKY Louisville ran 71 plays. Vs us that number was 86

FSU rushed for 150 but again it took them 36 attempts. 4.2 per carry. And that also does not account for the negative plays we forced. And again FSU ran the most amount of plays vs us

UAB similar outside zone scheme as UL they rushed for 56 yards on 26 attempts

Similarly to LSU last szn, when your offense is clicking and putting up points that give the opponent more opportunities to be on the field. So the counting numbers this szn won’t be as important as the percentages. Things like Yards per play, PPG, red zone efficiency etc. we are gonna give up yards. That’s the nature of the beast when u have a hight tempo high octane offense. The key is keeping teams out of the end zone and limiting big plays. Teams are gunna have the counting stats
You see kids this is what’s called facts.

Advertisement
All good points and I’m very positive about the team but I do worry that a team like Clemson will game plan for

i went back and watched each play in that drive. He takes the wrong steps often at the beginning of plays and loses his assignment 0n misdirection plays.
look, I’m as enthusiastic as anyone about the team and season, but after 24 hours the former coach in me kicks in and I go back and look for mistakes. I don‘t watch highlights, I watch the short comings because they are what needs to be addressed. This doesn’t make a person less of a fan. It’s how any decent coach analyzes film.
‘So if you don’t trust my opinion, go watch the drive. McCloud is fine against the run, but he is not good in pass defense
I just watched the game for a 3rd time focusing on the O-line on Offense and Linebackers on D.

Check out the 3:37 mark of Q2. Holy ****!! What I noticed about McCloud and especially Jennings are the excessive false steps over and over. I know you mentioned Zach doing that but I thought Jennings was worst in the false step category.

The LBs have been fine. BJ and Zach played their best games vs FSU. BJ laid the wood a few times. Yet we still have idiots who want to kill them because they get exposed in coverage like any LB would. They will be tested against Clemson. The fact that ppl tryna find the slimmest thing to ***** about is ridiculous
Man - BJ & Zach did not play their best games. Sorry, but far from it.

Watching replay of game. McCloud wasn't even on field on touchdown play.
You better watch again and on the TD pass, look how he takes himself out of the play biting on the play action. I guess you are right! He wasn’t on the field because he bit so bad on it he took himself off to the sidelines.

Advertisement
Can u name another game in they career where they was better...I’ll wait haha
Zach was better against Louisville. He played very well this game. But not vs UAB and not vs FSU.

as far as BJ, I am still waiting for him to have a good game so you’re right, I can’t name another game 😂😂

We know it's you Ryan Ragone's dad you're not fooling anybody.
you will NEVER see me talking negative about any of our players! I love McCloud and respect the sacrifice he made to come back this season. I am rooting for him every game. I love this program that includes the players and the coaches and I want what is best for the team.

I rewatched FSU’s lone touchdown drive and McCloud was beaten e-5 times on that drive; either because he fell for fake handoffs, was beaten repeatedly by the tight end, missed a tackle and was generally lost. If you watch the touchdown pass, McCloud went with the running back even though there was another defender there, and never saw the pass. He was literally running the wrong direction for the entire play. Blades had the contain but the linebacker has to come from the inside to make the tackle.
McCloud didn’t hurt us against FSU but I am worried that better teams with better offensive game plans will pick on McCloud, especially in the passing game.
‘McCloud is not a 3 down backer and we need to stop using him when teams are sold out for the pass, which may be often this year with the way our offense scores.
This is like the criticism of Harley.

I get it. But the young backers were getting worked too, albeit in garbage time. I'll still take the 5th year senior out there in those critical situations. He does make plays and provides spark. You're more than likely going to get the same amount of busted assignments from a more talented, but very inexperienced young guy in that spot. Linebackers in this D are the weak link in this scheme, and are asked to be borderline savants sometimes in diagnosing plays. That's a tough ask for a young defender.

The biggest thing to come out of that game, besides the *** whooping was the 15 minutes of burn the 2-deep got. That will prove very valuable going forward.

Advertisement
I rewatched FSU’s lone touchdown drive and McCloud was beaten e-5 times on that drive; either because he fell for fake handoffs, was beaten repeatedly by the tight end, missed a tackle and was generally lost. If you watch the touchdown pass, McCloud went with the running back even though there was another defender there, and never saw the pass. He was literally running the wrong direction for the entire play. Blades had the contain but the linebacker has to come from the inside to make the tackle.
McCloud didn’t hurt us against FSU but I am worried that better teams with better offensive game plans will pick on McCloud, especially in the passing game.
‘McCloud is not a 3 down backer and we need to stop using him when teams are sold out for the pass, which may be often this year with the way our offense scores.
Just because there was another defender in the picture, doesn't mean McCloud was in the wrong place. If McCloud was covering the RB, it was probably his assignment.

Your reaction is overstated. If a WR goes in motion and our CB goes with him while the play runs to the side he just vacated for a huge gain, it doesn't mean he made a mistake. It means he was playing man to man coverage doing exactly what he's supposed to do. The same is true for McCloud if the defense was playing man coverage.

Just because there was another defender in the picture, doesn't mean McCloud was in the wrong place. If McCloud was covering the RB, it was probably his assignment.

Your reaction is overstated. If a WR goes in motion and our CB goes with him while the play runs to the side he just vacated for a huge gain, it doesn't mean he made a mistake. It means he was playing man to man coverage doing exactly what he's supposed to do. The same is true for McCloud if the defense was playing man coverage.
We do a lot of twist on the D-line which a lot of times gives the opposing O-line free shots at our linebackers on run plays but McLeod and Jennings also take a lot of false steps and thus they take themselves out of the play.

But I’ll leave this type of film breakdown for @Lance Roffers

Last edited:
Advertisement
We do a lot of twist on the D-line which a lot of times gives the opposing O-line free shots at our linebackers on run plays but McLeod and Jennings also take a lot of false steps and thus they take themselves out of the play.
I agree with that. I just didn't agree with OP's assessment of McCloud on the pass coverage down near the goalline.

I agree with that. I just didn't agree with OP's assessment of McCloud on the pass coverage down near the goalline.
Well on the TD play, he was in the Mike spot lined up over the RG. There was a tight end and a running back.

He bit on the RB play action sweep to the left (his right), leaving Blades to take on a tackle and a guard on his own on that little screen pass to the Tight End that went for 6.

Probably because he’s not elite, and the other woman, i mean backups are always more attractive.

manny was praising his leadership and good game last night in the post game. That’s good enough for me.
Good enough because Manny comes from a top coaching tree and knows best?

I just watched the game for a 3rd time focusing on the O-line on Offense and Linebackers on D.

Check out the 3:37 mark of Q2. Holy ****!! What I noticed about McCloud and especially Jennings are the excessive false steps over and over. I know you mentioned Zach doing that but I thought Jennings was worst in the false step category.
Both take so many bad steps to start a play that they make themselves easier to reach for an O-lineman and make it harder for themselves to reach the edge before the running back. which is why they rarely fill the hole early and rarely get to the edge early

Advertisement
Back