McCloud abused on touchdown drive

I agree with that. I just didn't agree with OP's assessment of McCloud on the pass coverage down near the goalline.
Please go back and watch the play. McCloud bit on the fake and followed the running back, leaving his responsibility based on pre-snap defensive formation, which was the tight end.
But honestly re-watch the entire drive and see how many times the tight end beat McCloud on that drive alone.
AgIan, he’s not bad but it’s a problem in certain situations which good teams with the right personnel will exploit. Think about Clemson, Pitt, UNC and V-tech

Advertisement
I am pretty worried about our LB play this week. If the DL keeps shooting gaps, Etienne is gonna have cutback lanes all over and he can single-handily beat us.

Trevor threw a bunch of INTs at the beginning of last season (then went like 22 TDs with 0 INTs to finish the season), so I think we have to try to pressure him. But that def exposes us to getting gashed in the run game.

Well on the TD play, he was in the Mike spot lined up over the RG. There was a tight end and a running back.

He bit on the RB play action sweep to the left (his right), leaving Blades to take on a tackle and a guard on his own on that little screen pass to the Tight End that went for 6.
Look dude, I'm not defending his whole game. I just resonded to OP's assumptions on 1 coverage play.

RS. Dude talking about truth is never foolish lol. It has nothing to do with the truth. Dude really started a thread about ONE PLAYER ON ONE DRIVE. Not his entire game.

Here is some truth: McCloud is our most athletic LB, and his athleticism stands out in person
U serious?

Advertisement
U serious?
Dead serious. Remember the screen McCloud broke up by jumping up and tipping the pass against Louisville, or the ball he jumped up to tip that was intercepted by Ivey against Pitt last year? Just watch how he explodes when he makes a tfl.

Athleticism is not McClouds issue. It’s as others have said, he and Jennings take to many false steps and I don’t even mean biting on play actions. I mentioned this in my notes from the UL game but they often take a step or two into the wrong gap on run fits. They will start towards an inside gap like they are going to undershoot the play, then when the ball gets bounced to the C gap or outside they get cut off by an olineman or caught in the wash. Our alignment does them no favors but they play a role too.

Been rewatching the FSU game, McCloud is a big liability. Alot of people think we are slow at LB etc, maybe but McCloud is not slow...he is slow to react. I see guards doing a full pull and McCloud is still in his stance. I dont know what keys he is reading, or if he actually knows how to read them, but over and over the blockers are engaging him instead of the other way around. Jennings is not the problem in our run defense, its McCloud. Watch the clips and look how long he takes to recognize plays.

This is inexcusable for a 5th year SR. I see plays where Frierson and Jennings are going down hill and the Guard is about to get his hands on McCloud before he even makes a move. McCloud position is where Pinckney made all those plays from by instantly recognizing plays shooting into the gaps. McCloud needs to be removed from the starting lineup.

Last edited:
Yep. Such drivel *** CIS typical thread.
No not really. The post was accurate. McCloud was completely abused by Clemson tonight. I'm sure McCloud is a great young man but we're not talking about that. We are discussing his skill or lack thereof at LB. Nothing personal but he is brutal!

What's worse and should scare everyone to death is that he has not improved a lick in 5 years here with basically the same staff. It's alarming.

Advertisement
I know this year doesn’t count against players eligibility but this has to be McClouds last year. The coaching staff needs to tell Jennings bye bye as well.

I can see Brooks but Huff seems to be getting passed up by true freshman. Doesn't seem in favor with this staff.
From the few instances that I have seen of Austin-Cave, he has impressed me immensely. Dude is fast. Brooks needs to start from now on, point blank period.

After this play where he tries to fill and is thrown like he weighs as much as pope, we can thank him for his services and focus on young guys..

Alignment looks funky still

Wtf was 8 doing. Just pathetic

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back